Ok I have been playing guitar for almost 4 years and all this time I've been using a crappy Squier. I have a FirstAct practice amp and I can play Eruption. So obviously I need to step up my equipment, because my friends and I are forming a band and that junk isn't going to cut it.

I recently started working at our local department store and I've got 900 dollars in my checking account and I want to buy some new equipment. I need a new guitar and a new amp capable of gigging so...

I play: MUSE, Hardcore/Metalcore, Heavy Metal but not like that Disturbed kinda metal more like Haste the Day and The Devil Wears Prada

Here is my dilhema, either buy:

Schecter Tempest Custom (White): $ 600
w/ Rio Grande Crunchbox/Punchbox Pickups $286

OR

PLEASE GIVE ME IDEAS FOR A GOOD LOUD CHEAP GIGGING AMP
Any amp (preferrably tube amp) capable of gigging in a small venue that costs under or around $900. I really don't know what kind of amp I want for gigging, but anything that holds distortion well and is loud, really loud.

So which one should I get first? In a few months a will be able to buy all of it but which one should I get right now?
Last edited by Rocknbird at Jan 26, 2008,
Either way, I think. Your tone won't improve much until you get new of both.. So, whichever you can find a good deal on first I guess.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Get an amp. Your guitar will sound much better through a new map than a great guitar would sound through that first act.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
New amp, at least it'll make you sound a bit better.

And why do you need $280 pickups in your guitar? You wouldn't even be able to tell the difference, at all, through the amp you have, even with a new amp it would be a subtle change from the pickups that come stock in it. Not worth it if you're on a budget.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Amp. Your Squier will sound good through a good amp. But no guitar, not even a Les Paul Supreme, will sound good in through your First Act. So, amp first.

For gigs, you'll need a 30/50 watt tube. They are REALLY loud. 30 watt tube is much louder than SS amps. A 6505 combo might be good. I've also heard good things about the Kustom 36 Coupe. They go for $600 new on eBay(the Kustom), but on MF, they charge $800.
Are you looking for a zombie online game?
Join the survivors at Dead Frontier
Coming out March 2008

DON'T GET A MARSHALL MG OR A LINE 6 SPIDER.
Put this in your sig if you don't like the usual threads about these amps.
Well as for music what do you play? I can think of a few amps in that price range...
B-52 AT-100 (high gain amp)
Peavey Windsor (best for classic rock and some 80's metal)
Peavey Classic 30 (classic rock and cleans)
Crate V Series
Fender Hot Rod Series (Cleans and classic rock)
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by Rocknbird
If I buy any amp head does it matter what cabinet I hook it up to?

absolutely.
What kinda of music do you listen to?
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by Rocknbird
I listen to MUSE and Metal, like Hardcore music

randall (something)50tc.
Its good for metal, all tube, and loud as hell.
And you'll have a good start to a guitar.

EDIT:
Here
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG50TC-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481197
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
i would look at a Peavy windsor stack, becuase jeremy of the devil wears prada used a marshall jcm 800 and a peavy windsor is basically a poor mans jcm, then get a good tubescreamer like a ibanez ts9dx. boost it and you cant get pretty much all the tones for hardcore/metal/melodic death metal/metalcore sounds. ive done it and its awsome sound. the only draw back, no clean sound. but you dont really need it for those genres. if you get serious into a band then you could buy another amp for the cleans and use a morely.