Um im getting an acoustic, and dont have and strings for it. Can i use earnie ball slinkys on my acoustic, or not?
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
It will most likely come with strings lol. And i dont see why you couldnt put themon there but the sound will be very week i would think.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
No you cannot put them on there. Its too much tension. Im not sure but i dont think acoustics have truss rods, so if you put them on there your neck will warp. Thats what i was told
Gear List is too long to sig.

JOIN THE TRUMPET PLAYERS ALLIANCE!
Quote by Supertait
^yeah that would be the problem here, they're a few tiles short of a roof and wouldnt undertand.

Lol^^
Quote by littel
No you cannot put them on there. Its too much tension. Im not sure but i dont think acoustics have truss rods, so if you put them on there your neck will warp. Thats what i was told

How would lighter gauge strings cause too much tension?? That just seems backwards to me.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Daddario makes .010 guage acoustic exps just use them.
Last edited by anita prs bad at Jan 27, 2008,
I thought the OP meant he was going to unravel a slinky and restring his guitar with it for a second.
Quote by littel

They do have Truss Rods.
Quote by metalgirl0
Usually, strings come on guitars

obviously, but i will have to change them, and i dont know what to use
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by littel

Youre answering as if he asked "Can I put steel strings on a classical guitar?"
He actually wants to know if you can put electric guitar strings on an acoustic guitar.
The answer is yes, but dont expect it to sound nearly as good and id only recommend doing it as a last resort.
No you really shouldn't put electric strings on an acoustic. The tensions are not the same and you could end up breaking the neck on your acoustic guitar (a bad thing).
Quote by Guitar Hack
No you really shouldn't put electric strings on an acoustic. The tensions are not the same and you could end up breaking the neck on your acoustic guitar (a bad thing).

Actually, an acoustic steel stringed guitar is designed to hold more tension than the heaviest gauge of electric guitar's strings. That's why acoustic is harder to fret than electric and classical.

Anyway, putting electric guitar strings on the acoustic won't do any harm, but it will sound very thin in comparison with acoustic steel strings.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by sacamano79
obviously, but i will have to change them, and i dont know what to use

I have an idea and not to sound like an ass, but why don't you use acoustic strings when you do have them?
Nope they're the same as regular acoustic steel strings. I'd say go for some 11s when you next come to re-string. They're what i've always used.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
No, you won't break the neck, acoustic guitars normally take MORE string tension because acoustic strings are usually much heavier gauges.

so theres no special strings you have to buy for an acoustic electric guitar??

No special strings needed for acoustic or electric/acoustic. Both use the same strings. Classical [acoustic] guitars use nylon strings, standard acoustics use regular strings. see below.

Electric guitars use strings wound with nickel or steel because they produce vibrations the pickups handle better. Acoustics use strings wound usually with bronze, for the fuller sound it produces. Bronze would work on an electric guitar actually, but the pickups wouldn't handle it as well.

Electric strings can be used on acoustics, no problem and it really won't sound bad at all, I used them [Dean Markley .010-.052 light top heavy bottom] on my Epiphone acoustic for years because I was learning lead and the plain 3rd string along with the lighter gauge made leads much more doable on an acoustic. I kept it set for a pretty low action but high enough for slide, tuned usually to standard tuning. It didn't sound bad at all, just not quite as loud as it was with acoustic strings. It would still hold its own with other acoustic guitars though, I played it many times with 1-3 other players.

Playing electric strings on an acoustic won't cause any damage at all, it will actually be less tension than the neck is usually under with acoustic strings, it might drop your volume level a little but not much, and if you get the light top heavy bottom strings it should have plenty bottom end so it won't sound too thin.

Use electric strings if you want to, but I would stick with bronze wound acoustic strings. I'm using the GHS Curt Mangan Phosphor Bronze strings now, .011 gauge, and have been pleased with them. Good sound, stay bright pretty well, I don't have to change dead strings out every week, and they play good.

Check around at your local music store, they should have loads of both electric and acoustic strings, usually marked on the package ACOUSTIC in big letters...Go for .012 gauge, that's a hefty string, but most people without my wrist/tendon injuries should be able to play them with no problems. I played Dean Markley strings for 30 years, or more, now they're hard to find around here because the biggest music store in town got a half dozen sets of Blue Steel (my very favorite electric strings) rusted in the packages and stopped selling all Dean Markleys. So I'm trying out other strings, a good friend (also a very good guitar tech) recommended the ones I'm playing now, I've been happy with them.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Jan 28, 2008,
Have no fear, it works just fine. You wont break a neck or anything like that. If anything, they will be too light and not sound great, but it wont cause any damage. Almost all modern acoustics have truss rods too.
BoredGuitarist7BoredGuitarist7
Are you sure your giving this man 100% accurate advice? 99.9 % of acoustics have trust rods.
Electric strings on an acoustic will work but might not sound as good. It won't damage your guitar to use them.
Not taking any online orders.
I use gut strings on my electric.

Human gut. From people who resurrected zombie threads.
TobusRex You know, when you see more than 2700 looks at a thread, it's almost certainly a necro-bump. Um, jus' sayin'.