Well, at some point this year I'd like to purchase an acoustic guitar and learn how to play. The only things you really need to know about my situation is:

- I'm left-handed
- On a budget
- Also play Bass, Keyboard, and Drums

So as you can see, I'm not exactly in the market for an expensive guitar, I just want something that I'll be able to learn on, and then if I like it, I'll buy a more expensive guitar later down the line.

Anyways, here's a guitar I've been thinking about getting, what do you guys think about it?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-SGT120LNT-SAGE-SERIES-Left-Handed-Acoustic-Guitar-512327-i1171383.gc

If you think that guitar is worth it, great. If not, I'd like to know if this guitar is any good (although I'd prefer to buy the first one, only because of finances, however if it's bad i should be able to pull together some more money for this one)

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-CD100LH-Left-Handed-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar-103574901-i1166301.gc

If both of them flat out suck, then i guess ill just have to keep looking

Thanks UG
Last edited by Another bassist at Jan 26, 2008,
They both have laminate tops, so they are not worth purchasing. I would check to see if Yamaha makes a left-handed version of the FG700s.
Just because they are laminate, doesn't mean they are not worth purchasing.

I was in the same situation and bought a laminate starter pack for $150.
I have solid wood guitars, but still keep the laminate for a beater, since I don't really ant to travel around with the others. It sounds decent enough to learn on, and play occasionally.

If I were to do it again, I would just buy a laminate guitar from ebay for $100 or less. Even if it is not perfect or new, it will be good enough to learn on. Then all you need is picks and a tuner and you're off !

If you into playing, then go for a more expensive solid wood guitar.
Quote by Jerome G
Just because they are laminate, doesn't mean they are not worth purchasing.

I was in the same situation and bought a laminate starter pack for $150.
I have solid wood guitars, but still keep the laminate for a beater, since I don't really ant to travel around with the others. It sounds decent enough to learn on, and play occasionally.

If I were to do it again, I would just buy a laminate guitar from ebay for $100 or less. Even if it is not perfect or new, it will be good enough to learn on. Then all you need is picks and a tuner and you're off !

If you into playing, then go for a more expensive solid wood guitar.

Why on earth would you buy a laminate top guitar when for the same price you can get one with a solid top? It just makes zero sense. I too have a beater starter guitar that I can just toss in the car, no worries. It ran me $100 bucks on sale, brand new. It's a Yamaha FD01S (it has a solid top). I haven't even touched on the fact that the brands the OP is talking about are Ibanez and Fender, which are pretty terrible in the acoustic realm.

EDIT: OP, it looks like your best bet is the Alvarez RD20SL, it runs for $250.
Last edited by Cheers at Jan 26, 2008,
^ Good point, if you can get a solid top for $100, then go for it.
Either way, if you get into playing, you will probably want to upgrade from a $100 guitar.
If you have a guitar-playing friend or acquaintance you can take him/her to the store to try out a few affordable guitars. Things like high action of fret buzz are easy to spot if you have played a bit already. When you have removed the faulty and badly made models from the selection you can compare the tones and get the best one in your price class.
If you do not happen to know anyone that plays guitar you can ask the cleric in the store (at a quiet time, this is important) to play a simple melody on the guitars. Check yourself if you are able to get a distinct tone from each fret on each string and compare how high the strings are from the fretboard between models. Getting a decently set up guitar will save you 50 dollar in set up costs, and is quite important in the ease of play when you are just beginning. For the same reason you want to avoid buying online as a beginner, you might save 20 dollar on the cost, but you probably end up needing to get it set up because of insane string height or fretbuzz spending 30 dollar more than the store model.

If the store near to you doesn't happen to have left handed guitars or you just want to take a risk and order online, yamaha would be a good choice your budget indeed, as the quality of yamaha is pretty consistent between different guitars in the same model. Fender is an OK brand at best for acoustics which cost more than many similar made guitars made by other brands. Ibanez acoustics I know nothing of I am afraid.

With your budget you will want to avoid the advise of the previous posters, it is better to have a better build guitar with slightly cheaper material than a shoddily contraption made of fine wood. (tone matters less than playability if you are starting) Especially under the $200 mark chances are the solid tops are going to be worse than the laminate ones and the whole myth/idea of tone improving is not going to matter to you the next 0-3 years, you want a guitar that sounds good right now, not an investment. Plus, it will save you from having to make a hysteric forum post about your guitar drying out on you.