I'm going to buy a guitar for a very good friend of mine. I have narrowed it down to two choices, Taylor 814-CE and Gibson Songwriter Deluxe. I don't want to ask her to choose one, because I want it to be a complete surprise.

She plays a lot of everything but mostly folk/soft rock/alternative.

Her major influences are Jack Johnson, John Mayer, and Michelle Branch.

I don't know much about guitars. I play a little bit (I have a Ibanez V-Series V70CEBK - 200 dollars lol), but mostly its just for fun.

What would the major differences be between these two guitars? Playability? Fuller Sound?

Which one would you give the upper hand to?

Thanks Guys!

Oh, and what do you guys think of my Ibanez guitar, I just blindly picked it. I've always been curious to how other people view it.
I like the Taylors way better than the gibsons. I think they sound and feel but nicer.
Yeah I agree with fretsonfire Gibsons are way overpriced. Especially there acoustics. That must be some friend if you are buying her that nice of a guitar! Want to be friends? lol
Quote by Alex88
Yeah I agree with fretsonfire Gibsons are way overpriced. Especially there acoustics. That must be some friend if you are buying her that nice of a guitar! Want to be friends? lol

back off! i saw him first!!!
"surprising" a guitarist with a guitar is a bad idea. Personal preference is far too important, and if she doesn't like it, she's in a very awkward situation.

Consult with her.
Quote by Nick_
"surprising" a guitarist with a guitar is a bad idea. Personal preference is far too important, and if she doesn't like it, she's in a very awkward situation.

Consult with her.

Yep, agreed. Although it isn't too bad. Tell her you are going to get her a guitar and let her go to the store and choose multiple out and right them down. Then some other day without her go and get one that she has written down and surprise! It wasn't that Yamaha you were gawking at it was the TAYLOR!
Just all of a sudden tell her that you're getting her a guitar today. Don't surprise her with a guitar she might not like. that sucks. Taike her to Guitar Center or something.
Taylor, hands down... but a guitar is definately something that a player should choose for themselves.
Proud Owner of a 2006 Taylor 814 CE-Fall Limited Edition

Quote by MiasmA
guys, i got it. pucture = the rare breed of green fruits that tend to laugh scoffingly and then question a statement. AKA lolwut pears

CASE CLOSED..
Taylor, very playable, pretty tone, so easy to get a great one out of. Gibson are overpriced, and this isn't even one of the nicer guitars. It's not a cheap one, but pretty ugly I think and very dead bland sound. The Taylor is beautiful and has this great sustain and lovely tone.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
Wait a minute guys. From my google search the Gibson seems to be $1000 cheaper than the taylor.

There are 3 major differences between these gutiars.

1 Body shape

The taylor has a smaller body shape which will be better for recordings and for fingerpickup because it'll have a more defined high end and a midrange that is slightly scooped. The Gibson has a Dread body which sounds better when strumming chords around a campfire do to it boomy low end and strong midrange. Many people describe the dread as sounding "boxy" but the dread is the most popular model of guitar so boxy can't be all bad.

2 bracing. Taylor has different bracing than Gibson and the simple fact that these guitars have different body shapes mean the bracing has to be different. The Taylor bracing is designed to make the guitar as loud as possible and because it's a small body instrument it needs the volume. The bracing taylor uses is going to boost your low end and your top end. It's also going to make the guitar seem faster and more responsive. The drawback is that it'll also make the guitar sound thin, it's not going to project as well, and it'll sustain less. The Gibson will have a midrange that balances out with the bass and trebble better and it'll sound much fuller and warmer with better prjection and more sustain. The downside is that it sometimes sounds too full which can make it sound muddy with too much low end when recording.

3 the neck
Gibson and taylor have very different neck shapes. Whish is better depends on the person. Taylor necks make my wrist hurt so I can't play taylor guitars for a long time but other people think they are the most comfortable necks in the world. Also, taylor uses ebony fretboards with small inlays and the gibson you are looking at use large block inlays on a rosewood fretboard. This too is going to change the way the guitar sounds.

Based on the musicians you listed before, I'd actually look into Larrivee OM-03R, and Martin OM28. I think they will have more of the tone you are looking for and they will cost less.
Not taking any online orders.
I tried a dozen Taylors and Martins and went with the Gibson Songwriter Deluxe, which is an incredible guitar. It doesn't sound anything like other Gibsons.

Ah, but this is a year late.
i've been told that taylors are way overrated, but i've also heard the same about gibson. i personally like gibsons, and when i was playing the songwriter in my local guitar shop, my friends said that it sounded the best out of all of them. (hummingbird, j-45, dove and many different vintage versions of those.) i guess it's all in your opinion. i find taylors to be too twangy, but you might like that if you play country or folk music. if you can afford it, go with the gibson, if not martin makes amazing guitars.
Old thread is old. And closed.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.