Hi ...

I recently started learning scales ...so i have read throught most of the articles on scales in UG and have been practising. But there are a few things I am confused about, I have a feeling I might have got the concept of Pentatonics wrong. Correct me if i am wrong ....but pentatonic scales are just like the normal major scales with only the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th notes right ?.

For example if we take scale of C major for instance..

C major scale = C D E F G A B C

C major pentatonic = C D E G A

This is what i have figured out so far. The only thing is I dont like (really sorry to say this specially since its used so widely and by some of my favs)...

I enjoy playing all the notes of the major scale for some reason ...I just wanna know if there are any drawbacks to sticking to using the major scale rather than the pentatonic scales ....I mean ...is it gonna affect my improvision skills ?
Omitting the notes that aren't in the Pentatonic scale gives it more of a bluesy rock and roll feel. You don't have to always play in the pentatonic scale when improvising. You can just break into a lick that sticks to those notes every so often if you want, or visa versa.
Quote by inlovewithmusic
Hi ...

. Correct me if i am wrong ....but pentatonic scales are just like the normal major scales with only the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th notes right ?.

Yeah, except its the 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6. Minor pentatonic omits different ones.
And they're very useful, but it's up to you.
i didn't feel like actually reading the whole thing but if it helps..

major mode scales use the minor pent.
and minor modes use major pent.
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
If you take any of the "church modes" (being ionian, dorian etc...) and omit the two notes which create a tritone (b5, or #4) then you have that modes relative pentatonic. Now, since the lydian and locrian modes have the tonic as one of the notes involved in the tritone interval, they do not have relative pentatonics (or atleast not ones that are modes of the minor pentatonic)