Can anyone recommend some good tunes that will allow myself to practice the "A" shape barre chords? I know of "Flake" by Jack Johnson, any others?
Well off the top of my head, 'Bridge to Nowhere' by Sam Roberts has one in the main riff.
"All along the watch tower" Jimmy Hendrix easy & you can say you can play Hendrix LOL

once you master the pattern & chord change, try between chords as you are changing between chords strum just the G,D&B strings open, it gives the feel of the song, its all in the timing but a great song & pretty easy to master early in your barre chord learning.

Another song that is good for the "A" form barred is "Lady writer on the T.V." Dire Straits.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Jan 26, 2008,
Do you all use three fingers to play it or do you barre it like the guy in the pictures?
My Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom - Alpine White
Vox AD30VT
Epiphone SG Special - Black
Planet Waves Cables
Levy's Strap
Dunlop .70 Picks
Quote by ATLBraves2014
Do you all use three fingers to play it or do you barre it like the guy in the pictures?

Id play the C# and B the same way as Dix-Fix. For the A though id use my middle finger.
the campfire song song by spongebobn squarepants is A# then Eb on the a string, its fun

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
ATLBraves2014 I dont play "A" like this normally only on rapid chord progression or slide where the third finger is allready playing the "A" like "C#" "B"formation why not just use it rather than change formation to traditional "A" Im lazy & anything that will help i use.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
I can't physically get my other 3 fingers to fret like a normal open A chord when I'm doing the barre thing with my index finger, the only way I can do it is like in the picture. Sometimes the high E string gets caught though and it sounds like crap if you strum it so I usually try not to strum the high E or I just make really sure I haven't acidentally fretted it if I'm going to..
I play my open A with my middle finger, but then use my index (to barre) and ring for a B... go figure...
I just play it with 2 fingers instead of 3. Most of the time you can't tell much difference, yet it's alot less painful. The webbing between my index and middle fingers doesn't like me to stretch it that much.
Quote by an epic mistake
the campfire song song by spongebobn squarepants is A# then Eb on the a string, its fun

doesnt A# not exist? Bb does

traffic in the sky - jack johnson, combo of A shape and Am shape also fingerpicking
Quote by TheDev01dOne
I can't physically get my other 3 fingers to fret like a normal open A chord when I'm doing the barre thing with my index finger, the only way I can do it is like in the picture. Sometimes the high E string gets caught though and it sounds like crap if you strum it so I usually try not to strum the high E or I just make really sure I haven't acidentally fretted it if I'm going to..

Yes, that high E-string gives never-ending grief. I'm working on muting it with my little finger.
When we are touched by a song, it is because the artist cannot hide himself. ~Leonard Cohen
doesnt A# not exist? Bb does

A# and Bb are the same pitch and are known as enharmonic equivalents.