When you hear a song without your guitar. Can you Figure what notes and intervals are being played?

I can figure out Dream Theater stuff By ear with my guitar. But If hear a nursery rhyme on tv, I have no clue how its played until I pick up my guitar!

This is really frustrating because I've been ear training everyday for a over a year and still can't figure out songs without my guitar!

I know it's impossible to know the key of the song without your guitar. But I'm just taking about knowing the intervals of the song without your guitar.

If you can do it. Please tell me how, and How long did it take you?
people with a good ear can tell you what key without a guitar... the kinda of people who can tune their guitar without using tuners or anything and tune every string to the exact pitch..... my uncle's one of them and it irritates me cuz I can't do it.
no its not impossible, its called perfect pitch. its not common but experienced or gifted people can get it through training or experience. they can innately tab songs but it is difficult to do at high speed.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
i first masterbated when i was... 10, i think
or was it 9...
yeah 10
and i'm catholic, don't tell the pope, i'll be holy watered
We learned a method of doing it in my music theory class last year, and i find it works well. Find some simple easy to remember songs that start out with each of the different intervals (for example, the Flintstones theme starts out with a perfect 5th). Then when you hear that in a song, recognize it by remembering the song you have that interval corresponds to.
most of the time singers can do it really easily. so, learn to sing, you can hear things past what they would be on guitar
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
Quote by Faux
We learned a method of doing it in my music theory class last year, and i find it works well. Find some simple easy to remember songs that start out with each of the different intervals (for example, the Flintstones theme starts out with a perfect 5th). Then when you hear that in a song recognize it by remembering the song you have that interval corresponds to the interval in the song you are trying to figure out

really cool way. the "N-B-C" thingy that usually plays at the end of credits on nbc shows is 5-3-1 on a D major chord. first two notes are a minor 6th. over the rainbow is an octave on the first two syllables. etc. etc. here comes the bride is a fifth
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
I've heard that perfect pitch is a huge nuisance. Like when you hear a recording that is just off pitch. Hearing pianos (most people/schools never tune theirs) that are out of tune already bothers me alot. I don't need perfect pitch.
no its not impossible, its called perfect pitch.

Not necessarily. Decent relative pitch or a knowledge of intervals works just as well.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Not necessarily. Decent relative pitch or a knowledge of intervals works just as well.

It works almost as well. The one difference is you will not know the tonal center.. but that doesnt really matter, as you can easily transpose to the correct key
I can do it fairly accurately, although sometimes I get 5ths confused, and I can be a semitone out.

That said, I've been using ear trainers online, so I'm improving.
Quote by spiderjerusalem
really cool way. the "N-B-C" thingy that usually plays at the end of credits on nbc shows is 5-3-1 on a D major chord. first two notes are a minor 6th. over the rainbow is an octave on the first two syllables. etc. etc. here comes the bride is a fifth

Okay seriously I don't want to hear from anyone who doesn't have the ability. This the worst advice I've ever heard.

1. Do you honestly think you have time to think of the "NBC theme" during a Petrucci Solo, good luck your going to have to recognize 10 intervals per second ?

2. Its confusing as hell to think of 2 songs at the same time? you should know each interval as its own sound, and not connect to another song.

3. Here Comes the Bride is a 4th

I'm guessing no one on here has the ability because if they did they probably wouldn't waste their time On UG taking to noobs.

And why the hell does everybody think I'm talking about about Perfect Pitch. I specifically said its not about identifying Keys. Just Intervals.
Quote by isaac_bandits
It works almost as well. The one difference is you will not know the tonal center.

Sure you can. Why wouldn't you know the tonal center?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by scarlet20
Okay seriously I don't want to hear from anyone who doesn't have the ability. This the worst advice I've ever heard.

1. Do you honestly think you have time to think of the "NBC theme" during a Petrucci Solo, good luck your going to have to recognize 10 intervals per second ?

2. Its confusing as hell to think of 2 songs at the same time? you should know each interval as its own sound, and not connect to another song.

I'm guessing no one on here has the ability because if they did they probably wouldn't waste their time On UG taking to noobs.

And why the hell does everybody think I'm talking about about Perfect Pitch. I specifically said its not about identifying Keys. Just Intervals.

That time of the month?
i can pick out stuff sometimes

intervals like

E-0-3-5

or

E-0-2-3

i can sometimes hear those and know thats what they are doing. like in la grange, i could tell what chords it was without playing it
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by rhakiath
no its not impossible, its called perfect pitch. its not common but experienced or gifted people can get it through training or experience. they can innately tab songs but it is difficult to do at high speed.

not really. When I had music theory/solfeggio classes thats exactly what we'd do (and nobody had perfect pitch). "Melodic dictation", the teacher would play something and everybody would have to do their best to write it down.
I can tell what key something is in just by hearing it, but I'm terrible at tabbing stuff out without my guitar.
Quote by scarlet20

Don't be such an arse, the guy was being helpful, and also he was right. The easiest way to do it is by association, learning to to first recognise intervals in context. The more you make a point of listening for them in amongst other things the more they eventually begin to stand out. So what if he got one specific interval wrong, the principle is still correct.

If nobody here has a level of ability that makes them worthy of your attention then might I suggest finding a group of people who are more on your level, maybe a kindergarten class.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Archeo Avis
Sure you can. Why wouldn't you know the tonal center?

With perfect pitch you can. Relative pitch is defined somewhat along the lines of recognizing intervals. You might hear something and know Maj third, Perfect fifth etc... but not be able to tell if its in C major or D major. When you get to your instrument you could easily find the tonal center.

However, one could memorize one note's pitch, and then base the tonic note of the melody to that pitch, thus being able to recognize what pitch is the tonal center.