Page 1 of 2
I've been playing bass for over a year and a half now and figured it was about time for me to learn the notorious "YYZ." I've been working on it for the past two days and all I have to say is "WOW!" I've played some pretty fast/challenging songs, but this is crazy. I've determined myself to not to give up on this song until I get it. Sometimes the song is so fast though I have trouble picking up on what I'm supposed to play where. About how long did it take you all to learn this song, and do you have any pointers for me besides mass quantities of practice? Thanks my fellow UG-ers!
This song you cant dive in head first.. you gotta dip your toes in first. Dont go in and try to play it from start to finish.. Start slow - I recomend power tab or guitar pro and so you can slow the tempo down and take it peice by peice. Do say.. 4 bars at a slow tempo then go back and speed it up a bit then go back ect ect.

Try not to get to cut up (like I did..this thread makes me wanna try again) cos you cant get it.. Just take your time.

I also dont recomend playing YYZ and only YYZ untill you get it.. You'll go crazy and lose intrest.
I own:
Fender Jazz 24 (5 string) Yay! =D
Behringer BXL3000A Nay =(
Zoom B2 effects Ehh? =S

Im learning:
Bass =P

I play in:
Casual Karma
The Uno Whos
- Both uni bands

DnD nerd of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
I think it is a good idea if you learn that song simply too build up your dexterity/finger muscles... thats it.

However, I would not get frustrated/upset over trying to sound like Geddy Lee, who has confused digital masturbation and cyclone notes as good music. He's a technition, but i have yet too here one memorable/catchy melodie or bass line from him in the entire 30 year RUSH output.

Learn songs from guys like Sting , Jack Bruce, John Entwistle, Jack Cassidy, Sir Paul instead of the nerdy Canadian.

It's about the melodies..... not 1,243,545,345,345,234 notes per second.
Quote by Pizza The Hut
I think it is a good idea if you learn that song simply too build up your dexterity/finger streangth... thats it.

However, I would not get frustrated/upset over trying to sound like Geddy Lee, who has confused digital masturbation and cyclone notes as good music. He's a technition, but i have yet too here one memorable/catchy melodie or bass line from him in the entire 30 year RUSH output.

Learn songs from guys like Sting , Jack Bruce, John Entwistle, Jack Cassidy, Sir Paul instead of the nerdy Canadian.

You have got to be kidding me. I can understand you don't like Rush, but to say he has never had a good bassline is just ridiculous and stupid.
I think it is a good idea if you learn that song simply too build up your dexterity/finger muscles... thats it.

You obviously have do not know bass my good sir. While I do not like Geddy Lee's tones, to say he has never had a catchy bassline is to say Jaco didn't know Jazz. I will bid you good day.
Wow, that's was so ignorant.
Why bring up he's Canadian? I am, and it's great!
Geddy has so many memorable lines. Maybe not to you, but you're not everyone.
dude yyz is hard, good luck. hell i've been playing for 4 years and keep giving up when i try and play it in it's entirety. i always lose time in it. but then again i've never really tried to get it jsut hey i wanna play this part etc.
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by Pizza The Hut

Um, i'm pretty sure that you used the wrong forms of "to" and "hear". Learn some grammar from guys like F. Scott Fitzgerald, Mark Twain, and Edgar Allen Poe instead of ignorant message boards.
Slap a bass, not a ho.
dont watch the guy on youtube playing it. it might make you thin its easy. or if you are already playing it than you might get discouraged. slow it down. try not to get overworked. dont play it constantly.

edit: GO CANADA!!! even though i dont live there
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
The toughest thing about learning YYZ is the little, tiny changes Geddy makes in each line. It's the same line but he does something different each time. It drove me crazy. For example he'll switch the rhythm up just enough to notice, he'll add notes, slides, etc.

Most of the song is in 4/4 so it should be easier than it looks to get down.

Here's a tip how I did it. Cut the bpm in half to 70 bpm. Actually I had to cut it down to 60 bpm and get the song down perfectly. Slowly work your way up using a metronome of course. Get the drum track for YYZ on Guitar Pro and just jam with that at 60 bpm. That's how I did it and it took about a three days to a week almost non-stop to get it down. I still haven't got it perfect, you can see it in my profile.
Quote by BigRudy
I disagree Slipknot is more technical than Necrophagist and more brutal than Suffocation, that's why I do hardcore dances to it with my 14 year old friends.
Quote by Pizza The Hut

.... i just.... have no words for you.
[img]http://www.fan2band.com/DynamicImages/97465_906_49_1997.gif[/img]
I think the most important thing to remember with YYZ is a) Don't over play it and warm up before playing it. b) Enjoy the Synth bridge , and c) Get into the rhythm of it, and listen to the guitar part.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
sorry to hijack the thread but i just figured it out after 6 months of trying. i'm pumped
I shot JR

The biggest problem with this song for me is the fills he does. Especially the one where he does the natural harmonics.

It took me quite some time to get most of this song down though.
Quote by PrimalVexations
Only sad thing is, I have no idea how to work Guitar Pro. It just seems so overwhelming and confusing. Can someone give me some help on that too? Hahaha.

try using power tab then. i find guitar pro confusing too. so at least im no the only one. go to power tab. and its free and smaller
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
I'm going to have to agree with pizza the hut, although I won't say he's the bass equivalent of Yngwie, at certain points there's no reason for the technical extravagance, it's just there for the sake of being there. Who are they playing for? Who actually listens to Rush?
Musicians.
That's not a bad thing, if they're going for that, but you guys are so rabid to any criticism it's ridiculous. Rush are not untouchable gods; in my view they're pretentious and horribly over-rated. I have to perfectly honest, I've never really been emotionally affected by a Rush song, they just leave me cold. Sometimes less is more, and Rush is really just musical extravagance, they just try to put as much as they possibly can into every song. And in the end, it kinda sounds muddled and atonal, and nothing nice to listen to. He didn't say Geddy Lee was a bad musician, he was just giving his opinion, and one that I think was perfectly justified.
Really? Pretentious? I've always thought the best thing about them was their ability to make skillful, accessible, non-pretentious music. Sure they make a few songs that are a little overly busy, but in the end, I think they make enjoyable music. They don't seem to put as much into a song as possible. I've never experienced that in any of the 20 or so Rush albums I have. Most of the time it's quite tasteful. Just because it's busier than a lot of popular music and other rock music, doesn't make it bad. It makes it unique, different. Just because you don't like it doesn't give you the right to discredit their musicality, which argue the point or not, you're doing.
Powertab, omit the guitar, and slow it down, that main riff is tricky, with the C# - C - B, that took me a while to get, the first fill was tricky too, but I got it all in the end. But learn the line in your head, listen to the song over and over until you can hum of sing the entire bassline. THEN sit down and practice it. Good luck!
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
You're being incredibly inconsistent here. I made it very clear everything I said was an opinion, and you accuse me of being wrong. I didn't say it was bad, I said I didn't like it, and then I proceeded to explain myself. You came to a different conclusion-that's fine. But don't try to discredit my opinions just because they're different than yours.

And pretentious? Yes, Rush is pretentious. They made a song about trees. Enough said.
Quote by indiebass21
You're being incredibly inconsistent here. I made it very clear everything I said was an opinion, and you accuse me of being wrong. I didn't say it was bad, I said I didn't like it, and then I proceeded to explain myself. You came to a different conclusion-that's fine. But don't try to discredit my opinions just because they're different than yours.

And pretentious? Yes, Rush is pretentious. They made a song about trees. Enough said.

The song talks about trees but is not about trees. How is that pretentious?
I tried learning parts of it but I just couldn't and stopped trying...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
They used trees as a central metaphor. And it sounds stupid. It's not quick, it's not smart, it's not deep, it just sounds like someone trying to write a metaphorical song when there's really nothing gained in using trees as a metaphor.
That's pretentious.
Quote by indiebass21
They used trees as a central metaphor. And it sounds stupid. It's not quick, it's not smart, it's not deep, it just sounds like someone trying to write a metaphorical song when there's really nothing gained in using trees as a metaphor.
That's pretentious.

So you'd rather say men and women explicitly and refer to sunlight as rights? now THAT would sound idiotic.
Who's to say what's artistic in the end? You? Me? Fitz? Well, maybe the last one, but definitely not you or me. You can't say they weren't being artistic with that song until you go up to Neil Peart and say, "Hey, where'd you get your inspiration for Trees" and he says, "I saw a big birch in the back yard." Until then, who are you to say that it was metaphorical codswallop with no meaning?
I disagree.
First of all, it's not necessarily men and women, though if they said that publicly I guess it is.
Second of all, I've heard numerous songs about oppression that were a hell of a lot more powerful, and they dealt with the subject explicitly. "Hurricane" by Bob Dylan comes to mind, hell I'd prefer Nazi Punks **** off to The Trees any day.

To Jazz-Rock Feel: I have my opinion, you have yours. I have every right to dislike Rush, and to defend my opinion. You have every right to disagree with me. And don't resort to that "no one can judge anything because it's all the eye of the beholder" bull**** because we can, and should judge art. My opinion isn't fact, I've stated plenty of times that it is just an opinion. And I didn't say it had no meaning, I said there were better mediums to tackle it in. In my opinion, of course.
Last edited by indiebass21 at Jan 27, 2008,
Rush pretentious? No....you have to go to the lengths of ELP or Van Der Graf Generator to find pretentious prog rock.

I am not a huge fan of Geddy Lee's voice, but I wouldn't call his playing "pretentious".
Quote by indiebass21
I disagree.
First of all, it's not necessarily men and women, though if they said that publicly I guess it is.
Second of all, I've heard numerous songs about oppression that were a hell of a lot more powerful, and they dealt with the subject explicitly. "Hurricane" by Bob Dylan comes to mind, hell I'd prefer Nazi Punks **** off to The Trees any day.

To Jazz-Rock Feel: I have my opinion, you have yours. I have every right to dislike Rush, and to defend my opinion. You have every right to disagree with me. And don't resort to that "no one can judge anything because it's all the eye of the beholder" bull**** because we can, and should judge art. My opinion isn't fact, I've stated plenty of times that it is just an opinion. And I didn't say it had no meaning, I said there were better mediums to tackle it in. In my opinion, of course.

dude chill out, you can think rush sucks, everyone else can know they rock it's cool. everyone is entitled to being ignorant (it's not a put down it is just saying that some people have not seen the light).

but no that was just a joke man, it's all good. some like rush some don't (1/2 my frineds think rush is dreadful) it's just like i dislike the mars volta, but others love it. let this be a lesson to all everyone has different tastes in music
I shot JR

Quote by indiebass21
I believe that's what I said.

i know man i'm just backing you up
I shot JR

I wasn't saying you can't have your taste in music. That's all gravy. But what I won't stand for is for you to discredit Rush's musicality even though they are all skilled musicians. Which is what your tone implied, whether you meant it that way or not.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I wasn't saying you can't have your taste in music. That's all gravy. But what I won't stand for is for you to discredit Rush's musicality even though they are all skilled musicians. Which is what your tone implied, whether you meant it that way or not.

i also agree with this, hhmm now i'm conflicted

Freedom of expression Vs. RUSH's skills

but on a different note geddy's got some ****ing hard fills in this song
I shot JR

Quote by indiebass21
I disagree.

you can think whatever, but do you really have to put down everyone who is praising them just becuase you can?
sometimes things are just better kept to yourself.
[img]http://www.fan2band.com/DynamicImages/97465_906_49_1997.gif[/img]
Quote by indiebass21

the moment you starting saying a band is pretentious, you put yourself on a very slippery slope. How is singing a song about trees pretentious, unless i am misunderstanding your meaning of pretentious. As you said all art should be judged, but what makes this specific piece pretentious, not every band has to have some specific well motivated reason behind their music...
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
Quote by indiebass21
I'm going to have to agree with pizza the hut, although I won't say he's the bass equivalent of Yngwie, at certain points there's no reason for the technical extravagance, it's just there for the sake of being there. Who are they playing for? Who actually listens to Rush?
Musicians.
That's not a bad thing, if they're going for that, but you guys are so rabid to any criticism it's ridiculous. Rush are not untouchable gods; in my view they're pretentious and horribly over-rated. I have to perfectly honest, I've never really been emotionally affected by a Rush song, they just leave me cold. Sometimes less is more, and Rush is really just musical extravagance, they just try to put as much as they possibly can into every song. And in the end, it kinda sounds muddled and atonal, and nothing nice to listen to. He didn't say Geddy Lee was a bad musician, he was just giving his opinion, and one that I think was perfectly justified.

Who listens to RUSH? well like you said: Musicians. and who would care most about the perfection of an overly technical part of a song? Musicians. Tho i agree not everyone can and will be a RUSH fan (and sadly Geddy is not God) to say there is to much extravagance is quite impossible. The band name RUSH should imply what they're trying to do (as said in many an interview with the band) which explains why their music is presented in that way. and OVER RATED... Hell for the longest time and sure still in present day, the only ones who know of RUSH are we the Canadians . We can't even get other countries to remember who we elected to represent us, so like hell we can promote a band to the point of being OVER RATED
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Green Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Member - Geddy Lee Fan Club -

Hartke 4x10, 400W VX cab
Hartke HA3500 350W head

Squire Custom JAZZ Bass (Midnight Blue)
Watch it live. Also try listening to it with a "bass boost" EQ or somethin' like that. I to am learning this song and I agree: IT IS TOUGH! I saw them live on the first date of the Snakes and Arrows tour in ATL and plan to see them again on the last night in, again, ATL. Iv'e made fairly good progress playing slow and repeating it over and over and over then moving ahead. Look at the YYZ tab on this site by "Mario D'Alessio (motcid!marble!dalessio)" for timings. Good luck man.
man Rush is awsome. They are actually not over rated. Many people have only heard the name if that. Their fan base is full of big fans. Not to many casual listeners. Shut up man don't dis the music. And also Americans LOVE Rush. Look at their tour info sold out all over the US. Not many shows in Canada 3-5 average.
Page 1 of 2