I'm looking for the best guitar/amp for metal. Death, Thrash, Heavy, Black, all kinds of different metal. I currently have a Les Paul Junior Model Guitar with a Line 6 Spider III 75W Amp. I'll upgrade later on when I get better so what's the guitar/amp I should get? Nothing in the thousands just a few hundreds.
I'm not big on the topic of metal. But when I see these threads I always see the Peavey 5150 pop up.

Whichever guitar feels comfortable. get that i guess ;\.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Quote by Fatso Forgottso
I'm gonna go the typical UG route and suggest a used 6160. or 5150. (Peavey)

Quote by Fatso Forgottso
I'm gonna go the typical UG route and suggest a used 6505. or 5150. (Peavey)

Fixed.

For amps, Used:

Peavey 5150/6505
Peavey JSX
Peavey XXX
Mesa F-30/F-50
Mesa DC-3/DC-5
Carvin V3

Go for a combo.

For guitar, anything that feels good that doesn't have a crap tremolo on it (that is if you want a tremolo).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jan 26, 2008,
Quote by giantsfanftw
Actually for the price the line 6 isn't even bad

Nice try tho

For the price Line 6 is, it's awful.
You can get decent all tube amps for the same price as those pieces of ****.
If it's not got enough volume for gigs, then get the soundguys to mic it up. If it's not got enough gain, get an overdrive pedal. I'd much rather have a Valve Junior miced up by a 57 with a tubescreamer in front of it than a Spider 3 that's loud enough to make your head explode that sounds like gash.
Quote by giantsfanftw
Actually for the price the line 6 isn't even bad

Nice try tho

honestly its all subjective, but the line 6 spider series doesnt have a great sound for metal, its rather digital, and bland, if you like it, cool, but i think if you tried a high gain tube amp, you would see why people generally dont use spiders, its all up to you though, if you like it keep it, for guitars get something with a fast neck and active emgs, and one of the amps mentioned above if you feel like a more distinct metal tone
i would suggest like a mesa mark IV. and if you want something a bit more easy going look at the carvin V3 and get a vadar cab. for both of those heads. which ever one you choose.
Quote by convictionless
i would suggest like a mesa mark IV. and if you want something a bit more easy going look at the carvin V3 and get a vadar cab. for both of those heads. which ever one you choose.

Or a Mark III. from my experiences, it's even better than the Mark IV for metal
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Framus - Cobra or dragon
Peavey 6505
Engl Fireball / powerball
H&K Tri amp
Deziel
Krank.......ect
Guitars:
LTD MHNT250 (Bare Knuckle Warpig in Bridge)
AMP/Cab:
Peavey 6505
Marshall 1960A Cab
Rack:
Korg DTR-1000 Rack Tuner
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
DBX 266 XL Compressor
Check out my band!:
Revenance
Quote by Dream Pin
For the price Line 6 is, it's awful.
You can get decent all tube amps for the same price as those pieces of ****.
If it's not got enough volume for gigs, then get the soundguys to mic it up. If it's not got enough gain, get an overdrive pedal. I'd much rather have a Valve Junior miced up by a 57 with a tubescreamer in front of it than a Spider 3 that's loud enough to make your head explode that sounds like gash.

And what exactly makes it a "piece of ****"?
Well IF you wanna be really cheap, then get a valveking, its a good start.

Or get an used-

6505 or 5150, like suggested above
Engl fireballs are really good, and built for metal
Jsx is a really versatile amp.
and The mesa F-10/50/100, or Mark IV

Aren't the mark IIIs discontinued?

As for guitar, You can always try Ibanez, or ESP, LTD, Jackson, or maybe even Carvin but carvins are a bit expensive
get a randall rc with a epiphone mahogany bodied guitar, bareknuckle pups and sperzel tuners
Quote by sum_ugly_man

Aren't the mark IIIs discontinued?

Yes they are, but it's not difficult to a used one
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
i would not recommend F-50 for death metal without some kind of OD. look into the greenscreamer (like the one i have), tx9, od808, ocd, or something along those lines if you get an f50.

though with a nice od ( i have the level at about 3 o clock, the gain about 7 o clock on my green screamer) it can get very very death metally.
Last edited by rky at Jan 26, 2008,
Did you people not read his post? He says he wants and amp that's a few hundred, not in the thousands... All these Mark IV, Diezel, Framus and Engl recommendations are over his budget.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I use an ENGL powerball, and I don't see myself replacing it for another metal-amp any time soon, if ever.

Peavy has quite a few not-so-expensive amps with plenty of metal in them. The Bandit 112 is actually quite good for the price you pay. It's amongst the best rhythm amps I've tried, if you we're talking combos. Don't go Fender, and don't go Marshall. I'd have a look at a Bandit 112 if I was you. The amount of bass and mid you find in that thing is quite impressive. Not the strongest high-end, but it will get you there!
Last edited by Cuddrow at Jan 26, 2008,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Fixed.

For amps, Used:

Peavey 5150/6505
Peavey JSX
Peavey XXX
Mesa F-30/F-50
Mesa DC-3/DC-5
Carvin V3

Go for a combo.

For guitar, anything that feels good that doesn't have a crap tremolo on it (that is if you want a tremolo).

+1.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Krank Rev Jr's seem to get good reviews. It's a 20 watt halfstack but you could mike it up for big gigs but it would still cut the ice in a smaller gig unmiked and it's not in the thousands of dollars range.

But I'm not clued up about metal so don't take my word for it.
well whats your budget? if its under 1000 USD get what i recommended, if 1500 USD get a tokai loverock ls150 w/bareknuckles and sperzels and graphtec nut
carvin v3
maxon overdrive
holy grail plus
memory man deluxe (all used)