hi i have the valve jr head and cabinet. i have seen people run 2 VJ cabinets with this head. how is that possible i see on the back of the head a jack for 4ohms, 8 ohms, 16 ohms. the cabinet is 16ohms. is it just a adapter i buy keep it plugged in to 16ohms one or what. i'm curious to know cause one day i when money isn't tight, it would be nice to have a another cabinet.
Just so you know, there won't really be a huge advantage to having another cabinet.

It would be better to purchase a higher-wattage amp.
High as tits
i just would like my question answered i have seen 2 vj cabinets with head i just never looked behind the stack to see how it was connected up.
Many cabs have two jacks on the back wired in parallel. When you plug two 8 ohm cabs into the Vjr they will be 4 ohms. However, wiring varies so it's nice to know what you are doing and how to verify the ohms of any particular hookup.

Typically you run a cable from the amp to the cab and then from the second jack on that cab to the next cab. You could also get wire and mono 1/4" jacks and make your own splitter cables. Again, it pays to know what you are doing.
i use two 1x12 cabs. each cab is 8 ohms.

you run out from the 4 ohm in the back of the head to one cab, and then run a second wire to the second 8 ohm amp from that cab.

and 8ohm + 8ohm = 4ohm

if you follow this page....
http://www.legendarytones.com/ohms.html
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by fender
hi i have the valve jr head and cabinet. i have seen people run 2 VJ cabinets with this head. how is that possible i see on the back of the head a jack for 4ohms, 8 ohms, 16 ohms. the cabinet is 16ohms. is it just a adapter i buy keep it plugged in to 16ohms one or what. i'm curious to know cause one day i when money isn't tight, it would be nice to have a another cabinet.

Like the guy above me posted, you take the head into the 4ohm, then another cable from the other 8ohm jack to the second cabinets 8ohm jack.

The reason why I said what I said before was, there is not real benefit to playing a 5 watt head over two 1x12 cabs. It won't make it louder, it will add a little resonance, but over-all it's just a waste of money. I am just trying to help you make a better decision, and save you some money.
High as tits
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
Like the guy above me posted, you take the head into the 4ohm, then another cable from the other 8ohm jack to the second cabinets 8ohm jack.

The reason why I said what I said before was, there is not real benefit to playing a 5 watt head over two 1x12 cabs. It won't make it louder, it will add a little resonance, but over-all it's just a waste of money. I am just trying to help you make a better decision, and save you some money.

i had two 1x12s. hooking up to both of them REALLY spreads out the sound. i actually love the way it sounds with both cabs hooked up. just saying.

and for the guy above this.

head-------->cab<=====>cab.

i use one line out from the head 4 ohms. and the two 8 ohms cabs are chained. together.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

you know what? im not sure. i wired mine up myself. it's not like you couldnt add a double jack to it anyway. i mean if I can wire one. man, it's simple.

edit:
also, i was just clearing up how i get two 8 ohm speakers to = 4ohms.

but there are many different ways to do this. maybe you can look over the site i linked.

i reread what i wrote and didnt want you to get the wrong idea. there is more than one way to wire up cabs.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Jan 26, 2008,
Quote by Mockingbird452
So, if you hook the two cabs up to the head. The 4 ohms and 8 ohms outputs will be used right? Each output going to a seperate cab?
Wrong. Do not do this! Only use one output from the Vjr.