I've been playing for about 3 years and I've just started learning music theory and I haven't been getting anywhere music wise. I can play some Megadeth, Metallica, Carcass and other bands; I was wondering if anyone knew of any songs that could help improve my playing ability or know anything that could help or have helped you. Maybe this will help other people too.
Dave Mustaine for president.
DECAPITATED

R.I.P Vitek
apply everything you learn theory wise to guitar... start playing with a click or a metronome... start writing your own music (it doesn't have to be good just practise).

Practise like 3 hours a day.
High Templar of the UG Secret Society
PM SickMetal or Sanitarium24 to join.
aNOMaly
actually it will... Theory is a huge shortcut.... the only way theory wont help your guitar playing is if you don't play guitar lol
aNOMaly
Quote by `NeXxuS`
apply everything you learn theory wise to guitar... start playing with a click or a metronome... start writing your own music (it doesn't have to be good just practise).

that's good advice but still...three hours a day, I wish I could be like that - I'd rock.

As for songs to learn - it's always helped me to learn songs from as many different genres and contrasting music styles - even if I don't like them - you don't even need to learn the entire song. The point being it will introduce new positions and new strains on your fingers which will help you get better in general. Hope it helps.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
In Daniel Levitin's book "Your Brain on Music, The Science of a Human Obsession" he says that to master anything (this includes everything) to practise it for 3 hours a day for 10 years (or its equivalent) and your brain will be neurologically wired for that activity. hence you will have mastered the guitar.
aNOMaly
Three hours a day isnt that much of a stretch.

I'd say find some other people to play with and start writing your own stuff. It keeps you motivated and really drives you if you find someone who is talented to play with.
Quote by `NeXxuS`

Good advice, but you don't really need to get 3 hours a day to get results(IMO).
Also look into some books, a few good ones are; Speed Mechanics, Peter Fischer- Rock Guitar Secrets, and Creative Guitar by Guthrie Govan.
Practice until your fingers bleed. I second the metronome idea. I need to purchase one as well.
Quote by `NeXxuS`
actually it will... Theory is a huge shortcut.... the only way theory wont help your guitar playing is if you don't play guitar lol

theory in no way helps dexterity,endurance or precision