Ok.. here's my deal.
I'd like to start recording songs I've written and I wanna know what I'd need.
I sing, play guitar and bass.. so I'm guessing i'll be needing some drum program?
Computer- laptop or desktop and what kind?
Recording interfaces- USB or firewire or what? I'd only prefer anything with zero or very low latency.
Recording programs- any suggestions?
Any terms I'd need to know [about], for example- plugins? VSTi?
Anything else I'd need?
one more thing- I'm kinda on a budget, [$1,500] so.. keep that in mind, please?
Thanks for any help!
Last edited by Anonymouslyours at Jan 26, 2008,
The logic programs are excellent. Also, look into some sort of firewire interface, because those usually work the best with a good quality soundcard. What kind of computer do you have?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
lexicon omega usb interface/preamp. comes with Cubase LE software which is good enough if ur starting out. and u dont need a high end computer 2 run it. and it comes with decent enough pluggins and will get u goin pretty well. also look at getting urself a mic and mic lead. id recomend a SM57, just cause i think they are the best to record guitars. The lexicon has a DI on it so u can plug ur bass stright into the interface.
GUITARS:
Rickenbacker 650D
Jackson RR5
Jackson DX10D Rhoads (EMG 81/85)
Jackson Dinky (dimebucker)
Epiphone les paul custom
Godin freeway floyd
AMPS:
Hughes and Kettner triliogy head + 4x12 cab
Line 6 spider 2 head w/ marshall 1960 B cab
for the most basic recording you can buy a cheap mic for your computer at an electronic store. maybe $10. then all you need is Audacity ( http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/ ).

beyond that, there are endless options, i haven't really experimented enough to give you strong advice.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
how about a line 6 toneport? - the UX2 would probably be best since it has phantom power for condenser mics (which are best for vocals)
it comes with ableton live lite but it restricts you to only 4 tracks so maybe a different program would be better?
Quote by stradivari310
The logic programs are excellent. Also, look into some sort of firewire interface, because those usually work the best with a good quality soundcard. What kind of computer do you have?

Looking to get a new one- whatever I can afford that will work with whatevers suggested.
Quote by garyd7
how about a line 6 toneport? - the UX2 would probably be best since it has phantom power for condenser mics (which are best for vocals)
it comes with ableton live lite but it restricts you to only 4 tracks so maybe a different program would be better?

Yeah I was looking at that.
I was just wondering if it was compatible with other programs.
yeah, on the box it says it is compatible with "the most popular recording programs" but i'm not too sure what ones so you'd be best checking just to be on the safe side
Quote by garyd7
yeah, on the box it says it is compatible with "the most popular recording programs" but i'm not too sure what ones so you'd be best checking just to be on the safe side

Alright, thanks for the help!
Quote by JamesKirtlan
lexicon omega usb interface/preamp. comes with Cubase LE software which is good enough if ur starting out. and u dont need a high end computer 2 run it. and it comes with decent enough pluggins and will get u goin pretty well. also look at getting urself a mic and mic lead. id recomend a SM57, just cause i think they are the best to record guitars. The lexicon has a DI on it so u can plug ur bass stright into the interface.

Cool.
Thanks for the info!
I need a recorder of some sort just for recording small riffs I invent while practicing. Nothing worthy of a proper recording, just a recording device to use like a "scratchpad." My phone would even be good enough if it held more than 60 seconds of audio, and if it had a more usable interface. Surely something like that exists, but I couldn't turn up anything that small via searches of the forum history. I'm sure Radio Shack will have something usable, but wondered if anyone has any thoughts on that. [This is probably not worthy of a new thread]
I had a lot of trouble finding "cheapo" devices... but you're right, with the price of multi-track recorders, I guess saving up for one is the only thing that makes sense! I'm quite impressed. I'll keep looking, I do need something for now as well.
that Boss Micro Br
is basically all you need
Itunes podcast!
search DJ Shi

Schecter Damien-6
B.C. Rich warlock w/ zakk wylde bullseye
Digi-tech Synth Wah
Ibanez WD-& Wah Pedal
Fender G-DEC