Poll Options
View poll results: ??
Yes
83 73%
No
31 27%
Voters: 114.
Page 1 of 2
It seems like it originated as a radio format, for practically anything from the mid-60's to the early 80's. If you listen to a Classic Rock station, they play anything from The Beatles to Led Zeppelin to Captain Beefheart, and a lot of these artists sound nothing alike.

But people still generalize it. Can time period be the sole criteria for a genre?
Well since Classic Rock is referring to a time period, yes it can.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by SHEEM
It's not a genre.

It's a way of life. [/hippiness]

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
classical is agenre, yet has many diverse sounds.

and if metal can be divided into 30 different categories despite similarity then the inverse can be applied.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
i first masterbated when i was... 10, i think
or was it 9...
yeah 10
and i'm catholic, don't tell the pope, i'll be holy watered
It's a genre that encapsulates an era of rock.

But, no, IMO, it shouldn't be the base genre for every band from that time.

Because Rush isn't like Heart. Journey isn't that much like Led Zeppelin. Etc.

Every single band can have another genre that fits them better.

Rush- Progressive Rock
The Allman Brothers- Jam
Jimi Hendrix- Acid Rock

Etc.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by rhakiath

and if metal can be divided into 30 different categories despite similarity then the inverse can be applied.

i don't understand. Math was never my best subject
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

metal=
Avant-garde metal - Black metal - Classic metal - Dark metal - Death metal - Doom metal - Glam metal - Gothic metal - Groove metal - NWOBHM - Power metal - Speed metal - Stoner metal - Symphonic metal - Thrash metal - Viking metal Alternative metal - Christian metal - Folk metal - Funk metal - Grindcore - Industrial metal - Metalcore - Neo-classical metal - Nu metal - Progressive metal - Post-metal - Rapcore - Blackened death metal - Grunge

thats 30.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
or was it 9...
yeah 10
It's an era.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by rhakiath
metal=
Blackened death metal

this iz teh metalz
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by rhakiath
metal=
Avant-garde metal - Black metal - Classic metal - Dark metal - Death metal - Doom metal - Glam metal - Gothic metal - Groove metal - NWOBHM - Power metal - Speed metal - Stoner metal - Symphonic metal - Thrash metal - Viking metal Alternative metal - Christian metal - Folk metal - Funk metal - Grindcore - Industrial metal - Metalcore - Neo-classical metal - Nu metal - Progressive metal - Post-metal - Rapcore - Blackened death metal - Grunge

thats 30.

Grunge is metal? I always thought of it as an extension of hardcore punk
Quote by rhakiath
metal=

thats 30.

are you calling Nirvana metal?

i voted no, cuz i think the term Classic Rock refers to the time period, and not to a unique sound.
If man is 5, if man is 5, if man is 5,
then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, the Devil is 6,
And if the Devil is 6,

then God is 7, then God is 7, then God is 7
This monkey's gone to heaven.
It is a genre, because it just it.

Then how would you describe Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin. They sound alike, but thet are both classic rock.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
nirvana uses metal elements ie high gain and power chords, as well as his vocals. it is a fusion genre between metal and punk, keeping in mind that there are other grunge bands like alice in chains.

also I got the list off wikipedia, it had exactly 30 which was only a guess at how many genres of metal there were.

and deep purple/ led zeppelin were also pioneers of heavy metal.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

Quote by Lil Macker
or was it 9...
yeah 10
Quote by rhakiath
metal=

thats 30.

And there are more.

But rock has even more than metal does. It's a fact, people just don't use them regularly.

Rockabilliy, psychobilly, pop rock, punk rock, pop punk, blues rock, jazz rock, funk rock, math rock, alternative rock, grunge (it's not metal), progressive rock, southern rock, jam, art rock, acid rock, avant-progressive rock, avant garde rock, experimental rock, post rock (very broad term, but it exists), indie rock, soft rock, hard rock, J-Rock, krautrock, emo, screamo, psychadelic rock, latin rock, Christian rock, shock rock, glam rock, folk rock, surf rock, arena rock, and many, many, many more.

I mean, yes, metal has loads of subgenres, but rock has many, many more.

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by GreenDayChris
^ you forgot cock-rock

ARGH!!!

I knew I was forgetting at least one key genre.

Saxo-Walrus

Yes, because not everything from that time period is considered Classic Rock. Barbra Streisand, The Jackson 5, or Earth Wind & Fire aren't played on those radio stations even though they were around at the same time as Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, etc.

Classic Rock does have it's own sound. It's very much like today's Rock, only with much more Blues influence, as well as Psychedelic influence.

It's just like how people refer to the Baroque era or the Romantic era as a genre. Even though the composers weren't identical, the Art of music goes through different stages and different thoughts on ways to compose.
Umm yes its a real genre. What else do you call it?
Quote by powerhead
Mentallica, i think you just made my drive shank crank

Quote by beadhangingOne

You sir, are a true hero.

Quote by silversoulcage
Dude, seriously, you're an ass hole. That place where **** comes out, yea that's you man.
barbara streisand and the jackson 5? not funny.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

Quote by Lil Macker
or was it 9...
yeah 10
Quote by rhakiath
metal=

thats 30.

Alternative metal? And the ones I've taken the liberty to highlight can hardly be considered metal, if at all.

/elitism
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
Just because the bands are diverse unlike most of the genres all of you will list, doesn't mean they can't be in the same genre.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by rhakiath
barbara streisand and the jackson 5? not funny.

Barbara Streisand did have some good songs. She may not have been the best looking thing on the planet, but she did have talent.

And the Jackson 5 had some amazing songs. I challenge anyone to hear "ABC" and not want to dance

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by The Madcap
Yes, because not everything from that time period is considered Classic Rock. Barbra Streisand, The Jackson 5, or Earth Wind & Fire aren't played on those radio stations even though they were around at the same time as Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, etc.

That's becuase they aren't rock to start with.

Classic rock refers to rock music from that era. Bands like the Velvet Underground, Big Star or Can are rock bands from that era so are classic rock but are not even close in sound to bands like Free or Deep Purple or the Eagles or w/e.

Although, whenever I think of classic rock I automatically think of those kinds of bands anyway
Classic rock is not a genre, there are "classic rock" bands that have nothing in common but the time they were formed so no.
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Classic Rock is Rock Music from a certain era, usually the 60's and 70's.

In the end, I think it's pointless arguing about 30 genres, because to most people, there's not a big difference. When I listen to Opeth or Arch Enemy, I don't really think about what subgenre of metal I'm listening to.

And besides, to my parents, for example, anything played with distortion is "heavy" and not worth listening to.

Most people don't care. Why specify?
It's like... punk.
Punk changes constantly. There's no SET punk.... yet people call it punk.
Classic rock is classic, and it's rock

Classic+ rock= classic rock.

Emo was called a genre... yet it means emotional? And any music is emotional to some degree.

Not soulja boy, but yeah... emo generallizes all music if you think about it.
So... I like classic punk. That could be a genre.
Last edited by Fryer Mike at Jan 26, 2008,
Quote by rhakiath

Actually, classical, baroque, romantic, etc. are all separate genres.

Same with classic rock, I'm pretty sure stuff like led Zeppelin, Aerosmith and the Stones fall under classic rock, while the Beatles and Captain Beefheart are more pop.
Dickless.
Quote by rhakiath
metal=

thats 30.

Melodic death metal - Brutal death metal - Slamming Brutal death metal - Technical (brutal) death metal... (yeah kinda death metal fan)
but anywaaayz, that makes 35
Quote by MetalMilitia212

Same with classic rock, I'm pretty sure stuff like led Zeppelin, Aerosmith and the Stones fall under classic rock, while the Beatles and Captain Beefheart are more pop.

Pop isn't really a genre either though.
Quote by MetalMilitia212

Romantic, Baroque, Dark age, etc...

..those are all eras. Which had classical musicians making classical music.
The thing is... back then, they weren't calling themselves classical music...

And in the 60s- the 80s and stuff, they weren't calling themselves classic rock.
It's all opinionized, I think. It also depends the current era.
Current rock could be called classic rock in a couple decades.
Quote by rhakiath
metal=

thats 30.

Is noone else reminded of Bubba off of Forrest Gump?
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by Fryer Mike

Emo was called a genre... yet it means emotional? And any music is emotional to some degree.

No, it's emotional-hardcore. It's a genre that grew out of Washington DC Punk/hardcore scene of the 80s.
Well it's like the Goth/post-punk movement of the early 80s.... the Cure don't sound like Fields of the Nephilim don't sound like Bauhaus, yet they were all lumped in under the same term, because they did have some similarities tying them together.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
No, it's emotional-hardcore. It's a genre that grew out of Washington DC Punk/hardcore scene of the 80s.

Shut up. I hear that SOO often...
When did rock start? Exactly...

It's also pretty stupid how you can get the **** kicked out of you because you listen to forms of music...

Have you ever seen a classical musician get the sh*t kicked out of him because he does whatever with classical music?

How can a genre possibly become a fasion, and a type of person?

Yeah....
Page 1 of 2