gibsons are better coz of the pick ups i recon
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
You get much better value for money on that particular gibby. First off you get a case about $60-80 value, the Burstbuckers are over $220 for the set (and you would most likely have to replace the epi's pickups anyway) and the hardware is slightly better on the gibson. The trade off is the maple cap and finished look of the epi.

Having said that I own a Epi standard, in which i've replaced the pickups to the BB Pros. One thing i can't comment on is the playability and Quality Control of that particular Gibson as i've not seen it in person.

So my opinion, if you don't mind the "faded" look, i'd def go with the Gibson.
Quote by SenorSmiley
GIBSON is the real deal Bro.

idiocy, gibson is the overpriced deal bro, defining a guitars quality merely on its brand name is retarded
and predjudiced lol, my bruny lp outplays my teachers gibby custom to the point even he admits it
Quote by stephen_rettie
idiocy, gibson is the overpriced deal bro, defining a guitars quality merely on its brand name is retarded
and predjudiced lol, my bruny lp outplays my teachers gibby custom to the point even he admits it

I hate to break it to you but the Gibsons are better then the Epiphones. I owned a real Tokai Strat back in the day and it was nice. I played a new one and it wasnt even close to the 1 I had.

Epiphones are nice guitars for the money but if u think the wood, electronics, workmanship, materials are the same as a USA Gibson I feel sorry for you.
That gibson is probably better than the epiphone.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by SenorSmiley
I hate to break it to you but the Gibsons are better then the Epiphones. I owned a real Tokai Strat back in the day and it was nice. I played a new one and it wasnt even close to the 1 I had.

Epiphones are nice guitars for the money but if u think the wood, electronics, workmanship, materials are the same as a USA Gibson I feel sorry for you.

I've seen you post before, you're not very smart at all.

Low end Gibsons are terrible, and the quality control is nil.
Dickless.
well if u dont like gibson its ur deal bro and im not going to hand out a personal insult based on guitar taste but a gibson les paul is not a low end one and they are sweet.
Quote by MetalMilitia212

You talk out of your ass. I doubt you've ever played enough low end Gibsons to develop a proper opinion of them. (if at all ) They are decent for what they are, there of course may be the odd lemon, but in general, they are 'get what you pay for guitars' and then some. I've only heard good things about the Les Paul the TS linked to. Several people on these forums own one and have only had good things to say. As for the quality control, that again, is talking out of your behind. It may not be what it used to be, but don't make it seem like the QC has fallen to completely nothing. Gibson still makes quality guitars.
Be cool.
I will quite confidently say the guitar linked to is worse than an Epi Standard, assuming we're talking new copies of each (i.e. not an old Epi Standard, made before the Epi production switch over, which would then be inferior).

The Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany uses the same **** body that the Studios and Faded series, all of which are awful. The wood used is a lower grade than other Gibsons; in fact, it's roughly the same as an Epi Custom. Not only that though, but it's not even solid construction; it's off-cuts hacked together.
Like the Studio and Faded series, these guitars also use much cheaper cast hardware (tuners, bridge, etc), cheaper pots, and the fretboards and frets themselves are also made of softer, cheaper, poorer materials (cheaper metal for the frets, crapper rosewood for the board).
You get the idea. Those guitars are cheap for a reason. You really believe they're only cheaper than Standards because of how they're finished or their lack of binding? No. They're cheaper, because they're only as good as (if not worse than) an Epi, but hey, you get 'Gibson' on the headstock, and a different neck profile. Big thrills.

The pickups (BurstBucker Pros) aren't anything to write home about either. Again, it's a case of them having a famous name, but not actually being as good as the products that made the name famous in the first place. BurstBucker Pros are, in a word, crap. Now BurstBucker 1/2/3 series, are very, very ****ing good. The Pros though? Hideously vapid, below average at everything, great at nothing. Again, you're mostly just paying for the name. They're really no better than the pickups found in Epi Standards and higher, and they're very inferior to the BurstBucker 1/2/3 series and the pickups found in Epiphone Elitist models.

On the other hand, Epiphone Standard and higher models are now made with solid mahogany in slab construction (already an improvement over the Gibson), and the hardware is no cheaper either. The downsides to the Epiphone are:

- slightly worse pickups. It's really hardly noticeable though, and you'll end up wanting to change the pickups right away in either guitar anyway.

- Different method of finishing means the Epiphone has a naturally thicker tone, with slightly more bass and more mid-range. For ultra-smooth blues and the darkest of metal, this is actually better, though for everything else this is normally viewed as a bad thing. Depends on your taste of course.

- That finish also means the Epis don't fade quite like a Gibson will either. You probably wouldn't be looking to hang onto an Epi for long enough for it to fade anyway though.

- Epiphone only make guitars with their one neck profile, which some people find gets too chunky near the upper frets. So, many people would rather go with a cheaper Gibson, to get a 60's profile (slimmer) neck, even though the actual build quality is no better (and often, worse). That said, this particular Gibson model has a '59 neck, which if anything is slightly thicker throughout than the Epiphone neck is. So take your pick, whether you want a thick or a slimmer neck.

- The Epiphone has less resale value. If you decide you don't like the guitar, or just get bored of it or whatever, you'll get more of your money back when you sell the Gibson, than you would selling the Epi.

- You can never take the risk of buying an Epiphone online, thanks to their random quality control. You have to check out several Epis in person before settling on one to buy. With Gibson, there are still a few problematic guitars that slip through, but generally you can trust buying a Gibson online, without playing it first.

Now, for my money, I'd say, don't touch that Gibson. Instead, I'd suggest either:

- Save up more money, and get either a Gibson Standard or Classic (same quality, and they're lowest quality you should touch for any Gibson Les Paul).

- Save up more money, and get an Epiphone Elitist (my personal preference, though I am biased to the Epiphone neck profile).

- Buy an Epiphone Custom, and use the money you save on upgrading the pickups, pots, and nut. The tuners and bridge on the Customs is no worse than the tuners and bridge on the Gibson VM/Studio/Faded guitars, and an Epi Custom with a pickup/pot/nut change will probably total the same as the stock Gibson would, and will be of the same build quality, but then with better electronics too. This is probably the most sensible option.

- Buy a second hand, mid-90's Gibson Studio. The Studios made back then were much better than the ones made in the last few years (they had proper solid mahogany bodies rather than the 'chipboard' off-cut ones the new Studios use; they also had better hardware). If you can find one in good condition, it'll be far better than the VM Gibson, and won't cost you any more. This is the option if you're desperate for 'Gibson' on the headstock but can't wait around to save up for a Standard/Classic. Personally I'd rather save up, but whatever floats your boat.
Quote by MetalMilitia212

+1
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by thedude051
You talk out of your ass. I doubt you've ever played enough low end Gibsons to develop a proper opinion of them. (if at all ) They are decent for what they are, there of course may be the odd lemon, but in general, they are 'get what you pay for guitars' and then some. I've only heard good things about the Les Paul the TS linked to. Several people on these forums own one and have only had good things to say. As for the quality control, that again, is talking out of your behind. It may not be what it used to be, but don't make it seem like the QC has fallen to completely nothing. Gibson still makes quality guitars.

Actually, I have. I debated buying a $600 LP special, basically TS's guitar without the inlays or pickguard, and it was falling apart after two years. I've also tried Studios, with pickups falling into the guitar itself. Even the higher end models aren't reliable, my friend had to send his $1500 standard back because of faulty machine heads.

I've noticed you too, you're the type who thinks using the emoticon wins an argument.

Gibsons aren't COMPLETE trash, but it's unsafe buying one, especially online. Epiphone has surprisingly good QC, at least in the models I've seen.
Dickless.
how do u debate buying it then it falls apart after 2 years?

plus u would never send a gibson back for bad tuners cuz they're not covered under the warrenty. only a manufacturing defect would be covered.

if it was a warranty issue mostly gibson has a service center do it i know this cuz i worked at GC in LA for a stint in the 80s bro. if the fretboard fell off u would send it back otherwise they did it on site.

u think gibson would ship a guitar back to the factory to replace the tuners?

http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/Support/WarrantyServiceInformation/

thats where u find out where to get service. the tuners are not covered though.

pickups would not fall into the guitar they would fall out usually. there are 4 screws per mounting ring to hold them in so someone messed with it and the cavity is not deep enough to fall into.

dude, real truths about something or opinions are cool but i dont think ur being a complete truth teller.
Last edited by SenorSmiley at Jan 26, 2008,
I personally think its probably better

A few hours later...

My Gear:

AMP: Line 6 Spider III 30 Watt
Guitars: Gibson SG Classic (with P-90 Pickups), Martin DCX1E Acoustic-Electric, and Rouge Viola Bass
Any gibson blows away ALMOST any Epiphone. I think anything after a Standard Beats Epi, go with the Gibson for quality wise, but if you dont have the money get the epi
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American 52 Telecaster RI
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange Cabinets
Quote by SenorSmiley
how do u debate buying it then it falls apart after 2 years?

plus u would never send a gibson back for bad tuners cuz they're not covered under the warrenty. only a manufacturing defect would be covered.

if it was a warranty issue mostly gibson has a service center do it i know this cuz i worked at GC in LA for a stint in the 80s bro. if the fretboard fell off u would send it back otherwise they did it on site.

u think gibson would ship a guitar back to the factory to replace the tuners?

http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/Support/WarrantyServiceInformation/

thats where u find out where to get service. the tuners are not covered though.

pickups would not fall into the guitar they would fall out usually. there are 4 screws per mounting ring to hold them in so someone messed with it and the cavity is not deep enough to fall into.

dude, real truths about something or opinions are cool but i dont think ur being a complete truth teller.

QFT.

The guitar was two years old, and falling apart.

The guitar was unstable in itself, the tuners were just the first signs of faulty workmanship.

Pickups DO fall into the guitar, it was half a centimeter below the pickup ring, and wobbled.
Dickless.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
Actually, I have. I debated buying a $600 LP special, basically TS's guitar without the inlays or pickguard, and it was falling apart after two years. I've also tried Studios, with pickups falling into the guitar itself. Even the higher end models aren't reliable, my friend had to send his $1500 standard back because of faulty machine heads.

I've noticed you too, you're the type who thinks using the emoticon wins an argument.

Gibsons aren't COMPLETE trash, but it's unsafe buying one, especially online. Epiphone has surprisingly good QC, at least in the models I've seen.

Standards arent 1500, Gibson standards are 2400. And shut up you dont own a gibson. I have one and it blows away anyyy Epiphone, quality and tone. Do you see Jimmy Page playing an Epi??
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American 52 Telecaster RI
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange Cabinets
YA RIGHT. only thing unstable is ur story bro,

send i back to the factory cuz of the tuners. i worked at GC HOLLYWOOD for years and the other stores as well. and gibson never returned a guitar cuz of tuners.

make up the story as to how it was unstable now. prey tell????????????

was it made out of plutonia 235?

was a load of BS.

thats why internet reviews should be taken with a grain of salt.

ooooooo the tuners were bad so we sent it back goes to, well it was unstable.

LOL
Quote by lostboyjp
I personally think its probably better

+1
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson DC Pro Custom shop
Fender American Stratocaster - Vintage custom
Fender Squier Strat
Fender Standard Telecaster
Quote by jordy-77
Standards arent 1500, Gibson standards are 2400. And shut up you dont own a gibson. I have one and it blows away anyyy Epiphone, quality and tone. Do you see Jimmy Page playing an Epi??

Dude you don't have to tell anyone to shut up. I would be careful what you say.
ಥ_ಥ
Quote by MetalMilitia212

Pretty sure my Les Paul studio is much better than most Epi LP Standards.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White w/Gold Hardware
Schecter Gryphon Limited Edition Flame top in Charcoal Burst
Line 6 Spider III 15
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
my opinion is that if ur gonna get a gibson lp, save up enough for a standard, the studio looks like a piece of wood to me honestly. its only expensive because a white guy made in america.
get a gibson enless you dont have money to then get the epi i have a 78 studio witch plays amazing and has no problems
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode