Yeah. I've made the design for the body/headstock, but there are still a few problems with actually making the parts, mainly the neck. Either way, i'll post the design.

Obviously the body of the guitar. The actual shape will be smoothed out once it's put on the wood for the body. That was just a quick trace of a scan in photoshop.

Headstock ^

I'm not sure if I should do a bolt on neck or not, because to be honest, I have no idea how to build a neck.

Another issue I'm wondering about is the bridge/intonation issues. Is that position of my bridge gonna matter with intonation or other issues when getting the guitar string and actually playable? Or does it just have to be lined up correctly and that's it?

this will be my first guitar so I'm taking it nice and slow and asking a lot of questions, haha.

Thanks
Yes the position of the bridge is going to affect the intonation. Intonation is the distance from the nut to the 12th fret, and the distance from the 12th fret to the bridge. IF its not the same, then your tuning will be ****ed up.

And I'd suggest that you go bolt on and buy a neck from warmoth or something because the neck can be very tricky

Good luck bud
the neck is the hardest part. many people would suggest you get a pre-made neck, or at least fret board for your first guitar. if your dead set on making your own try the search bar, I think somebody has posted a link to a 'fret calculator' which you put in the scale of your neck and it gives you the exact measurements for fret placement...

now that I think of it I think there was a 3 part lesson about building a guitar on the main page about 6 months ago, maybe check that.
where to have the bridge determines intonation. about 25", bridge to nut, is normal

i like the body shape tho, RLY original. i'd maybe bring the lower cutaway in towards the neck, it sticks out a tad but other than that its awesome!

can you get a pre done neck?
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
where to have the bridge determines intonation. about 25", bridge to nut, is normal

i like the body shape tho, RLY original. i'd maybe bring the lower cutaway in towards the neck, it sticks out a tad but other than that its awesome!

can you get a pre done neck?

Yeah, I'll be ordering a neck then. I just didn't know how challenging it would be to build one.

Thanks VERY much for the help though. Now that I know where to put the bridge, I should be all set.

Also, thanks for the comment about the shape stevo.

This thread will probably get pushed down but i'll bump it when i start building it.

EDIT: oh yeah, the line on the very far left is the bevel, btw. Just thought I'd let you know, I didn't really make that clear.
necks are the easiest part for me. I'm betting most of the people that say they are the hardest part have never built a guitar.
Quote by carousel182
necks are the easiest part for me. I'm betting most of the people that say they are the hardest part have never built a guitar.

Haha, you're probably right, and it would probably cost me less money to build the neck by myself and order parts, but I really would rather not screw it up, lol. I'd like to have a glued neck instead of a bolt on, and I can't find any dealers that sell set-necks.

Either way, bolt on is easier.

EDIT: Alright, measuring distance from the bridge to the 12th fret, should i measure from the center/middle of the bridge? or the part that'll be going closest to the fretboard.
Last edited by Guerrilla Radio at Jan 26, 2008,