what are some good jazz guitarists, im going to play something jazzy for my berklee audtion
John Scofield.
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
frank zappa isn't really jazz for the most part.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
You don't have to look for jazz guitarists only. Instrumental voicing is very interchangeable in jazz, so you can learn any lick from any instrumentalists. I recommend classic bebop licks from Charlie Parker.

You can't be "jazzy", or faux-jazz. Listen to and analyze jazz musicians intensively to get a feel of the language of jazz. Otherwise, the judges are going to see that you don't really know jazz and you're just being pretentious.

Other than Parker, I recommend Wes, Joe Pass, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Thelonious Monk, John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Ted Greene.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
You don't have to look for jazz guitarists only. Instrumental voicing is very interchangeable in jazz, so you can learn any lick from any instrumentalists. I recommend classic bebop licks from Charlie Parker.

You can't be "jazzy", or faux-jazz. Listen to and analyze jazz musicians intensively to get a feel of the language of jazz. Otherwise, the judges are going to see that you don't really know jazz and you're just being pretentious.

Other than Parker, I recommend Wes, Joe Pass, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Thelonious Monk, John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Ted Greene.

I agree, if you haven't studied jazz, which I assume you haven't from the nature of your question, then you run the risk of standing out like a sore thumb in a group of guitarists who have a jazz back ground.
Check out Buckethead's Population Override, rather jazzy and guitar-y.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Quote by Kiwi Ace
I agree, if you haven't studied jazz, which I assume you haven't from the nature of your question, then you run the risk of standing out like a sore thumb in a group of guitarists who have a jazz back ground.

Quite right.

Quote by sebastian_96
Check out Buckethead's Population Override, rather jazzy and guitar-y.

What a horrible suggestion.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
^Have you heard the album?
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Quote by sebastian_96
^Have you heard the album?

Yes.

Have you heard real jazz?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Yes.

Have you heard real jazz?

Yes.

He asked for good jazz guitarists, in that album he plays jazz guitar.
Unless I missed where he said "What are some good jazz guitarists that Xiaoxi approve of"...

Everyone else said the other guitarists I would have said, so said a different one.

Next time I answer a question, I'll come to you first to make sure you're ok with it

the muffin!
Last edited by sebastian_96 at Jan 27, 2008,
Quote by sebastian_96
Yes.

He asked for good jazz guitarists, in that album he plays jazz guitar.
So you just basically lied?

Evidently, you obviously have never heard actual jazz. And by heard, I mean, to actually sit down and listen, not glanced over at a split second of "jazz" on a TV commercial.

Why don't you try my suggestion, and spare yourself any further embarrassment. Please at least know a bit about the subject before you talk about it.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
So you just basically lied?

Evidently, you obviously have never heard actual jazz. And by heard, I mean, to actually sit down and listen, not glanced over at a split second of "jazz" on a TV commercial.

Why don't you try my suggestion, and spare yourself any further embarrassment. Please at least know a bit about the subject before you talk about it.

I studied jazz for a year.

I'm so very sorry I didn't want to make a useless post in saying a guitarist that had already been said. I was jusy trying broaden it up a bit.

Obviously I offended you, but I'm not apoligizing cause you acted like a complete dick.

the muffin!
Quote by sebastian_96
I studied jazz for a year.

I'm so very sorry I didn't want to make a useless post in saying a guitarist that had already been said. I was jusy trying broaden it up a bit.

Obviously I offended you, but I'm not apoligizing cause you acted like a complete dick.

Well, the reason for that is simple: I act like a dick because you're spewing bullshit.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Well, the reason for that is simple: I act like a dick because you're spewing bullshit.

the muffin!
ahem... a little excerpt from the berklee audition page:

Berklee embraces and values all music styles so you should prepare a piece that you are comfortable with and displays your strengths as a musician. It should be approximately 3-5 minutes in length, in any style, which demonstrates your instrumental proficiency and your overall musicianship. Do not choose a piece or a style of music you think the audition team wants to hear. Rather, select a piece that puts your "best foot forward" and highlights what you feel represents your best playing. Ultimately, the audition is a discovery process and we want to find out what you do well.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
ahem... a little excerpt from the berklee audition page:

Oh yea, I should've mentioned that in the first place. lol.

TS, you are better off just playing whatever is natural for you. Don't attempt to play "jazzy" music unless you want to waste your time, money, and efforts.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana