Okay i want to get a 7 string custom guitar which does everything (or most things) for me. I would like a strat shimmery tone so maybe an ash body or ash top, however i would like the low end beef of a les paul so mahogany as well.

Would it be conceivable to have an ash top, mahogany back and neck(251/2 scale and ebony fretboard and also use HSH combo with coil taps)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14ccTXR7BQo

I was really impressed with the sound of the carvin dc..really dark strat tone but with low end from the scale but i would still like a beefy tone.
Last edited by Raaaaar at Jan 26, 2008,
What kind of music are you planning on playing with it? I know that Tony MacAlpine uses Carvin stuff, and he gets a pretty good shred/metal tone out of them. And one of my friends plays almost exclusively blues, and he swears by his Carvin. Carvin makes really good stuff, the only downside is that you can't test it at a shop, since its all factory-direct.
Quote by metallifan3091
What kind of music are you planning on playing with it? I know that Tony MacAlpine uses Carvin stuff, and he gets a pretty good shred/metal tone out of them. And one of my friends plays almost exclusively blues, and he swears by his Carvin. Carvin makes really good stuff, the only downside is that you can't test it at a shop, since its all factory-direct.

ill probably get a custom guitar in the uk since im here, and i play all styles. I know a lot about carvins the question is more in relation to the woods.
I honestly think that, in this day and age, you can get practically anything you want from a custom shop, as far as wood goes. Is there a particular reason you want a mahogany neck, rather than maple?
Quote by metallifan3091
I honestly think that, in this day and age, you can get practically anything you want from a custom shop, as far as wood goes. Is there a particular reason you want a mahogany neck, rather than maple?

1. im not saying i cant get anything i am asking about the sound im trying to achieve

2. its in the first post
I'm sorry. I missed the part about the neck before. I think that the two different woods would probably give you both tones that you're looking for, but, to be honest, I'm not really sure. The only guitars I've played that have different woods have maple tops. I don't think I've ever seen one with an ash top. I just found a custom guitar shop's site that has a list of possible tonewood options, and its not a listed option there. Its a pretty extensive list, so I don't even know if you can get it that way. Plus, I think (and don't quote me on this) that a guitar with an ash top and mahogany back and neck would be really heavy, especially considering that you want a seven string. Do you want a neck-thru or a set neck?