Moody07747- I miss You
Maddy!- Rock Show
Arnold Rimmer- Stay Together for the kids

Judges:
hazardmaster
Christianbassis
and--- ME!
Last edited by Souls United at Mar 27, 2008,
What if you covered Blink with a backing track...you made yourself? And then you played guitar over it? Is that legit? Why no backing tracks?
If you recorded drums, guitar, bass and keys to form a backing track then you can use that, if you downloaded it somewhere, its not your work and you can't use it.

Simple songs are run to record sometimes, I'm in for this one.
"I Miss You" sounds like a fun one to make. I will try that one.

It's understandable that some people here don't have things like drums and all the instruments they need to form a whole song but if everyone used the same backing tracks then it would all be boring and hard to judge since the guitar would be the only thing that changed...
Last edited by moody07747 at Jan 30, 2008,
Quote by Arrogance
What if you covered Blink with a backing track...you made yourself? And then you played guitar over it? Is that legit? Why no backing tracks?

Yeah... you can make the track yourself... just not a premade one.
ok yeah, that makes sense. I don't have a bass...I guess I could record with no distortion...eh, well see what happens. I haven't decided which song to cover yet. Thanks for clearing that up at any rate.
I don't have one either but I do have a guitar and octave pedal preset on my gear which I use to tune the guitar down far enough to get some fair bass sounds out of the guitar.

You may want to try that
Can we start recording our tracks at any time or is there a set recording start/stop date?
Im not sure many here listen to Blink 182 much being is a basic, simple band but heck, ive been playing music for years now and still enjoy playing the basic songs from time to time.

"I Miss You" which I'm covering has a bunch of string instruments and pianos to fit in, I find that to be a good change to the recordings I normally do here.

My point is to everyone reading this, take some time and try a basic song contest every now and then, they can be fun....plus we need more people for this one before we can even get started.
Quote by moody07747
Can we start recording our tracks at any time or is there a set recording start/stop date?
Im not sure many here listen to Blink 182 much being is a basic, simple band but heck, ive been playing music for years now and still enjoy playing the basic songs from time to time.

"I Miss You" which I'm covering has a bunch of string instruments and pianos to fit in, I find that to be a good change to the recordings I normally do here.

My point is to everyone reading this, take some time and try a basic song contest every now and then, they can be fun....plus we need more people for this one before we can even get started.

You can start whenever.
Im 1/2 done with recording now, I have a lot of mixing/mastering t o do but its coming out great so far. I really enjoy this contest because this gives me a chance to make a song with my new MXL cond. mics.
I'm still deciding what I'm gonna cover.

I've got a question though. Alot of the Blink songs they palm mute to create that background sound during vocals. How do you do that? Like say its a 5-5-7 powerchord. Do you hold the chord and strum up and down cuz my guitar sounds absolutely retarded when I do that. Do you only hit the 7 note?
ill judge.

a powerchord should be 5-7-7, not 5-5-7, unless it has the 4th instead of the 5th.
but when you palm mute powerchords, it sounds fine if you just hit the two
lowest-pitched strings.
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
Quote by christianbassis
ill judge.

a powerchord should be 5-7-7, not 5-5-7, unless it has the 4th instead of the 5th.
but when you palm mute powerchords, it sounds fine if you just hit the two
lowest-pitched strings.

Yeah 5-7-7....typo. Ok 2 lowest pitch strings...cuz I'd hit them all strumming up and down and I got this twanging sound...it was terrible.
well, okay, i'll be first out to enter the contest. It's a cover of All the small things that me and a friend did. It is very diffrent fron the original and is a little bit of a wild card. Just as many people has hated it as loved it. But generally people who hate blink like this one and vice versa.

THE SONG IS IN MY PROFILE!
Very different Errx
It's one of those "hate it or love it" type tracks...........me I don't think its too great, (too slow for me...) but you did a great job on the recording and mix.

My track is finally done. It's in my profile:
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/moody07747/

I couldnt do that great at the high main vocals but its better than nothing...
Last edited by moody07747 at Feb 5, 2008,
It was really well done except yeah the high vocals made me laugh...I think its cuz you were whispering. I kept picturing a claymation man or a puppet singing it.
Quote by moody07747
Very different Errx
It's one of those "hate it or love it" try tracks...........me I don't think its too great, (too slow for me...) but you did a great job on the recording and mix.

My track is finally done. It's in my profile:
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/moody07747/

I couldnt do that great at the high main vocals but its better than nothing...

I like it
We're about to start recording our cover, just Bass, Guitar and Vocals.. really, really bad recording quality though.
Quote by katebassist
Have you a deadline yet?

No I'll set one as soon as we get a good amount of recordings submitted.
Quote by Souls United
No I'll set one as soon as we get a good amount of recordings submitted.

Thank you.
what file formats does this site accept!!!

i hate realplayer but thats what the format is atm
MP3

if your file is anything else download Audacity and import the audio into there...then export as MP3. You'll need to download the LAME encoder from the Audacity site in order to get audacity to change the file.
I'll judge, if you want.
ಠ_ಠ WILL GIVE HEAD

Quote by Myxer
Have to give you props that the funniest post I read in a while
Quote by GogglesVK

hazardmaster has won this thread.

Fender Stratocaster 57' Reissue (Japanese)
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
we should set a deadline, this comp. has been open for far too long IMO...(I think its been about 2 months now...)

Just take whoever is done with their audio and have the judges vote.
Last edited by moody07747 at Mar 27, 2008,
Quote by moody07747
we should set a deadline, this comp. has been open for far too long IMO...(I think its been about 2 months now...)

Just take whoever is done with their audio and have the judges vote.

I agree...

Im sorry about the long time... I've just been really busy with track practices.

Due to my time issue... Im not going to record anything and be a judge..

This contest is closed to entries now.
Quote by xfallchildx
youtube.com/aznfirex i covered some blnik stuf a while ago.

No backing tracks Im sorry
I think I pulled a stupid move....
I cant find my audio track anywhere on my PC and I think I may have deleted it from my UG profile....

I'm not sure why I did this but either way I guess this counts me out for this contest.

I liked Maddy's cover.
Last edited by moody07747 at Apr 7, 2008,
Page 1 of 2