Watch this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy6QBL3WUQw&feature=related

From 30 seconds onwards, this is pretty awesome, even though what he is playing isn't that interesting.

What scale is this? How would one be able to go up and down the scale all along the neck playing legato like this? Obviously theory knowedge is involved but something tells me he isn't just using box shapes.
How can you transition from one shape to the next fluidly like that? Can you use slides to move into the next shape?
Quote by XtAsY2007
How can you transition from one shape to the next fluidly like that? Can you use slides to move into the next shape?

It's all in the phrasing. When you become familiar with the scales, you'll be able to run through the entire fretboard. I wouldn't think of it in terms of shapes so much though - that thinking will only lock you into closed patterns. Think in terms of the scales and notes.
Look on all-guitar-chords.com (not sure if that's the proper URL sorry) get the scales up, then every note from the harmonic minor scale (or whatever scale you want to learn) go it in E, then just learn it linearly (each string at a time) then play it til you remember it, I find that learning it a string at a time rather than a pattern at a time makes it a lot easier to move up and down the fretboard.