Page 1 of 2
ya rly.

After playing with the amp for about a year now, I've realized that this amp isn't really for me--well, it might be, but I've just been clueless lately.

Essentially, I was really dissapointed with my amp yesterday at a gig we had. It was extremely noisy, delay sounded like crap on it on higher volumes, and it just doesn't seem to have enough gain for what I want. It might just be me, or my cables, or me just not cranking it loud enough, but I'm seriously thinking about selling it if I can get a price close to what I payed for.

So If I do sell it, I'm asking, what amp would better suite me now? I want honest opinions, not hearsay, but people who actually own the amps.

I want something high gained--as high as metal territory, but I also want the amp to be well rounded. It has to be versatile, HAS to have an fx loop, combo, I can go used, etc.

The type of tone i'm going for is something heavy and thick. I've always envied those 80's metal band's tone, so I guess we can start there.

Price range is 1,000 to 1,400. I can go used.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I don't personally own one, but I was seriously considering a Mark IV before I didn't get as much financial aid as I thought I would get for college. The one issue people seem to have is that it does take awhile to dial in a fantastic sound into it, it has tons of options and can be extremely versatile. Obviously I'd go used with one, they seem to go for decent prices on ebay and you can sometimes catch a great deal with one.

Just my two cents.
Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
CA Blade Electric
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Carlo Robelli Jumbo A/E

Fulltone Fulldrive2
EHX Small Clone
Buddha Wah
Ibanez AD9 Delay
Ibanez Vintage EQ

Crate V18-112
Peavey Vypyr 75
Roland MicroCube
you'll have to change your avatar. you will no longer be worthy
I pity tha foo'.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
I'm considering doing the same. Except the other way round. I don't need gain at all. 65 Twin RI for my RV50 combo, straight swap. You think anyone'll do it? I think I'll be the one losing out there.
These go to eleven...
Quote by beckyjc
FLAILZ...

I'll trade you my vc for it. -shiftyeyes-

NO ME.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
noooooooo!

honestly, it looks like you're into a less midrangey tone, and a used mark IV would be right up your alley. does great 80s metal, glassy cleans, with ease. and i just came across a setting where the lowend finally kicks you in the chest, granted i never woulda thought of it.

... wanna trade?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Heh, flame all you want, but even If I do sell my orange, I still have the utmost respect for the company.

Like I said, I may not even sell it.

AND NICE TRY, BECKY. D:

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Meh, the VCs cleans are nicer anyway

You were so happy with it, though. I'd really love to get one but the only thing stopping me from just holding everything off and saving up for one is the lack of an effects loop. Well, as well as the fact my parents would slaughter me. And CBA saving up... Ahh.
Quote by UnsignedRecords
noooooooo!

honestly, it looks like you're into a less midrangey tone, and a used mark IV would be right up your alley. does great 80s metal, glassy cleans, with ease. and i just came across a setting where the lowend finally kicks you in the chest, granted i never woulda thought of it.

... wanna trade?

o_o

you're wanting to get rid of your amp too?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
nah, not really

granted, it is way more powerful than i need currently. but the recordings i make with it make up for it.

the thing is, i'd really just like both
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Isn't this so like when you've been going out with a really hot girl for ages and then you just kind of realsie it's not working, so sad!
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Hey Jin, this is what I think: You're overreacting.

Wasn't this -like- your first gig with your new band?

I think you need to take a deep breath, and relax. You have a great amp. One that's really built to nail those Marshall-y 80's metal tones. Your amp and OCD should be able to handle that stuff - absolutely, no problem. I know you felt you were too loud, but that can be adjusted. Gabel uses an attenuator with his Rocker 30 when he gigs, maybe you should look into something like that. Maybe you just need to tweak your settings some more. Practice with your band at gig levels, and play with your sound during rehearsal. That's part of what practice is all about.

Failing that, maybe something like a small Soldano or Budda is more up your alley. If you can get your parents on board, you can offer your amp up for trade on Craig's List and spell out what you're looking for in return. I've completed a couple trades on CL that I think were mutually beneficial.

Really think it thru, though. There are A LOT of worse amps than the Rocker 30 out there.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
This is like when I sold my Plexi, the king stepped down from the throne. Then I can take over as the leader of the Orange Revolution (after most of the creators, besides Philjay) no longer has Orange.

But being a R30 owner (and I LOVE MY R30) I can see why you are selling it. It's definetly not a very high gain amp IMHO, even if it's got gain, it can get muddy with high gain. And I agree delay sounds like crap through it really.

ENGL Screamer is a good choice. These are also worth checking out:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-6505-212-Combo-2x12-Guitar-Amp?sku=481433 /

The 6505 has great crunch IMHO, perfect for 80's metal. It might lack some in the cleans, but not as horrible as people say. It also has a great classic rock tone IMHO.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Engl-Screamer-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481595

Very versatile and very good amp.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-JSX-212-Joe-Satriani-Combo-Amp?sku=481441X

That one's supposdely great and VERY versatile.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/GenzBenz-El-Diablo-60C-60W30W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo?sku=481326

Hear good things about them

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Engl-Thunder-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-with-Reverb?sku=481596

Supposedly very good from what I have heard (I think at least)

Quote by Horlicks
Me buy?

The shipping will KILL YOU!

shipping-> <- you
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Noo!
Orange's biggest fan is leaving them..

I agree with Slats.
If however, you STILL think this way...
Hmm...
Do Carvin V3's come in combos?

edit:
If not, I definitely agree with Gabe about the 6505 (especially the + version). The crunch on this thing is amazing.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Last edited by Yngwi3 at Jan 27, 2008,
Quote by Yngwi3
Noo!
Orange's biggest fan is leaving them..

I agree with Slats.
If however, you STILL think this way...
Hmm...
Do Carvin V3's come in combos?

Legacy's certainly do if they don't.

Which may be more up your alley than a V3
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by Inspired_by_Vai
Legacy's certainly do if they don't.

Which may be more up your alley than a V3

Ah ok- I havn't tried the Legacy
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
Ah ok- I havn't tried the Legacy

Neither have I, I'm just going on word of mouth here

But their supposedly a bit lower gain and tighter sounding, so it would be a bit closer to home, if you will.

Although if Jin's looking to totally move away from the r30 sound...
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
^V3's do come in combo's
Legra
RMC Wizard Wah
Blackstar DistX
Modded SD1
Phase 90
ZVex Fuzz Factory
WH4
Laney VC30 112
Roland MicroCube
YouTube!
Irishman of the Laney Cult
Thanks for the help guys.

Keep in mind, versatility is the key.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
I would give it a bit more time before parting with that beauty. I know the R30 can do 80's metal. I would get an attenuator and leave your OCD on all the time and get a booster (ZVEX SHO or HAO Rust Boost) to send you into solo territory. Also, a mid-boost circuit may be an option (Pete Cornish?).

If you do decide to sell, I would look at a used Mark III/IV.
^Thanks for the advice. It's a great amp--just that it gets extremely noisy when it's turned up. But yeah, I'll definetly look into the mark III/IV. I saw one going used for 850 here!

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
I think a Rivera Knucklehead would be really good for you. Cleans and Crunch are excellent, i'm not a fan of high gain amps but when i played one it sounded GREAT for what it was. You can get em used for like 1200.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
I agree with UnsignedRecords, I think a Mark IV would be exactly what you're looking for. I've tried the 6505s, JSX, El Diablo, V3, Legacy, etc and they just can't do what the Mesa can. Mark IVs are like the kings of versatile. I guarantee you won't be dissapointed.

However, I don't really agree with UnsignedRecord's comment, "honestly, it looks like you're into a less midrangey tone, and a used mark IV would be right up your alley." Maybe I'm just reading this wrong, but the Mark IV is all about the mids.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
It makes me sad to see you disliking an amp that made you so happy before. If you get unhappy with the Picture wah, keep me in mind to buy it. I'd suggest you give slats' advice a shot before selling your amp. But good luck in your tone ventures.

Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by MatrixClaw
I agree with UnsignedRecords, I think a Mark IV would be exactly what you're looking for. I've tried the 6505s, JSX, El Diablo, V3, Legacy, etc and they just can't do what the Mesa can. Mark IVs are like the kings of versatile. I guarantee you won't be dissapointed.

However, I don't really agree with UnsignedRecord's comment, "honestly, it looks like you're into a less midrangey tone, and a used mark IV would be right up your alley." Maybe I'm just reading this wrong, but the Mark IV is all about the mids.

stop contradicting me!

and yeah, i might've worded that wrong. the mark is chock full of mids, but the character of a rocker just has a way more of a (don't wanna say middy...) vintagey(?) edge than the mark does.

bah, i suck with words
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
stop contradicting me!

and yeah, i might've worded that wrong. the mark is chock full of mids, but the character of a rocker just has a way more of a (don't wanna say middy...) vintagey(?) edge than the mark does.

bah, i suck with words

Haha

Yeah, true, it does have a more vintagey tone to it. The Mark IV is kinda vintagey as well, but sounds more modern than the Rocker 30 for sure.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com

The Rivera looks nice. I was thinking about it after I saw the guitar world review.

And I was actually thinking about selling the way...but, I'm figuring I'm selling things too fast. I'll hold on to it for now.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
phew, dodged a bullet there...
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
phew, dodged a bullet there...

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
btw, is it really that difficult to dial in tones with the mark IV? I'm assuming that the mark IV is the end all--be all type of amp--looking at the EQ section, it sure does look that way.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
btw, is it really that difficult to dial in tones with the mark IV? I'm assuming that the mark IV is the end all--be all type of amp--looking at the EQ section, it sure does look that way.

No, not really. There's tons of sites online and even the manual that give you some really good starting points, then you just tweak a bit from there. It took me maybe 10min to find an awesome sound out of mine. Granted, I'm still tweaking a little bit here and there everyonce and a while, but it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Jinskee

just depends on your patience, ear, and uh... whatever you want out of it. i dunno if i'd call it an 'end all-be all' type of amp. but it could be close ha.

and the boogieboards has a couple settings that i liked, and worked off of. anyway, if possible, you should check the amp out.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Last edited by UnsignedRecords at Jan 27, 2008,
Page 1 of 2