Hey all,
I've made a few threads in the past about building a PC and the specs I have so far are as follows:

Case: ThermalTake Suprano (Black)
PSU: Arctic Power 600watt
MoBo: Asustech M2N Sli Deluxe
Cooler: Zalman CNPS7500
RAM: 4GB DDR2 677Mhz
Drive: LG 20x Dual layer DVD RW
HD: 320GB 7200rpm

But I have no idea what graphics card to get, I know the 8800 series are pretty swish but I don't know if it'd be what I really need. I'm going to be using it for general multitasking, audio recording (including MIDI n mixing and all that), A-Level/Uni work and a bit of gaming.

So what I'm after really is a card that will let me play the newest games on reasonable settings.

I'm using a Dell atm, which is running XP Media Center, 2GBDDR2 533Mhz RAM, 140GB HD, ****E Dell MoBo, Audigy ZS Platinum Pro and an FX5500. It's not great.

My brother has a ATI X1950 Pro 256MB that I could probably get off him for less than £40. Would that do? I hear they aren't great.

Any suggestions would be cool.

Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
^ Do I really need a GPU that good? How are the 8500 and the 8600 in comparison? What about the ATI HD3570?

The cheapest I can find the 8800GTS for is £185 (about $350US I think).
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
^....

Anyone?
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
Quote by guitaristclass
^....

Anyone?

The 8600GT isn't bad, but it's not great, it should however run any recent game with out trouble, though maybe not as well on the highest settings. Unless there's a large price difference between that and the 8800GTS, I'd stick with the 8800GTS.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
There is an £83 ($195US) difference between the 8600GT and the 8800GTS.
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
Quote by guitaristclass
There is an £83 ($195US) difference between the 8600GT and the 8800GTS.

If you're going for a mid-range card then definitely get a 3850 - it craps all over the 8600.
Quote by guitaristclass
Hey all,
I've made a few threads in the past about building a PC and the specs I have so far are as follows:

Case: ThermalTake Suprano (Black)
PSU: Arctic Power 600watt
MoBo: Asustech M2N Sli Deluxe
Cooler: Zalman CNPS7500
RAM: 4GB DDR2 677Mhz
Drive: LG 20x Dual layer DVD RW
HD: 320GB 7200rpm

But I have no idea what graphics card to get, I know the 8800 series are pretty swish but I don't know if it'd be what I really need. I'm going to be using it for general multitasking, audio recording (including MIDI n mixing and all that), A-Level/Uni work and a bit of gaming.

So what I'm after really is a card that will let me play the newest games on reasonable settings.

I'm using a Dell atm, which is running XP Media Center, 2GBDDR2 533Mhz RAM, 140GB HD, ****E Dell MoBo, Audigy ZS Platinum Pro and an FX5500. It's not great.

My brother has a ATI X1950 Pro 256MB that I could probably get off him for less than £40. Would that do? I hear they aren't great.

Any suggestions would be cool.

The X1950 pro is atcually very good.
Quote by Bubban
The 8600GT isn't bad, but it's not great, it should however run any recent game with out trouble, though maybe not as well on the highest settings. Unless there's a large price difference between that and the 8800GTS, I'd stick with the 8800GTS.

Why are you suggesting the 8800GTS? The 8800GT is quicker, cheaper and less power hungry! TS if you 300 dollars get that. Or get the X1950 pro for that good price.
I think I could get the X1950 for about £35 ($70US). Which is a good £120 less than the 8800GT I'm looking at.

What about the HD 3850 and the 3870? They seem to have faster clock speeds for less than the 8600 and the 8800 respectivly.
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
What CPU are you putting in this new PC?

At the moment I'd suggest avoiding AMD/ATI. Intels processors are superior and ATI have crap OpenGL support, crap linux support and my card is fairly new and won't work with the latest 2 drivers.

Edit: Looking at the rest of the components you're using I'd be looking for a £100 - £125 graphics card, preferably with DirectX 10 support.

Also ditch XP64 since its more hassle than its worth (no support either). Stick with 32bit XP or make the jump to Vista.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by Axeman99 at Jan 27, 2008,
^ Can you backup anything you've just said with some evidence?

This is also a bit of a bump, so any more input from the rest of UG?
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
I heard that Nvidea where going to release an 8900 of some sort soon.
When are they going to appear?
I might get my Bro's X1950, and then get and 8800GT when the 9 series come out.

And the only things that seem to compare with the 6400+ are the intel E6850 (2 x 3.0Ghz) or the Q6600. I was concidering the AMD Phenom, but it's not actually much more powerfull for the extra money it'd cost. The Intel quads are alright but they are only 2 dual cores taped together really and even though they are more powerfull than the AMD they are quite a bit more expensive.
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
Generally, I would go with Nvidia instead of ATI. Just from my experience less headaches/compatibility problems with certain games.

But more importantly...if you're going to be doing audio work on your PC be very careful with the GPU. Because of the power and cooling needs, you're looking at a substantial amount of noise.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
^ Yeah I have thought about that, the base unit will be in a different place from the equipment when I'm recording.
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH