okay apparently im a huge retard for posting this in the pit, but im a noob so :P. any ways.

okay so I have desided on the design I want to paint on my new strat, I'll upload a picture, I'm just kind of confused as to how I should go about doing it, since it is 3 colours, and there is a bit of detail. Do I use a brush? or do i tediously mask it off and use 3 layers of paint?

oh the guitar is currently black by the way.

picture coming.
Seek out the user lppon on here, he's great. I'm not as good as lppon, but I'd personally sand off the black down to the wood of the guitar. Maybe some primer? Then give it the orange coat. You might wanna get someone with a steady hand to handpaint that tree, perhaps a stencil? Cool design by the way, that should look cool.
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
PM me for a spray painting tutorial. Cheap, relatively easy, factory-like results.

edit: I'll also tell you how to do that tree. Looks cool.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Jan 26, 2008,
Quote by i(ncubus)play
Seek out the user lppon on here, he's great. I'm not as good as lppon, but I'd personally sand off the black down to the wood of the guitar. Maybe some primer? Then give it the orange coat. You might wanna get someone with a steady hand to handpaint that tree, perhaps a stencil? Cool design by the way, that should look cool.

(Invalid img)

The simplest way would be:
  • Scuff sand with 200 grit to remove the gloss. There's no need to go to bare wood.
  • Smooth it further by sanding with 400 grit, wipe off the dust with a damp cloth, then spray your sanding sealer/primer.
  • After letting it dry for about 30 minutes, spray the Brown colorcoat for the trunk, spray the Green colorcoat for the leaves.
  • After about 30 minutes, mask off the trunk and leaves.
  • When cutting the mask, go through it twice, don't cut in the first pass since the paint is still soft.
  • Spray the Orange colorcoat. Wait an hour and peel off the mask very carefully.
  • Wetsand the demarcation lines between the trunk, leaves, and the Orange background with 2000 grit that you soaked overnight.
  • Clearcoat 3X in one day, separated by an hour between each coat.
  • The following day, Clearcoat 3X again. Wetsand with high grit if there's orange peel.
  • Repeat the clearcoating the 3rd day.
  • Wait a month, then buff/polish.

You can use Nitro or Acrylic in a spraycan.

...I want to take it to wood, the reason is, the finish on it is cracked, as well as, if you layer the paint on too much, it takes away from the guitars tendency to resonate
Quote by i(ncubus)play
Cool design by the way, that should look cool.

thanks, im getting alot of people on here who are all "THATS GAY!" cause im not painting it black with a skull on it or something lol. Btw Incubus rocks, went to see them in toronto in august, kicked total ass.
Check out my site in sig, it has lots of tips for painting guitars, including project logs of the ones i have built and painted. Also sign up for the forum

*No advertising in signature*