I've been wondering something for awhile now regarding the DVD region code that each computer has. I know that you're allowed to change the region code of any PC machine once, but ONLY once, and because of that I've been wondering two things: one, why you're only allowed to change it once, and two, if it is possible in any way to change it more than once.

To be honest I'm more concerned with the second question as I have a couple of DVDs I want to watch but can't because I need to change my region code, but I'm a bit hesitant to do so in case it makes all my other DVDs unplayable. I'm very confused by this because I bought my computer in New Zealand (where I live), but I can't play DVDs from New Zealand, yet I CAN play DVDs from Australia, which is supposed to be contained in the same region code as New Zealand. In fact, I can also play DVDs from the USA as well, which is even more messed up.

I have never changed the region code before, so I have no way to explain this, but if people could tell my why this is the case I would very much appreciate it. And obviously if someone could tell me how to change the region code more than once that would be really great as well.

Thanks
i have never even heard of this before, it sounds interesting. What is the reason for such a thing?
Member #3 of the Breaking Benjamin Fanclub PM Electric7 to join.
Quote by pavel
i have never even heard of this before, it sounds interesting. What is the reason for such a thing?

It's a method used to prevent DVD piracy in a more indirect way. See, a DVD player intended for use with a TV is designed so that it can be made in a given country then sold anywhere in the world and be used. However, DVD players used in computers are different. Any part of a computer is intended to be used in certain countries, for whatever reason, and this DVD region code thing is a way of preventing DVD players from being used in countries other than those intended, which is why only a limited number of changes are allowed.

I've heard of some people being allowed more than one change, but it's because there are originally several changes permitted for any computer, but the more the parts are moved around from country to country, the more those changes are used up, as I think that is the real purpose for which they are intended.

I have no idea why you're only "allowed" to use a computer's DVD player in a given area of the world, but I have been told that it prevents people from being able to sell pirated movies in one country to visitors from other countries. Put more simply, it makes it harder for you to buy pirated DVDs in Malaysia, etc and use them on your computer in America, thus helping to kill off piracy. Then again, it's only for computer DVD players, and it's only done for movies, so the idea seems pretty flawed to me.
haha yea that seems pretty ridiculous to me
Member #3 of the Breaking Benjamin Fanclub PM Electric7 to join.