I already read through the huge VK thread on here, but yet I wasn't able to find an answer to my questions. So here it goes...

I'm looking for a good Tube Amp to play Metal with, but I don't think I really have a use for a HalfStack and such. I don't play gigs, but I just jam with friends once in a while. So what is the real main difference between the VK 112 and 212. I read that some claim the clean isn't as nice on the 112 and the Dist is a bit muddier on the 112 as well. So is it true is it just a speculation. The $200 difference isn't too huge, but if it's a complete waste of $200 cuz the 112 can do the same job as a 212, what's the point. Is the main difference only volume?

Here's another thing, can you hook up the same type of equipment you do to the Tube Heads as you can to this Combo Amp? Such as a Cab, Reverb Units, Sonic Maximizer, etc.

So yeah, I wanna get an amp and not have to look for a different amp for a long time. Will the 112 do the job or should I get the 212. Or even something different in general. Thanks.
I have the 112 and I like it. It seems like it could do metal without a pedal although everyone here seems to say it couldn't. The 112 is as loud as you'll ever need it if you're not gigging, even if you are gigging it's still loud enough.
Quote by ToffeeandApples
You my friend, put the pwn in pwnt.

Hell Yeah
Go with the 212 later on you will regret not getting it. If theres even a thought that you will want or need something bigger and better just go ahead and get it. It will save you the time and hassle latter of trying to trade it in taking a loss money wise and getting what you could have got in the first place.

Also i have a valveking and love it. From what i've heard the 112 is laking in a few areas and the 212 is a better purchase.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Go with the 212 later on you will regret not getting it. If theres even a thought that you will want or need something bigger and better just go ahead and get it. It will save you the time and hassle latter of trying to trade it in taking a loss money wise and getting what you could have got in the first place.

Also i have a valveking and love it. From what i've heard the 112 is laking in a few areas and the 212 is a better purchase.

its not really that much louder in volume honestly, just because its double wattage doesn't mean its going to be twice as loud, think of physics
if you're mainly interested in playing metal, the VK isn't going to be your cup of tea. I had the 212 combo. I could get into the metal realm with an EQ in the FX loop. but that was it. the speakers are crap on the combo's as well.

you're better off going for a 5150, albeit it's nothing that hasn't been done. but effective none the less!
Jumping Jax Champion 1965!
Quote by 2_Fast_2_Vader
if you're mainly interested in playing metal, the VK isn't going to be your cup of tea. I had the 212 combo. I could get into the metal realm with an EQ in the FX loop. but that was it. the speakers are crap on the combo's as well.

you're better off going for a 5150, albeit it's nothing that hasn't been done. but effective none the less!

The price difference in is pretty big, so I don't know about that.

Can't you just change out the speakers in the 212 and 112 to make it sound better if that's the big problem?
Quote by xWhitechapelx
its not really that much louder in volume honestly, just because its double wattage doesn't mean its going to be twice as loud, think of physics

You are sort of correct but when you add in the fact its twice the wattage and double the surface area allowing more air to be pushed its going to be twice as loud as something with half the wattage and only one 12 inch speaker. So if the need for a bigger gig or to overcome a loud set of drums it might be needed in the future.

and on a seprate note.

Also another thing to look at is the resonance and presence controls rather then the button switch which allow you to dial in a more favorable tone. I know it took a bit of messign around with mine once i got the eq setup right to match what sound i was going for.

Ohh and yea the speakers do suck pretty bad. When i tried out the head at the store it was on the valveking cab and i hated it and almost didnt go with it. But i tried it out on a different cab and it sounded a hell of alot better. The cab mad it bassy as hell.
Well if the speakers is the only prob, I don't think it's gonna be a big deal really. Just still wondering if the extra 200 for the 212 is worth it or not, Haha.
Have a look through eminances website and see what suits the things you're trying to accomplish.
As for valves, JJs get good reviews, as well as Tung-Sol.
i would reccomend getting the 112 and a speaker swap buy NOT a valve swap. an el34 is an el34 and a kt88 is a kt88. if there is any audible difference at all it is much smaller than the difference between a good speaker and a bad one. just my 2 cents.
You're unlikely to need the 100W or second speaker, either. Once you get into the price range of the bigger VK, you're into nicer amps, IMHO.

Quote by 2_Fast_2_Vader

Second hand 5150 ftw! Shouldn't have too tough a time finding one for under $600.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
second hand 6505 ftw
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
I will get the 112 too.
If I'll like it and really will need a louder amp for big gigs, I'll sell it and buy a Valve King head and a cab.
A lot of people say 212 is just a waste of money.
Well...never tried so I can't say.
But I'm going for the 112.
and btw...you can use this combo amps as heads too. You can plugg a cabinet in them.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Kozlic
I will get the 112 too.
If I'll like it and really will need a louder amp for big gigs, I'll sell it and buy a Valve King head and a cab.
A lot of people say 212 is just a waste of money.
Well...never tried so I can't say.
But I'm going for the 112.
and btw...you can use this combo amps as heads too. You can plugg a cabinet in them.

And with a small mod, have both of them running together.
get the 212 in a little while you'll thank me later because i find when you have a 212 it sounds nicer, but i do suggest getting the head and then getting like a 2x12 cab with v30 because the speakers that come with the vk are crap.
I'm also trying to decide between amps...

...does anyone have any experience of using the 50W Valveking 112 and putting it through a 412 cab?

Surely the 112 then becomes the best of both worlds, not too expensive and loud enough, but if you ever need more volume and spread you can buy a cab later on and whack it through that? Or am I missing something?
save up for a better amp. IMO the valveking the spider of tube amps
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
would the ValveKing be a decent upgrade from a Cube15W, does it handle pretty much any genre, are the cleans good?

Could it make like David Bowie or Jefferson Airplane type of clean?
I have the 212 and put celestion 75w speakers in it, sounds huge when its not in the shop haha. The other guitarist in my metal band goes through a ampeg 50w halfstack and has to crank it to keep up while i play on 2nd input(low stage) and on 6-6.5 volume. I do not boost the signal unless im in a solo, so the 212 and 100w will sound great for metal. I would suggest 2 things. One would be to get the extended warranty from the store. Second would be to get new speakers for a tighter sound for metal.
Quote by JLT73
save up for a better amp. IMO the valveking the spider of tube amps

no the spider valve is the spider of tube amps...
dont hate on the VK. its a great amp for the price and sounds pretty damn good with a tube/speaker swap. sure it needs a little work but it sounds great and is pretty affordable.
Quote by sg622
no the spider valve is the spider of tube amps...
dont hate on the VK. its a great amp for the price and sounds pretty damn good with a tube/speaker swap. sure it needs a little work but it sounds great and is pretty affordable.

yeah, after spending 300 on top of the purchase price. So many better amps to get for that price
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus