What are they and how do they work. I for the life of me cannot figure out how they work. I look at them, (Marshall EL34 100/100, Mesa Boogie 2:90) and think, what?. There are no controls, nothing like a normal amp. I know Mick Thomson used one on Slipknot's Self-Titled album. But how did he change the settings to his likings?

Please someone explain this (probably very easy answer) to me...
Being as i'm quite thick, i'm gonna say something and hope someone confirms it or correct it.

A power amp is something that drives the speakers, so it's like an Amp head without all the Channels and Effects and all that. So am i right in saying that i could plug my guitar into a Line6 Floor pod plus and use all the amp modules and EQ on that as the channel, then plug it into a Power Amp and then that into my speaker cabinet?
Quote by MetalMusicGod
Being as i'm quite thick, i'm gonna say something and hope someone confirms it or correct it.

A power amp is something that drives the speakers, so it's like an Amp head without all the Channels and Effects and all that. So am i right in saying that i could plug my guitar into a Line6 Floor pod plus and use all the amp modules and EQ on that as the channel, then plug it into a Power Amp and then that into my speaker cabinet?

Yes, I think so. I'm pretty sure the POD could act as a preamp.
Quote by guitarcrazy1991
Nope, an amp head has a preamp and a power amp...

I thought the Channels and all that were the Pre-Amp. Sorry, but I really am that thick