Ok, so I have my guitar and my practice amp. But now Im wanting to put together a rig that I can gig with. I know that 50 watts of tube amp is more then enough for a gig, so what I am thinking about doing is getting a VK112. Swapping the tubes. And I found a guy who has a set of 4 Eminence Patriots that he said he would sell me for $100 for all of them. So doing a speaker swap on the amp cab, and then picking up a 212 extension cab and putting in 2 of the other Patriots.

Then Im thinking about pedals. Im gonna get either an Ibanez TS808 or an EHX Metal Muff. An EHX Holy Grail reverb. A Line 6 DL-4 delay. And a Morley Bad Horsie wah. I think that should be more then enough to get me some of the sounds that Im wanting.

Then Im gonna swap out my pickups from the stock Dean ones to something like a DiMarzio X2N in the bridge and a PAFJoe in the neck or something.

Does that sound like a decent set-up for some heavier metal stuff? What do yall think about it?
how much money are you planning to spend? That's a ton of stuff.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by LuthierofTexas

Then Im gonna swap out my pickups from the stock Dean ones to something like a DiMarzio X2N in the bridge and a PAFJoe in the neck or something.

Does that sound like a decent set-up for some heavier metal stuff? What do yall think about it?

I haven't heard good things about the X2N....

Apparently it's cleans are absolutely terrible, but if you only play with distortion it should be okay, it's a sacrifice though.

I'd get an evolution in th bridge - it can to do clean & filthy dirty .
a 5150 and put your nice speakers in the cab maybe?

i doubt you'll need an OD for that.
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Well the thing is, I dont want a 5150. I dont want to buy a used amp. Im sure you can find good deals on good gear that way, but I just dont want to worry about buying something thats gonna suck balls a few weeks after I buy it. I know the VK can get really good metal tones stock, but for other stuff it does need to be re-tubed.

As for the X2N, I know Josh Rand from Stone Sour uses them in his signature models, and they actually sound pretty good. But Im getting the PAFJoe for the neck for its cleans. I'll sacrifice the lack of cleans on the X2N for the cleans of the PAFJoe. Apparently y'all didnt read my first post too well.

As for the pedals, the only ones that are over $150 are the TS808 and the DL-4. The rest of them arent really that expensive.

My guitar is a Dean V, thats in my sig if you would look. And dont recommend a different guitar cause Im happy with mine.

Basically, I can get that whole rig for a round $1500. And thats a helluva lot better then buying a 5150, imo. I really dont want to sound like EVH anyway.