Ok, so while many here hate Fall Out Boy I happen to like them. One thing that stands out to me that I don't get from other bands is the sound for their lead guitarist. It has a very warm tone with thick, chuncky and fuzzy distortion.
What is a good pedal to get that sound with?

I've been looking at a few already: Digitech's The Weapon, Boss DS-1 or Boss DS-2 but I'm honestly not sure of what all is out there.

I currently have a 40 watt Marshall amp and an ESP LTD EC-400VF (newer Seymour Duncan 59 (N)/ JB (B)).

If your not sure what the Fall Out boy sound I'm looking for is, listen to the intro on Carpal Tunnel of Love on Infinity on High (their newest CD).
Ive got the Boss MD-2 and can get pretty damn close...awesome pedal for the newer heavier stuff
Gibson Les Paul Studio // BKP Nailbombs
Dean Performer Key Largo

Marshall JVM215C
Fulltone Octafuzz
Dunlop ZW-Wah
Quote by s.r.v.
i'd get a latching killswitch

yeah, that'll get the tone
Gibson Les Paul Studio // BKP Nailbombs
Dean Performer Key Largo

Marshall JVM215C
Fulltone Octafuzz
Dunlop ZW-Wah
You won't get that sound on the weapon, it is more of a pedal used for metal, and is a bit too heavy for fall out boy.
What marshall amp do you have?
My Stuff!

Yamaha Pacifica 112
Vintage V400-12 Solid Top 12 STRING!!!!!
Yamaha F-310
Yamaha FD02 Solid Top
Orange crush 10
Watson XL15
Zoom G2
Encore PK40

Saxophone: Jupiter somethin or other
I actually have no idea what type of marshall. My dad go it for me of ebay. It says "avt 20" on it and it also says "Valvestate 2000" on it. It says 40 watts on the back.

I'm gonna look into the MD-2 and the Ibanez. I was wondering if The Weapon was too heavy so thanks for letting me know but I may end up getting the Wepaon at some other time b/c I really like it's effcts and I do play some metal.

I've no idea what a killswitch is.

Any more suggestions out there?
Yeah, I'll get on that.
No, really, great amps are very expensive. Sometime I'll get a better amp but no time too soon. I'm in high school, don't have a job currently (not sure if I have the time w/ all my AP classes!) and next year is college so it's not like I'm going to have tons of money to blow on an expensive amp. Which leads me to a pedal; a relatively inexpensive way to get a great sound.
Fall Out Boy actually has leads?!? Holy ****...is this right?!?!

Anyhoos, i know they use Krank Krankensteins, Mesa Dual and Triple Rectos, and some AC30s. Try those?
Hay! FOB has their own way of doing leads...even if it is chord based...
Anywho, thanks for the info about their equipment, however I don't think I'll be getting those anytime soon.
Try a line 6, they nail the "appropriate" tone.

Just kidding, I'll stop bashing FOB.

Only because their names comes from the simpsons.
Quote by dudetheman
That's....

an abomination. It's like a BC Rich had sex with an Ibanez, had an abortion, and it survived on the side of the road eating roadkill and drinking it's own urine.

Most metal guitar ever. Period.
Unfortunately, you'll never be able to replicate their tone because they don't make a "suck" pedal.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
There's no need to be a sack of **** edge11.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Quote by Miggy01
There's no need to be a sack of **** edge11.

so telling the truth makes me a that?
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by JEEtoP
yeah, that'll get the tone

I don't think you got the joke.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Quote by edge11

Just because they make simple music doesn't make them poor musicians, or even have bad tone (their guitars don't sound bad at all).
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Fall Out Boy use AC-30s to record with. Therefore, if you invest in an AC-30 simulator pedal, or buy yourself an AC-30, you can't go wrong.
Quote by foob85
Wearable capo? Maybe he means like clamping the capo to his penis and walking around?

Because that's not what I do with my capo.

OVER MY OBJECTIONS!

seriously though...

ok enough of that... i would think that you could get their tone without a pedal but if thats what you want i dont think you NEED to look at anything more than something basic. i think a ds1 should do fine. simple cheap and effective.
Quote by edge11

Sir, that was an opinion. Not a truth. And band bashing can get you warned/banned.

They've got millions of sales, tons of radio play, and cults of horny teenage girls. That's a whole load of people that will disagree. I'm not saying you aren't entitled to your opinion, but there's no use in offending others like that. Just state that it's not your type of music and so on...

Hell, I've heard they used Oranges at some point.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
i find it quite strange how i really cant stand music that is repeditive like theirs (and a LOT of other rock) but the majority of people like it that way.

anyone else here feel that most music is too repeditive?
Quote by Fambi
Fall Out Boy use AC-30s to record with. Therefore, if you invest in an AC-30 simulator pedal, or buy yourself an AC-30, you can't go wrong.

I could have swore they used recs
Quote by no_thing101
i find it quite strange how i really cant stand music that is repeditive like theirs (and a LOT of other rock) but the majority of people like it that way.

anyone else here feel that most music is too repeditive?

There's no real room for originality anymore. Pretty much every Metallica song revolves around the E minor pentatonic. And if not, some minor pentatonic. "cliffs of dover" is repetitive, but no one complains about eric johnson when he plays the song. Pretty much every van halen song is repetitive, but he's considered one of the greats. AC/DC is extremely repetitive, but i can't stop tapping my feet when "Big Guns" plays on the radio.

Quote by Horlicks
I could have swore they used recs

They use tons of different amps.

AC30's:

Rectos
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OqXEBXMBciA&feature=related

I've heard reports of oranges too.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Last edited by Reincaster at Jan 27, 2008,
i like stuff like cliffs of dover but i think stuff like fallout boy or scissors sisters ect is just so repeditive i find it boring.

in the music i write i change the chord progressions a lot cause i find it gets boring. people have criticised it for not flowing well and i would also do so. but i do think its better than just having one chord progression over and over. i do think the problem honestly is lack of experience though. i am only up to my 5th song.

btw its not all about the chord progression too. that can be repeditive but that doesnt mean the rest of it is.
Quote by no_thing101
i like stuff like cliffs of dover but i think stuff like fallout boy or scissors sisters ect is just so repeditive i find it boring.

in the music i write i change the chord progressions a lot cause i find it gets boring. people have criticised it for not flowing well and i would also do so. but i do think its better than just having one chord progression over and over. i do think the problem honestly is lack of experience though. i am only up to my 5th song.

btw its not all about the chord progression too. that can be repeditive but that doesnt mean the rest of it is.

I don't really particularly like fall out boy, but I give them credit as being decent musicians though. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's not good.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

I have that same Valvestate amp. (along with 2 others and a halfstak). The problem is that amp is very thin sounding, kinda hollow.
For something that will give you a better tone and not be a waste of money in the future, buy a Pocket pod. There are tons of different tones in there, and it will allow you to play with headphones on too. When I am at home I play a pod through my computer speakers and it sounds better than all three of my combos at low-mid volume.
Don't bother getting a pedal to try to make a valvestate something its not, you will only end up with feedback and buzzy, crap tone--------trust me I had the same plan as you years ago and gave up and bought a new amp.......or two.........or threee!
Jackson Dxmg w/dimarzios up n down
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!
Quote by Reincaster
I don't really particularly like fall out boy, but I give them credit as being decent musicians though. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's not good.

all i said was that i found it too repeditive for me.
Quote by no_thing101
all i said was that i found it too repeditive for me.

You said how you couldn't stand how repetitive it was, IE you didn't like it.

Dude, learn how to spell the word.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Alright everyone, lets be friends, we're all rock fans here let, that unite us.
Ok, better amp is something to look for but for the immediate future I would still like a pedal.
some one said keep it simple, a DS-1 or similar. Just thinking here, would a Digitech Distortion Factory be worth looking into? I could get seven Distortion variations in one pedal for much less $$ than it would be to get several seperate ones.
FOB uses triple rectifiers and they use the "Standard Recto Tone"
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
FOB is the gayest sh!t ever. It can go suck a lil boys ****...fuq them.

lol jk for real. Tr3nt is right, they use triple rectifiers.

Rock on!
i'd a say noose

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

one day....yes one day there'll be a thread about FOB, MGs, spiders, you name it, which WONT decend into a hatefest.

TS: try an OCD if you've got cash to throw about. or a TS9 for a nice mid hump or the digitech analogue series, hothead/grunge/bad monkey

Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Thank you Reincaster for NOT ONLY telling off all of the people who only came here to bitch, but ALSO answering the thread staters question! Kudos. Anyway Ive been a fan of FOB since they played in small chicago bars, there all nice guys but I am currently starting to dislike a certain bassist. But anyway, nowadays they use a lot of mesa stuff because they can afford the better quality. I've also seen the AC30 as well as some other VOX amps. Back wehn they were on the Nintendo fusion tour, they used vox and a Marshall of some kind, but I couldn't tell which. And way back on Take this to your grave, they used Vox, Marshall and Orange.

I would try a tube screamer pedal of some kind as you dont want a new amp and most of them are expensive anyway.

To all of you that are just here to talk sh*t, if you actually..I don't know...LISTEN to an FOB record, you'll, unless your deaf, that they do have extremely good, warm, tone.