Okay so everyone and their sister has told me that MG series SUCK.

My question; why?

I had my first live gig today, it effing rocked.

They had amps up there, and I ended up playing through an MG50DX.

Why do they suck so bad? It sounded really nice for me. The distortion isn't really brutal, but I don't want it to be. It had really nice mids and wasn't too muddy, just a little mud. It was rockin', but I didn't have to scoop the mids. It sounded really nice and full.

What's wrong with em? =/
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Once you have listened to some real amps and gotten to have an ear for tone then you will realize how bad they sound.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Ok so you like the MG, some people don't ( I don't like the amp very much either...). That's just how opinions are. There are no really "bad" amps. Just ones that are liked or disliked.

What am I saying? There is nothing wrong with it as an amp, you plug in and play.
However tonally most of us find the MG unpleasant and it's also overpriced.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Ummm...my main complaint is sterility. It's as sterile as a testicular cancer survivor's group.
Hi, I'm Peter
Everybody has their opinions on things. I think people hate it because it's a solid sate amp whereas Marshall is famous for tubed amps.
This is going to get locked....

Search its not hard.

They aren't horrid if you have it on clean with reverb, but the dist is awful.
Yeah the tone is pretty bad compared to other amps, and they have major reliability issues. I had a marshall MG30 and it only lasted 3 weeks.
GEAR
PRS Custom 24
Tanglewood ROCK III
Epiphone LP Custom
Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Ibanez GRG07LTD2
Marhsall AVT100
Originally posted by fender1618
i would rather have a guitar in place of my organs, OR CANDY
Quote by zeppelinpage4
Ok so you like the MG, some people don't ( I don't like the amp very much either...). That's just how opinions are. There are no really "bad" amps. Just ones that are liked or disliked.

What am I saying? There is nothing wrong with it as an amp, you plug in and play.
However tonally most of us find the MG unpleasant and it's also overpriced.

100% right mate
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12
Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro

Ibanez RGA 121 w/ Crunchlab and Liquifire
Music Man John Petrucci Mystic Dream
ERG Custom Guitar
Quote by Ishiga

My question; why?

Why do they suck so bad? It sounded really nice for me. The distortion isn't really brutal, but I don't want it to be. It had really nice mids and wasn't too muddy, just a little mud. It was rockin', but I didn't have to scoop the mids. It sounded really nice and full.

What's wrong with em? =/

By reading this I think you know nothing about tone.

You say you didn't have to scoop the mids to make it sound 'nice and full' scooping the mids out on ANY amp will make you sound like mud on-stage.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
they don't sound great at all, listen to better amps and develop an ear for good tone first...then try going back to an MG...
they are muddy sounding and always break down.

not great for live use, could be ok for bedroom use.
my main issue with the mg series is that they are not worth the price. other than that they're ok. i mean, granted, they don't sound great by any means..but there are so many amps out there that sound worse. the mg gets a bit too much of a bad rep for being a ****-tone amp. yes, it's pretty bad. but there are many many worse out there. if all the mgs dropped to 1/2 their current prices, they'd be quite good for a beginner. as it is they're great for beginners...but the not good tone is definitely not worth the money. but since people keep buying them at their current prices, marshall'll keep making and selling them for that much.
I can understand the overpriced part. But honestly; I've sat down and had a bit of fun with a JCM 800. Sure, it sounds 10x better than an MG. But a $350 50W combo versus a 1900$ head + cab, it's a bit unfair. Scooped mids can still sound full if it's actually got some balls behind it.

The MG I played earlier sounded full and rounded. Personally, I think it's because people try to push too much out of a more classic voiced amp. It's not made for br00talz. It's got crunch and fuzz, not a whole lot of rape behind it. It's made for effects loops with pedals.

I've got a line 6 Spider III and a friend has a Crate GLX65, and a friends' friend had a G1200H stack. TBH, Out of all the amps I've tried, the MG wasn't half bad. The JCM had it topped but other than that, the MG beat the rest. The crates and the line 6.

It's still overpriced but the sound isn't bad.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
please. stop. i really don't want these MG lovers VS MG Haters threads. I have minimal opinion. I don't like MGs, it just didn't have the sound i wanted. That's with all the MG Haters, but they have such pride in the tone anal'ness, OR they want to help you from spending so much waste of money in their opinion.

if you love your MG, fine. that's awesome. but I really don't want anymore MG civil war threads... its just plain flat ridiculous.

Dirk? The-X? Jof? Mark? i really think i have a valid point... and here's evidence:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=769264
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=771035
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=768629
but i can't think of suggestions of how to get rid of this. can't make "MG" searchable can you? people don't read the stickies or the FAQ... can't really go on rampage banning all the people making those threads because they might turn out innocent... yea...

that was not too persuasive...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^ You have good intentions and make a very good point.

Where is that thread that explained the MG's and Spiders?
It went into what a person would or wouldn't want in an amp and was a pretty good unbiased overview of these brands.
Anyone remember that? Instead if we just link the TS to that thread or sticky it that would probably help.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Jan 27, 2008,
Think I figured out the problem.

This entire place is full of elitists. "My tone is better than yours." All I was asking was what's wrong with it, but of course, every answer here is pretty much as opinionated as they come. there's no point to it, so, screw it. I'll find a more reliable source. thanks to whoever actually came here for a decent conversation rather than repeating everyone else or just losing their heads over their inability to NOT click on a link they don't want to click.

seriously, dude. grow up. it's a public forum. yes, i do agree, the search feature is there for a reason. okay, so what. point? ya can't expect everyone to actually think. i'll admit, i'm a moron.

but if you don't want to see a thread, don't open it and act like a complete douche just because you don't like seeing anyone bring up a topic that's never been fully answered. it aint gonna stop, get over it.

later.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
Well here is an answer for you. Play one, see what you think. They are obviously popular with some people or they would not sell them. Heck, when you go to Guitarcenter.com the half stack has a 5 star rating. It's not the amp for me, but clearly it is for other people. There is really nothing wrong with asking an opinion on something, but what it boils down to is what sounds good to you? I personally hate the sound of a Fender Strat, but they are really good guitars, just not my thing. Same with an amp. If the MG works for you, then that's all that matters. NO ONE that posts in here is going to be standing in your living room when you play. Who cares what anyone thinks. Get what you want. If you try out the MG and it sounds good to you, then get it. If it doesn't sound good, look at something else. I know some people who actually prefer the sound of an MG over a JCM. I am being totally serious! Hey, whatever, it works for them. To me, Mesa is the best sounding amp out there, but I am sure if I posted a thread on it, I would get plenty of people who say Mesa sucks. Well great, that's their opinion, I am going to play what sounds good to me.

So anyway dude, get what sounds good to you. Don't worry about what other people think.

Peace out!
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by Ishiga

My question; why?

What's wrong with em? =/

NOT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use the damn search bar ffs!
Quote by Ishiga

This entire place is full of elitists. "My tone is better than yours." All I was asking was what's wrong with it, but of course, every answer here is pretty much as opinionated as they come. there's no point to it, so, screw it. I'll find a more reliable source. thanks to whoever actually came here for a decent conversation rather than repeating everyone else or just losing their heads over their inability to NOT click on a link they don't want to click.

seriously, dude. grow up. it's a public forum. yes, i do agree, the search feature is there for a reason. okay, so what. point? ya can't expect everyone to actually think. i'll admit, i'm a moron.

but if you don't want to see a thread, don't open it and act like a complete douche just because you don't like seeing anyone bring up a topic that's never been fully answered. it aint gonna stop, get over it.

later.

This place isnt full of Elitists I will assure you of that. More so people with some common sense who wont buy such an over priced POS amp when they can get way better for cheaper. You have to face that fact.

And fair enough go cry to mommy because you cant take peoples opinions.
u never need to create a new thread for it either. just because you want your own specific question answered ("why does MGs suck" which has been answered) don't just start a thread. I had an MG30DFX before, and i'll tell you why its not desired, at least for waht kind of tone i want or kind of music i play:
-overdrive is very shrill. fizzy. very wierd harmonics that pierces my ears.
-very irresponsive to my playing. when i hit my strings hard, it gets louder. no change in tone.
-flabby extremely loose bottom end. not tight enough.
-even the overdrive has a very fizzy high treble, clean channel is extremely muddy. the high end is non existent, not being able to hit sparkle cleans.
-also, the clean channel has no definition. low mids and the bass response are both waaay too flabby. loose. gross.
-the amp has noise. even with all the electronics (that's able to) turned off. my guitar had the volume knob rolled down all the way. still hiss/hum.
-speakers are crappy. rattles way too much.
-generally overpriced. $230 is what i paid for the 30watt combo. i could've saved 170 more and get my blues jr earlier (it was 400 back then).

i sold the MG30DFX on craigslist for $130 though. that was a good deal for a not too great amp.

so there are my points. i'm sorry if i let you down, but yes i'm anal about my sound, yes i have different taste than most people, no i do not play metal, yes it did sound like crap to me, it is very overpriced with plenty of better cheaper alternatives, and yes i loved life when i sold it. now did that answer your "topic thats never been fully answered"?

Quote by False_God
Use the damn search bar ffs!

once again dave, you can't search for MG. and people say they used the search bar by just searching one word (or model name in this case).
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
MG's suck because you are paying for the Marshall logo.
You can get better amps for the same price, they're just not Marshall.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
It didn't rock.
Use the search function- these are really tiring now getting a MG thread every day.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
My issue with them is that the MG10CD is fine for beginners who just want to hear themselves play and don't really care if they have a nice tone. Its a little overpriced since its nothing more than what i'd class as a "starter pack" amp, and seriously, just because its a marshall, doesn't make it any better than that.

The MG100HDFX halfstack and the 30+ watt combos cab on the other hand are basically the same cheap, shabby sounding amps, except that they are bigger, louder, and more expensive. Bear in mind that bigger + louder =/= Better. You don't get an improvement in tone at all - if you are going to gig with an MG, you'd honestly be better off getting a little 10 watter and either mic-ing it up or connecting it from the amps line-out/headphone socket into the PA.

the higher wattage models are complete and utter pointless crap that are there just there to squeeze the money out of people who join their first band under the impression that they need 100 watts for gigs, and since they need the amp NOW and don't have a lot of cash to spare, they see a marshall they can afford and say "wow, its a marshall, it must be good", and buy one. A few months down the line, they hang themselves. this could be you.

my point is, Marshall MGs have a tone that can almost stand up to a BB Blaster amp that you get with the encore starter pack. Don't expect anything better..
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jan 27, 2008,
^ I can't disagree with a single thing you said. Good job.

Quote by Ishiga

You wanted opinions, you got them. Of course people's opinions are going to be subjective. Am I an elitist? I wouldn't say so, but I'm very selective when it comes to tone. I've also been playing for over a decade and have the expendable income to afford good equipment. But even for the money I think there are better options out there than the MG series.
Hi, I'm Peter
what if someone replaced the opamp, added a new speaker etc. to a cheap MG? would that improve it? hmm i should try that one day if i ever happen to fall on getting one of those pieces of crap
Quote by Dirk Gently
Ummm...my main complaint is sterility. It's as sterile as a testicular cancer survivor's group.

My main complaint would be the value for money: almost none. They're expensive, yet they sound like crap (IMO, obviously), and are very unreliable.
Quote by mr_hankey
My main complaint would be the value for money: almost none. They're expensive, yet they sound like crap (IMO, obviously), and are very unreliable.

Agree. My old Traynor TRM30 is even cheaper than MG15; while it's still sound like crap (relatively speaking), it still sounds better than MG15.
^ Yup value is probably it's lowest point.

A Marshall MG100DFX will cost around $450, I got a Peavey Classic 50 for less than that.
If you like the Marshall better that's cool, however I preferred the Peavey and got a louder better sounding (IMHO tone is subjective) amp for less than the price of the MG100.

Value is the BIGGEST problem. I just got a JCM900 for less (including shipping) than the piece of crap MG halfstack I have (I followed the advice of my dumbass mate who loves MGs). Granted since I have got it my JCM has been suffering (still is) some technical difficulties but all it needs is a retube/bias and it's sorted (as far as I can tell). If you love the sound of an MG then good luck to ya (other guitarist in my band has one aswell and he loves his) just don't expect there to be many other people around that will agree with you.

Also as others have said, all these MG threads are getting annoying. Maybe the mods/admins or whatever should make it so "MG" comes out as "**" instead.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15