I play mostly heavy music with hardcore influences ie. Thrashcore / death metal, but I also want a good clean. My main instrument is a 7 string. Some of the head's I've been recommended are the ones on my list. the problem for me is that i have a cab that runs at 4 ohms, so I wanna find a head that has a 4 ohm selector switch, so I can avoid going and buying another cab. These are the heads that I would like advice/opinions on and info if they have a * beside the name that means I don`t know if they have a 4 ohm selector on them. Thanks

Krank Revolution/Krankenstein
Bogner Uberschall*ball
Peavey 6505*
Mesa Boogie Mark IV*
Engl Fireball or another model*
any other suggestions would be apprecitated

Thanks again!
If you can afford ALL of those listed, then go for the ENGL models since they are the best overall for quality and sound as far as I can tell. (German Engineering at it's finest!!!)

Mesa's are great for prestige and pretty good overall, haven't personally heard or seen anyone using a mark IV though, just the combo lonestars etc which are pretty sweet sounding.

Krank is over-rated and overpriced (look at their ads from a year ago compared to now, they've lost almost half their "endorsees" from the metal/hardcore scene who've moved on)

Peavey 6505 is great, but if you can still find a 5150II used, that's the ultimate for hardcore/metalcore gain. Most bands around town at least one of the guitarists still has a 5150 or a 5150II and I personally have been looking for one to replace my XXL for quite some time. The 6505 is supposedly the same thing, but a lot of people would disagree.
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Well this is what I'm going for:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BUG6260

It's a Bugera 6260 head - 120 watts all tube, lots of headroom .

The price is pretty sweet too .

Oh BTW, it's switchable between 4, 8, and 16 Ohm which can match almost any cab.

I can't wait .

Huh I didn't realize the Bugeras were out yet. Out of the list the TS posted I would DEFINITELY go with the Mark IV.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
i will be able to afford most of those models, although now i won't be buying a krank because i've heard so many bad things about them, it's not worth the trouble of going so far to get one. the engl's are all 8 or 16 ohm's now that i've found info on them, so they are off the list for that reason, does anybody know if the mark IV has 4 ohm impedence selectability, or the bogner? thanks again.
It's not on the list, but get a Framus Cobra. Pristine cleans and killer gain.

If you don't want that get a 6505 and get it modded by Voodoo labs.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
the framus are really nice, i've seen them in action a few times, just i can't get them around here. i'm thinkin the peavey because it has the selector and it's been popping up the most. the mark IV would be nice, but again i'd have to travel to even try it out, and i don't know if it has a selector switch for the impedance.
check out metaltronix or lee jackson amps they are real good for metal. cant ever go wrong with Marshall and soldano is unique but very good 2.

the crate blue voodoo is sweet also
I'd go with a Roadking, Roadster, Mark IV or stiletto.

I'm a Mesa wh0re though...
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Krank Revolution/Krankenstein love or hate, you really wanna try them out
Bogner Uberschall*ball At this price range, you have to make sure the Uberschall is 'that' tone in your head.
Peavey 6505*mediocre cleans, if you can live with that, it's a good amp. However, 1. really noisy; 2. might be too fizzy to you (same with Krank)
Mesa Boogie Mark IV*I only hear good things about this amp. Although I haven't tried it myself, there are a couple of UGers who've had experiences with them
Engl Fireball or another model*Fireball: cleans and br00tals. Brighter than the 6505, and 60W as opposed to 120W. More of an alternative than an upgrade to the 6505. ENGL Blackmores are also worth a look.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Get the 6505 and just send it out for Voodoo Labs and they'll do a bunch of mods to it and make a great amp absolutely amazing.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
how do i get a hold of voodoo labs to send them a 6505+ head if i get one? it's the amp i'm looking into the most because stores around here carry them, where as krank's i have to drive 7 hours to even try them, annd mesa boogie's i've gotta drive 3 hours to try them out. i can also get an awesome deal on a 6505 head. but how do i get a hold of voodoo labs? links? thank you all again for your help and advice, greatly appreciated!
i've also just lately checked out some engl amps. they seem pretty decent, but i'm having a hard time finding stuff out about them. i was looking into the engl screamer, because on the engl web site, it says it has a 4 ohm selectability, but on all the sites that carry them ie. musiciansfriend, music123, it states that they only work with 8 and 16 ohms. anybody know the legit stuff?
An alternative to Voodoo mods is FJA mods.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I've got a 6505 combo, and I personally would prefer the Mesa, but for death/thrash metal the 6505 will suit you perfectly.
Dickless.
thanks man. i've heard that the cleans on the 6505 suck the nuts tho, unless you use some special pedals, and since cleans are a big deal for me, even though i only use them sparingly, i guess i'll have to try before i buy for sure.
Quote by bowen
thanks man. i've heard that the cleans on the 6505 suck the nuts tho, unless you use some special pedals, and since cleans are a big deal for me, even though i only use them sparingly, i guess i'll have to try before i buy for sure.

I use a compression sustainer in front of the cleans and they sound amazing, and it's like a $50 pedal.

As a matter of fact, I'd invest in the Boss CS-3 with any amp for cleans.

EDIT: The amp's natural cleans aren't bad though, just look at Van Halen's clean tone. It's a bit bright, but good.
Dickless.
thanks y'all. i'll definantly make sure to give the 6505 a go. i checked out the guide for the engl screamer, and it only has an 8 and 16 ohm selector, though on engl's site it states that it goes for 4,8,and 16. who knows, they may have made an error, or made a new adjustment, i'll wait for them to get back to me on the info through customer service.
Laney GH/VH series.
Great, versatile amps.
If you don't think they have enough gain, your music is obviously gonna sound like someone ejaculated in your ear.
That, or the Fireball.
I like the fireball a lot, but it only has 8 and 16 ohms. would I be better off just buying a cab that runs at 8 ohm's and sell my entire half-stack I have now? thanks for all your help.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
It's not on the list, but get a Framus Cobra. Pristine cleans and killer gain.

If you don't want that get a 6505 and get it modded by Voodoo labs.

Dudes, it's Voodoo Amps that does the mods, not Voodoo Labs. That being said the 6505 is the 5150 and the 5150 II is the 6505+. Eddy dropped them and he owns the name, not them. They had to be called something. Both sound stellar after being modded, but you never get usable cleans out of a 5150. I use one in my band with a platinum voodoo mod to it, and the changes in gain articulation and frequency distibution is incredible. I never need a pristine clean, I use the volume control on the guitar. For real cleans look into a modded 3 channel dual rec.