Does anone know how to make those big, heavy riffs made by Hetfield and Hammett? All I'm looking for is the keys and scales and all that theory stuff.
just use natural minor, phrygian or locrian modes, on mostly the E and A strings, with lots of distortion
Learn some theory and experiment. Oh and learn how to alternate pick if you cant.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
natural minor, and i giant forearm that can chug away at that palm muted E string haha :P... down picked of course

dude ?? have you ever had a casual coversation while having sex??

male:
" so erm .. wot do you think of bbc1 ?"
female:
" AAHHHH SH*T !!!! SH*T !!!!! "

Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Sex is over-rated. I prefer Pokemon Diamond.

HAHAHA ^^^ :P

I think it's just minor scales with minor pentatonic leads for the most part, at least on their older stuff (i try to avoid their new music )
Do this:

|----------------------------------------|
|-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-----------|
pm.............................................
Quote by Rory's_strat
Do this:

This.
for the single note riffs(no chords) :palm mute the e string and play in harmonic minor scale

for chords: palm mute fast chords and play open e in between, leave the chords that ring on non-palm muted

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by Rory's_strat
Do this:

rofl.. yeah
yeah...not trying to be mean...and someone already hit perfectly...just chug the e string if you want to sound like metallica...for a fast song, do it fast, for a slow song, chug slow...thats about it...
btw the scale and key stuff...all kirk ever did, that im aware of, is e minor...for like every single solo ever...maybe d...but d is the same thing as e just two frets down so...ez enough
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by bi-ah!
yeah...not trying to be mean...and someone already hit perfectly...just chug the e string if you want to sound like metallica...for a fast song, do it fast, for a slow song, chug slow...thats about it...
btw the scale and key stuff...all kirk ever did, that im aware of, is e minor...for like every single solo ever...maybe d...but d is the same thing as e just two frets down so...ez enough

Also for the solo, use way too much wah so it sounds really ****ty.
Also, try playing 2 sixteenth notes and 1 eigth note again and again. This "gallop" is used in songs like Battery and Damage Inc. Which are ****ing awesome songs.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Chug the E string with some Minor scale stuff on the A and D string......Throw in some power chords with the root on the A string (using the minor scales)...Scoop your mids of course....Throw in some tritones...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Actually most of Kirk Hammett's solos were in B minor. His fast solo runs did tend to be in the Blues Minor scale of E.

The more metallica moved away from their stereotypical, Metallicafan and Bi-Ah's responses, the more people bitch about it not being like their old stuff.

Just goes to show you you can't play something new for once without a bunch of people getting all bent out of shape for nothing. Load and Reload were the best. Suck it.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Learn the entire Kill Em all Album

Then u will play like a guitar god
SHE walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellow'd to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.
Just palm mutes on low e with some power chord riffs thrown in. Now the low e palm mute rythym can get pretty hard on some songs, but on a lot of songs its just straight 8th or 16th note chugs.

Edit: Also down pick all of it.
Last edited by rockr09 at Jan 27, 2008,