I have an old Sigma accoustic, from the 70's or 80's. I think there might be a sharp edge on the fretboard, or the bridge(probably the bridge). The past three sets of strings I put on it, after 2 weeks, the G string has a always started fraying, resulting in horrible tone, and a sort of rattling noise whenever I hit the string from the 9th fret, or down. Whats happening is the outer layer of the string is peeling, or fraying. What could the problem be, and how much would it cost to fix it? Its a great guitar, with an amazing neck, I really hope this can be solved easily. Thanks, and if the info I give isn't that good, its probably because I'm sick, and not thinking that clearly.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

what kind of strings are you using? elixirs have somewhat of a reputation for the G being wound poorly, so if you are using elixirs it might be the strings and not your guitar
I'm using Martin 10s.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

I went through 2 sets of Martins last week, both sets the "G" string wore through the outer winding at the 2nd fret. One set lasted only one practice session (4hrs) no kidding. I changed brands, but i simply love the bright sound & ease of bends with the Martins, oh well i want them to last longer than 4 hrs, LOL
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Where is it coming unwound? Bridge or nut? THat sounds like either bad strings or a sharp spot on either the nut or bridge, which is not common with acoustics. If it's coming unwound in the middle you could have a burr on a fret, just as unlikely but possible.

Buzzing from the 9th fret down...down meaning toward the sound hole or toward the nut? that would indicate either the bridge saddle needs to be raised a bit or the nut needs to be shimmed, and the neck also may not have enough backbow, which would mean a truss rod adjustment.

I would say have a professional look at it, at least without a better description I can only guess at what's going on.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...