Page 1 of 3
Yeah there was a thread b4 which mentioned this

But wondering is there an actual awnser

If the universe is expanding what is it expanding into.. Technicly it has to have somethin to expand into ??

Am i right ?
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
fill it with used condoms and a note that says

"Last night was amazing. I love you.

-Kurt"
good luck with this

this universe thing, big bang, whatever
never made any sense at all to me lol, after all its just speculation and theories
---
i got tired of my signature and i no longer has one

---
you know how we look at a bacteria in a petri dish in comparison with us? And we say, "Wow, thats small." Thats what the infinite vacuum does when it looks at our universe.
Member #3 of the Breaking Benjamin Fanclub PM Electric7 to join.
Hmm, the universe isn't exanding.

It goes on fooorrrrreeevvvvvverrrrrrr.
Awakening The Revenant
Deathcore side project: Malevolent

Quote by shavorules42
start with more poppy music with occasional screams and then work your way into emoish crap like a day to remember and so on.
There is no scientific answer

But there is that theory that we are just a molecule... Or an element or whatever.

Personally, I think we could be Helium, Think about it, North pole is an electron, South pole is an electron, they are at top and bottom to balance it. And well, us the people, are all protons and neutrons. (Wouldn't make sense I know because there's lot's of us) But maybe that's how it works in another universe. Maybe they proved materials and atoms differently than us.
Last edited by AthenasGhost at Jan 26, 2008,
I've never been outside the universe. Same as everbody else.

So the conclusion we can come down to is, we don't know.

Whoda thunk it?
How I wish, how I wish
That the world, that the world
Had just one
THROAT
And my fingers were around it

Literature thread
yeah its basically expanding beyond into an empty vacuum thats even more infinite than our current universe.
My Equipment:

-KE3 Kelly Jackson
-Hyburn Stratocaster
-Marshall G80RCD
-Marshall AVT series 4x12" extension cab.
-Digitech Death Metal Distortion Pedal

ICED EARTH
Quote by metalaxxeman
Yeah there was a thread b4 which mentioned this

But wondering is there an actual awnser

If the universe is expanding what is it expanding into.. Technicly it has to have somethin to expand into ??

Am i right ?

That's assuming that there's a finite end to space.

The universe is pretty much defined by what's in it. If we assume that beyond the universe is empty space, than what's happening is the matter and energy in the universe is occupying more and more of this empty space by travelling outward or expanding.

It's also possible to believe that relativistic effects are just causing the outward velocity of the universe to increase by virtue of decreasing time.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Last edited by Kutanmoogle at Jan 26, 2008,
Quote by LinkManDX
Think of the universe as a balloon that can never pop.

That's how it's been described to me. Except the Big Rip says that it will indeed pop. -_-
Quote by KVX10 KING V
yeah its basically expanding beyond into an empty vacuum thats even more infinite than our current universe.

Where did the vaccum come from ??

see its just all crazy !
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

-Kurt"
Quote by LinkManDX

Or maybe we are Helium molecules or whatever inside a balloon! It's a balloon that someone released into the sky in their own world so no one has caught it and popped it yet lol

I R SMART.
if i told you id have to kill you...........

but seriously i have no clue. but ive been told many times in astronomy that it always expanding
Quote by Kutanmoogle
That's assuming that there's a finite end to space.

The universe is pretty much defined by what's in it. If we assume that beyond the universe is empty space, than what's happening is the matter and energy in the universe is occupying more and more of this empty space by travelling outward or expanding.

It's also possible to believe that relativistic effects are just causing the outward velocity of the universe to increase by virtue of decreasing time.

You know what I don't understand! Why there is a universe and a big space, like where did it all come from!?! And if you believe in "God" then who made him!?! and who made the guy who made god, AHH

Quote by AthenasGhost
You know what I don't understand! Why there is a universe and a big space, like where did it all come from!?! And if you believe in "God" then who made him!?! and who made the guy who made god, AHH

I'M CONFUZZLED!!!

Awakening The Revenant
Deathcore side project: Malevolent

Quote by shavorules42
start with more poppy music with occasional screams and then work your way into emoish crap like a day to remember and so on.
See its just annoying.. cause say if you put a balloon in a close in a jar a fill in with gas.. its expanding in the jar

so universe expands into nothin ?? Dont make sense !

I reckon the catholic church is hiding things from us again !
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

-Kurt"
My science teacher told us last year that there is a new theory out, comparing the universe to a loaf of bread. Our universe is a piece of bread in the entire loaf, a collection of universes. There is a vacuum of nothing between each piece of bread, or universe. Theres some zoomy space wind around all the universes, acting as the plastic that holds the bread... this theory was developed because scientists kept looking farther into space and saw nothing.
And the universe is expanding into nothing.
Quote by magnus_maximus
Anyone know the law of Entropy? That should answer this. Dark Matter and all that.My view is this; imagine a pebble filled with food colouring that pops in the middle of a swimming pool. Then, once we reach the biggest the universe can get, it runs out of energy expanding, and implodes due to the gravitational force caused by superheavy dark matter and whatnot near the centre of the univers, assuming there is one.

dumbest theory I've ever heard. Heisenberg would be ashamed.
Member #3 of the Breaking Benjamin Fanclub PM Electric7 to join.
See what is also pissing me off

Theres never any solid facts
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

-Kurt"
Quote by AthenasGhost

There is an infinite set of universes, with different numbers of space and time axes. It just so happens that we exist in the one with 3 space and 1 time dimensions.

There are other universes with 4,5 maybe even 9000 space dimensions and any number of time dimensions. These just exist, but since they exist on different time axes, they may pop in and out of existence on our single time axis at difficult to predict moments.
Our fallible, finite minds can't understand something as big as the universe.
I'M IN THE FIGHT TO CURE CYSTIC FIBROSIS...MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Quote by JustRooster
I'm a straight man, but I'd put that surfcaster right in my mouth.

Quote by JD2k9
Well, life is like a penis.
Women make it hard.
Also, it's short but seems long when it gets hard.
Holy crap.
My bassist has this theory that everything shrinks, and nothing ever grows, it just shrinks at a slower rate than normal. That would explain it perfectly.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
This thread just made me confused...GOOD JOB.

I read somewhere though that the universe is constantly expanding..into what I have no idea, most likely...nothing
Quote by metalaxxeman
See what is also pissing me off

Theres never any solid facts

Well duh. It wouldn't be such a huge question if there were.
Quote by magnus_maximus
'pparently there are 9-13 dimensions, all at right angles to each other.

Another analogy I heard is; imagine flatland; a completely 2 dimensional universe. Then one day, a 3 dimensional being comes in, and lifts Bob, a flat being, and throws him in the air and he spins and flies around. He couldn't possibly comprehend what has happened to him, as he's only every experienced life in 2 dimensions, and the fact he saw through his flat-mate Jock. Same thing can be applied to us, apparently. We simply have no comprehension of any thing beyond our own 3-dimensional space. As far as we know, there may be no other dimensions.

i have no idea what you just said
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

-Kurt"
Quote by magnus_maximus
'pparently there are 9-13 dimensions, all at right angles to each other.

Another analogy I heard is; imagine flatland; a completely 2 dimensional universe. Then one day, a 3 dimensional being comes in, and lifts Bob, a flat being, and throws him in the air and he spins and flies around. He couldn't possibly comprehend what has happened to him, as he's only every experienced life in 2 dimensions, and the fact he saw through his flat-mate Jock. Same thing can be applied to us, apparently. We simply have no comprehension of any thing beyond our own 3-dimensional space. As far as we know, there may be no other dimensions.

Precisely. Travel across the 3 space dimensions, and ESPECIALLY along the single time axis, if explicable by extra-dimensional transformations, could possibly explain the fundamental laws of physics.

This is sorta off topic, but oh well.
Quote by SOADrox429
Holy crap.
My bassist has this theory that everything shrinks, and nothing ever grows, it just shrinks at a slower rate than normal. That would explain it perfectly.

Organisms grow as they get older. Your friend's theory is stupid. No wonder he's a bassist.

Sorry, any bassists out there...
If there is a God, and current happenings are evidence of his sense of humor, then the universe is probably expanding into the shape of a penis.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
Quote by SkyValley
If there is a God, and current happenings are evidence of his sense of humor, then the universe is probably expanding into the shape of a penis.

We're gonna have to stop God from eating food shaped like dicks.
Quote by SkyValley

If God were a Pit monkey.....
The morning will come

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
I wonder how many heads i've hurt with this thread
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

-Kurt"
I love all the examples people are using in this thread

Honestly...who cares? I thought about it before all the time and the result was an EP for my band. In the end, i just end up confused.
Quote by SOADrox429
If God were a Pit monkey.....

God IS a pit monkey. Although I think he's currently banned for flaming or something.
Quote by magnus_maximus
Zeus banned God for power abuse after he meteorbanhammered the dinosaurs and caused the Ice Age. Don't worry, he gets his power back in 2012

Coincidentally enough, that's the year the Mayans predicted the world would end.
The morning will come

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Quote by AthenasGhost

The idea of God would be that he his beyond space and time, so thinking of something like "when was he created" or "how was he created" is sort of meaningless; it doesn't really apply. Sounds like the easy way out but that's what it is.
I have thought the same exact thing, even the physics teacher couldnt give me an answer i could be satisfied with.
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Crit plz! Wh ore of Gommorah
Quote by LinkManDX

the balloon, being the universe, is expanding into open air/space. What is the equivilent of the air the balloon is expanding in?

Very good question TS. I want answers.
Quote by Lil Macker
I voted 9, cause I would only let my mum give me a handjob...

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Un-Banned! Boy, does it feel great to be back.
Join the Bear Grylls Foundation group!
Quote by magnus_maximus
Enough digression, though.

Universe, in my opinion, is expanding into no particular shape, though it most likely is sherical due to the radial nature at which stuff is dispersed during an explosion.

Blah blah blah, similiar scientific jabber.

It can't be spherical if mass exists, cause that implies a different density. But honestly, I can't be bothered to discuss that stuff now.

Quote by angus is god
I have thought the same exact thing, even the physics teacher couldnt give me an answer i could be satisfied with.

That's like asking a music teacher "What is the best note" and not getting a good answer. This is the kinda thing that takes alot of deep thinking and verifiable experimental data. Don't worry, even the real physicists aren't sure yet.
Page 1 of 3