Im just wondering whether my MIM fretless has enough poly to withstand roundwounds. Its still the factory finish

I asked fender and they said it was a 'thin coat' Is a thin coat enough?

Thanks
I've had 2 necks - both epoxied, and yes, a thin coat is enough.

Jaco himself said he brushed on 6 layers of epoxy (poly's the same for all intents and purposes), letting it dry for 1 day in between layers. He wrote this to a fan whose letter is somewhere on www.jacop.net
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I've had 2 necks - both epoxied, and yes, a thin coat is enough.

Jaco himself said he brushed on 6 layers of epoxy (poly's the same for all intents and purposes), letting it dry for 1 day in between layers. He wrote this to a fan whose letter is somewhere on www.jacop.net

That's what I thought but never did the proper research. I probably shot 10 layers of Polyurethane on my friend's fretless, to get an almost mirror-finish, because he preferred the rounds' pop, and which wore out the initial coat.

I figured so many layers of Poly, which gets really hard, would approximate this "magic" epoxy that people kept talking about. So far, so good.

Actually, poly holds up better on fretboards than epoxy. Epoxy is meant to absorb impact damage more than anything, and epoxy is known to peel. Poly is meant to absorb wear and tear, and poly is known to chip. Strings on the fretboard would cause a material to peel from friction as opposed to chipping from it, ya dig?

That said, how did you get 10 layers of poly to evenly coat a fingerboard? And to get a mirrory, non streaky/clumpy finish?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..