I have just bought a pickup calibrated for the neck position of my Strat. If I were to fit this to the bridge position, how different would this sound than a pickup specifically calibrated to be fitted to the bridge? Any ideas?
Cheers.
It will sound more trebly, and have less output.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
by the way....dont know if this information will be relevant to help anyone answer my question, but the pick up is a SeymourDuncan HotRail.
Any feedback would be a great help,
Thanks.
Generally (actually, always).. neck specific pups have lower output and are more trebly to kind of balance out the increased bassyness and amplitude that comes with the neck position.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
so....if i only have the one pickup, would recommend leaving it in the neck position (since that is where it is calibrated for)? i want a more metally and crunchy kinda sound. will moving to the bridge help me get that?
The neck hot rails is deffinetly better suited for the neck, most people don't realise but this pickup is brilliant in the neck, its very smooth, thick and creamy with lots of sustain. I'd put it in your neck. Just get the hot rails bridge pickup for your bridge. Deffinetly will be worth the extra and I guarantee for soloing high up he neck with the neck hot rails, you'll really like it. The bridge version is great too, it has shaved, smooth highs and a very good growly distortion.