I am brand new to pedals, I have never used one before. I've heard some things about the digitech whammy, and i just wanted to know what UG thinks about it.
Good? Bad? Worth it? Useful?
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
It depends if that's the effect you're looking for, haven't seen any pedals similar to it
well here's the thing, i really have only heard about it, I don't really know what it does...
so what effect does it have?
AROUND THE WORLD

The Digitech Whammy is basically a foot-controlled pitch shifter. That basically means, when you move your foot on the pedal, the pitch goes up and down.
It's not the best effect to start off with, but it's fun to use and good if you want that particular effect.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
ok for a first pedal what would you guys suggest? a wah pedal maybe?
AROUND THE WORLD

The whammy is an amazing pedal I own one and use it alot(octave shifting). However there is another pedal very simular... the boss super shifter, its just a regular stompbox. however you can add an expression pedal.

The other guitarist in my band uses the super shifter, both are very nice pedals, and someday i will own both.
Ibanez JetKing II
Dean Caddy
line 6 spider III 15
Ibanez PM7
boss dd20
EH metal muff
crate gx-15
crate gx-120
yamaha rbx-170
oscar schmidt ob100b
dean markley k-20bx
carvin pb100-10
Sorry for the double post, but for a first pedal I would buy a nice overdrive pedal. Like the english mufin'. Or maybe a metal muff, depending on what you play.
Ibanez JetKing II
Dean Caddy
line 6 spider III 15
Ibanez PM7
boss dd20
EH metal muff
crate gx-15
crate gx-120
yamaha rbx-170
oscar schmidt ob100b
dean markley k-20bx
carvin pb100-10
you want a decent amp first

other than that an OD/distortion probably

wah is a good choice though
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
jeez i just realized a lot of these pedals we're talkin about here are really expensive. Do you guys know any cheap(er) pedals that are still good.
I kinda want some wah or something that'll diversify my sound.
AROUND THE WORLD

one other thing, is overdrive really that important?

I mean does it sound much different than distortion?
AROUND THE WORLD

its not as heavy and sound much more smoother, it depends on if you play really heavy stuff. Even metallica uses a Ibanez tubescreamer.

You can crank them to get pretty heavy though.
Personally i wouldnt by a wah. Youll get bored with it after a day probably. i did.
Ibanez JetKing II
Dean Caddy
line 6 spider III 15
Ibanez PM7
boss dd20
EH metal muff
crate gx-15
crate gx-120
yamaha rbx-170
oscar schmidt ob100b
dean markley k-20bx
carvin pb100-10
I just found a VOX 847 wah pedal on e-bay in "perfect condition new in box" for 75 dollars, 80 buyout price and shipping 9.50. Is that a good deal, is VOX 847 any good?
btw that guys feedback is 97.3 %
AROUND THE WORLD

Quote by Yeti60
I just found a VOX 847 wah pedal on e-bay in "perfect condition new in box" for 75 dollars, 80 buyout price and shipping 9.50. Is that a good deal, is VOX 847 any good?
btw that guys feedback is 97.3 %

No that's not a good deal.
That's roughly the same as you pay in a store.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Ok im gonna consider the VOX 847 then. I'll go to my guitar shop and see if they have one i can try out
AROUND THE WORLD