Hey, I'm doing a strat project, and I'm new to putting guitars together and customizing, but I thought it might be a good idea to install a floyd rose system to my strat...is this a good idea? could it work? I'm not realy to familiar with the floyd rose system either, so I'm not realy sure. thanks for the help.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
You'd need to rout out the tremolo cavity to fit the FR, as it's bigger than the standard trem.

You can find the measurements for a floyd cavity floating (no pun intended) around on the internet, and I'm sure that a couple squires in the past were fitted with floyds, so that might be a good place to look.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Its definitely possible, just going to take some work.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Quote by Kutanmoogle
You'd need to rout out the tremolo cavity to fit the FR, as it's bigger than the standard trem.

You can find the measurements for a floyd cavity floating (no pun intended) around on the internet, and I'm sure that a couple squires in the past were fitted with floyds, so that might be a good place to look.

+1
Manchester United
I just checked musiciansfriend, and they dont sell floyd rose parts...I'm about to check zzounds, if anyone knows a web sight that sells it, please post it
Quote by dcdossett65

Who.

Cares.
yeh..they dont have it either, any help in locating a floyd rose system would be appreciated.
Quote by dcdossett65

Who.

Cares.
thanks kutan
Quote by dcdossett65

Who.

Cares.
when in doubt, ebay.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
wow...yeh the floyd rose is a bit more expensive then I thought it would be, so I'm guna have to scratch that idea. thanks for the help though

edit: didn't even think about ebay, maybe there will be a cheap one there.
Quote by dcdossett65

Who.

Cares.
okay they're cheaper on ebay thanks for the help everyone!
Quote by dcdossett65

Who.

Cares.
Don't just cop out and buy a super cheap Made In China or Korea Floyd Rose.
Do your research first about them.
http://www.jemsite.com is a good starting place, look around there.
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
What about the nut? Would there be enough room at the top of the neck for a locking nut?
Strats are all bolt on except for custom made ones, Sites sell Strat necks with Nuts pre installed.
You wouldn't be able to do that with a normal strat neck though.
It would stuff up the first fret or the tuning heads, you need about 2cm for the nut to fit on.
YOU DON'T NEED TO ROUTE FOR THE FLOYD ITSELF! Sheesh people, they do have Non-Recessed units, which just drop in (you do need to drill the holes for the studs/posts and route for the nut though). This often works best, though you often need to shim the neck slightly like you would for a TOM Bridge.
The better way to do it would be to get a Strat body already routed for a Floyd Rose tremolo. Warmoth does that, I am almost positive. It might be a bit more expensive, but you aren't drilling in and risking damage to your guitar. You can buy Strat necks with locking tremolo nuts as well. I'm sure there are places other than Warmoth that sell them, too, I just know that one off the top of my head.

It would be more expensive, but you aren't risking damaging your guitar and you would end up with exactly what you want and you would get a second guitar out of it, as well. If you really want that particular guitar to have a Floyd Rose, it can and has been done, but a modification like that is much easier to do initially than to add it on later.