Im stoked I wrote a couple songs got a few people into my music yea.

I wanna get it on the internet. But the whole Audacity thing is way outta my league.

(note I dont want all this professional stuff.. I just want to get like literally a sample of it on the internet since im not the richest of rockers ) I can record it to my cell phone.. I dont know if I can email it to myself? but I do got this mic

Mic clearly has the jack, I put it into the red hole in the back of computer.. mic input? (again crappy mic but.. goin with what I got )

Now I really dont know what software to use.. because last time I tried audacity, I got just about no noise at all. Yes I was playin loud with the mic next to the amp. When I turned my computers speakers all the way up I could hear MASSIVE static and just barly what I was playin every once in a while.. like just BARLY.

So I really dont know what to do now help :\
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Peavey Triumph 112 120W all tube
Takamine EG333C
How is it not compatibile? It plugs in..........
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Takamine EG333C
wats that
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Takamine EG333C
Many microphones need external power to run and phantom power is often provided by a preamp (which has phantom power) or a phantom power source.
Some microphones have batteries inside them, others need phantom power.

You can get phantom power cheaply in units like the "ART Tube MP Studio Mic Preamp" (as seen in my signature) which can be picked up for $30 on MusiciansFriend.com

Have you tried googling the model number of your Mic to find some kind of documentation?
I wouldn't splurge money on phantom power if it's not what you need.

The first solution I would try (however simple it would seem; and I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but sometimes simple is best) would be to check your microphone volume levels in windows volume controls (recording side) and to check your recording levels in audacity (at the top).

The control in audacity:

I cant send you a picture of the windows control panel, because I'm using vista and my soundcard's controls.

Also, check to see if you have the correct recording device selected in audacity under Edit>Preferences

(I'm guessing you should have the correct one selected if you could hear something barely, but it doesn't hurt to check)

Should look something like this:
its not as simple as just plugging in, there electronics of the mic might not be compatible with a computers sound card.
Ah yes its not a battery mic. But I dont know, really which playback/recording device I want help there would be nice.

But i probably do need a preamp eh?

Damn, I want to get my music up and get a local band going.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Takamine EG333C
It depends based on your system and what you're running. But the Microsoft default sound mapper should work if it's selected.
But for example, you wouldn't want to have your Line out (what's going through your speakers) selected or something like that, unless you were streaming music off the internet and recording it for theft purposes, or something strange like that. =P

Do you have a normal computer microphone? Because if you could test recording with that and get sound, we would have narrowed the problem down to the mic you're using, as opposed to your volume settings or something.
yea :\
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Takamine EG333C
Yeah, that's wouldn't help at all. =[

I suppose you could maybe see if you could borrow a computer mic from a friend or something, because I'd rather not advise you to buy anything to find that's not what you needed.
Hey you know what ill just buy a computer mic.

If you could link me to one from best buy or target or something.. so I know im gettin the right thing.

Just curious.. whats the difference in the mics?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Takamine EG333C
Last edited by MxPxPanic at Jan 26, 2008,
Is that fixable^?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Takamine EG333C