I want a decent guitar thats not too expensive. I mostly play heavy/melodic metal.

I have been looking into ibanez because I'd like a thinner neck than my BCRich.
I heard ibanez would be the way to go(please correct me if im wrong).

So anyway im looking at an ibanez, I belive an RG series. It has EMGs and i heard they were also good.

Price is $245 Here are the specs,

* Basswood body
* 3-piece maple neck
* Wizard II neck profile
* 25-1/2" scale
* 24 jumbo frets
* Rosewood fingerboard
* Dot inlays
* Fixed bridge
* Dual EMG-designed passive humbuckers----------On a side note, whats passive?
* Tone and volume controls
* 3-way pickup switch

Comes with hard case.

Any suggestions such as another brand, or diff pups would be appriciated. Thank You
I like ibanez I think for Metal it is one of the best guitars you can get one of my friends just bought an ibanez and he likes to play metal.
I know now what I knew then, but I didn't know then what I know now
Get a Dean.
Quote by Finnepinne
It was probably a black man who talked. "oh don' go in there gurl, he behind the doh~"

And then got shot.
sounds like a rg321, except the passive emg's bit.

passive pickups don't require batteries, dat's all i know about them, oh and they usually have lower output than actives.

and dont get a guitar with passive emg's, if u want emg's get the actives.

is this from a shop or ebay or a friend or sumthing?
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Schecter maybe?
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
thats quite a bit of guitar for not a lot of $$$

do it up
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Only issue is if your doing alot of palm muting you will hate Ibanez's fixed tail piece. It will cut you up pretty bad due to the little bitty screws that adjust the saddles. Other then that it might be a nice guitar. Just make sure its setup and the neck is shimmed and your good to go.
That sounds like an rg2ex1. Ive got one, and it cranks pretty well. The passives arent too great but you'll get past if for that money.
Thank for all the replies,

I will look at some deans tomorrow at guitar center, i need a new bass amp anyway

I cant find a Schecter i like in my price range, wich is no more than 400 preferably less(i have really only been looking on ebay) ill check out gc. Any suggestions?

Quote by IbanezPsycho
Only issue is if your doing alot of palm muting you will hate Ibanez's fixed tail piece. It will cut you up pretty bad due to the little bitty screws that adjust the saddles. Other then that it might be a nice guitar.

Ill play a few at gc to see if this will be a problem.

I dont think i will like the passive emg so ill pass on this guitar.

Any suggestions on wich models to look at? I like Ibanez, jackson, and bcrich.
Last edited by StonieER at Jan 27, 2008,
You should look at Craigslist as well. You can find some pretty cheap used guitars there.

The EMG HZ's suck. I haven't played them myself, but everyone seems to agree that compared to real EMG's, active (battery powered) ones, they suck ass. If you do buy this, be prepared to put in new pickups.

Cheap Deans seem to suck as well. This time I'm speaking from personal experience as well as others' opinions. Dean's begin to get better as they get more expensive ($1100+ range I think).

Jackson is also known for it's thin necks. Might wanna look at a few of those. If you can save up a bit more, you could get an RR3, very good for metal apparently. I've played a few, and thought they were nice. There's always a few on eBay. New ones go for about $700, but I see used ones right now for $200-$400. Just search for "RR3". Some of their other guitars might work as well, but someone else will have to fill you in on that.

BUT BEFORE YOU BUY A NEW GUITAR, TELL US WHAT AMP YOU CURRENTLY HAVE.

No guitar will be great with a craptastic amp.
Quote by ketiov
You should look at Craigslist as well. You can find some pretty cheap used guitars there.

The EMG HZ's suck. I haven't played them myself, but everyone seems to agree that compared to real EMG's, active (battery powered) ones, they suck ass. If you do buy this, be prepared to put in new pickups.

Cheap Deans seem to suck as well. This time I'm speaking from personal experience as well as others' opinions. Dean's begin to get better as they get more expensive ($1100+ range I think).

Jackson is also known for it's thin necks. Might wanna look at a few of those. If you can save up a bit more, you could get an RR3, very good for metal apparently. I've played a few, and thought they were nice. There's always a few on eBay. New ones go for about $700, but I see used ones right now for $200-$400. Just search for "RR3". Some of their other guitars might work as well, but someone else will have to fill you in on that.

BUT BEFORE YOU BUY A NEW GUITAR, TELL US WHAT AMP YOU CURRENTLY HAVE.

No guitar will be great with a craptastic amp.

Thanks for the reply,
Marshal MG series i know evereyone hates them...I dont know why people do,I dont. Im not looking to upgrade my amp unless I must.
Im looking for RR3 on ebay right now.

Edit:
I just looked.Im not too into V's, although some are nice. And would prefer a fixed bridge.

All i saw had wammys, I had a no name guitar with one once. I thought it would be really cool, But i didnt use it much.
Quote by StonieER
Marshal MG series i know evereyone hates them...I dont know why people do,I dont. Im not looking to upgrade my amp unless I must.

Use the search function to find out why they're not too great.
I can tell you now, that whilst buying a new guitar might be nice, your tone will remain....pretty poor tbh and it really will be a waste of a nice guitar.
Are you gigging? If not, I wouldn't bother changing (not AMAZINGLY upgrading) your amp to a slightly better practice amp, but if you are, the MG aint going to cut the mustard.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
Use the search function to find out why they're not too great.
I can tell you now, that whilst buying a new guitar might be nice, your tone will remain....pretty poor tbh and it really will be a waste of a nice guitar.
Are you gigging? If not, I wouldn't bother changing (not AMAZINGLY upgrading) your amp to a slightly better practice amp, but if you are, the MG aint going to cut the mustard.

Whats wrong with the tone? No i dont gig, just practice a little with friends.
Everybody seems to assume that their idea of good tone is everyone elses idea of good tone. If he likes the sound of his MG, he likes the sound of his MG.
Quote by StonieER
Whats wrong with the tone?

That little tidbit right there proves my point so many times I've already won every single argument I'm ever going to have.
If someone has to tell him whats wrong with it, he obviously doesn't need a new amp. Sooner or later he's going to "wise-up" and want a different amp, but for now, its FINE.
Last edited by Fatso Forgottso at Jan 27, 2008,
That sounds like a good deal to me. I'd defiantly go for it.
Quote by ToffeeandApples
You my friend, put the pwn in pwnt.

Hell Yeah
I dig Ibanez, so I'd go for that if I where you.
Quote by Maj. Tom
Your skin will grow tough and you will soon have a mighty pimp hand to smite stupid bitches with.

Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX2 with EMG 81 and EMG 60a
Crate G-40 or something
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.
hmmm... no... Ibanez? comon dude. You have 400, get a Standard Strat, so much more versatile, and they sound great. I have an Ibanez Rg, and I barely play it anymore, I basically spent alot of money on nothing... Its a much better idea to get a Fender Strat. Better tone, build quality, and they just play alot better (RG FRET ENDS OWWCH).
Quote by Highwaytohell
hmmm... no... Ibanez? comon dude. You have 400, get a Standard Strat, so much more versatile, and they sound great. I have an Ibanez Rg, and I barely play it anymore, I basically spent alot of money on nothing... Its a much better idea to get a Fender Strat. Better tone, build quality, and they just play alot better (RG FRET ENDS OWWCH).

I know people love them and alot own one, usually= good. But i need 24 frets. I have only seen strats w/21

What are RG fret ends?

Im not too into the "metal looking" guitars(however i love the look of the BCRich Stealth). As you stated a better build quality is important, and thats what i want. Besides a strat body style for metal is bad*ss. So if they made with 24frets id jump on it.And have my way with it....
I just want to thank you all again. All this help is appriciated.

I am going to forget getting a new guitar, and upgrade my amp.

It was mentioned earlier MGs suck... So i researched them and belive the reason i cant achive the tone i want is because of my MG. I guess ill be spending a little more $$ than i was expecting.

I apologize for wasting anyones time.
Last edited by StonieER at Jan 28, 2008,