Well, this is kinda stupid but anyway:

I was wondering about this a lot and I just wanted to know if its more common to use rhythm for riffs or treble for riffs. I always use treble for my solos and leads and also for my riffs because I don't like the bassy sound the neck pickup gives, or when they are put together. But my Uncle told me, "Start using the rhythm/neck pickup instead of the treble/bridge pickup. Only use the treble for leads." He stated that EVERY guitarist does it but I've noticed some that don't, like Angus Young from AC/DC. He uses the Treble mostly, but for songs like Hells Bells he uses Rhythm. Sorry if it confuses you lol. I'm just pondering this. And does anyone know what bands and guitarists use for riffs?

Thank you for your time
u don't need to use all the pickups...

but i like to use all 5 of mine. and use the tone/volume controls a lot. i don't get bored from using 5 pickup configs. instead of just using one.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by wanderingguitar
Your Uncle is asinine. Is he EVERY GUITARIST? No. That's not even remotely correct to begin with.

gj answering the question
signed,
your favorite poster
Quote by wanderingguitar
Your Uncle is asinine. Is he EVERY GUITARIST? No. That's not even remotely correct to begin with.

He's been playing for about 25 years now. He's the type who is very good at making you believe and wants you to go by HIS ways and not yours.
neck/mids for everything but switch to neck if I need more sensitive playing, and bridge for rhythm and distorted stuff.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
i first masterbated when i was... 10, i think
or was it 9...
yeah 10
and i'm catholic, don't tell the pope, i'll be holy watered
I mostly use the bridge pickup because i play using a lot of pinch harmonics, but i'll use the neck pick up when i play something with an echo or delay
neck gives you a nice smooth sound for leads. bridge is trebly-er and gets a good crunchy sound for riffs. i wouldn't use neck for riffs, but whether you use bridge or neck for leads is your own preference.
I do a lot of pinch harmonics and stuff too, so I guess I'll stick with Bridge. I like to go to neck once in a while though.
Depends on the track. Generally though, I use the neck for solos, fills and so on, bridge for main riffs/rhythm/everything else. It really does depend on the song, style, guitar, and so on though.

It annoys me endlessly that Les Pauls mark the neck pickup as 'rhythm' when that's the one thing I would never use a neck pickup for...
Its a guitar there is no "right" or wrong way to play it. Tone knobs can make a guitar do all sorts of things. There are alot of people in the world like your uncle its best to just ignore them.
My switch is about 95% of the time on the bridge pickup. I really dont think the neck pickup sounds good for leads or solos, its too bassy and too thick to give it a good flowing sound. Maybe thats just the case for the leads i play, along with personal preference. I do use the neck pickup for sweeping though, just because the note's come out better with it, and I dont think that sweeping sounds good with loads of treble.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
I Wanna know what you meant
I use treble for EVERYTHING. When I want to achieve that nice les paul / stratocaster solo light gain tone, i switch to neck pickup and put the pcickup volume to about half. The only situation I've used both is when I play ac/dc, and that uses alot of knob tweakin'
Use them for whatever you want, the pickup selector ring isn't an instruction, it's just a label. Remember, the Les Paul is 50 odd years old, music has changed an awful lot since then. Les Paul himself had jazz leanings and at that time the warmer, bassier tones of the neck pickup would have sounded similar to the tone of a traditional acoustic archtop that you'd have found in big bands. The brighter, treblier tone of the bridge pickup would have been perfect for cutting through for solos. Also Les Paul practically invented multi-track recording so would have made lots of use of the two contrasting tones.

Now, it doesn't matter - if you want a warmer, smoother sound then use the neck pickup, if you want a tighter, brighter sound then use the bridge.

Quote by LastCaress88
My switch is about 95% of the time on the bridge pickup. I really dont think the neck pickup sounds good for leads or solos, its too bassy and too thick to give it a good flowing sound. Maybe thats just the case for the leads i play, along with personal preference. I do use the neck pickup for sweeping though, just because the note's come out better with it, and I dont think that sweeping sounds good with loads of treble.

If you don't think neck pickups give a good flowing sound for leads then you should listen to Slash. Or Gary Moore. Or Dave Murray...although for faster, highly distorted stuff I'll grant you that things can get messy unless your technique is razor sharp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jan 27, 2008,
It depends on the guitar, really.

Most of the time, I'll use a bridge pickup for riffs and solos, as if offers a tight, crunchy sound.

However, for cleans, I always use the neck pickup, as the bridge one may sound too thin.

Also, if the neck pickup is a single coil, I'll use that for distorted rhythm. They're brighter than humbuckers, and offer a surprisingly thick sound with plenty of punch.
It depends what pick-ups are in the guitar, what effects you are running, what kind of music you are playing, and what kind of amp and settings you are using.
Quote by steven seagull
Use them for whatever you want, the pickup selector ring isn't an instruction, it's just a label. Remember, the Les Paul is 50 odd years old, music has changed an awful lot since then. Les Paul himself had jazz leanings and at that time the warmer, bassier tones of the neck pickup would have sounded similar to the tone of a traditional acoustic archtop that you'd have found in big bands. The brighter, treblier tone of the bridge pickup would have been perfect for cutting through for solos. Also Les Paul practically invented multi-track recording so would have made lots of use of the two contrasting tones.

Now, it doesn't matter - if you want a warmer, smoother sound then use the neck pickup, if you want a tighter, brighter sound then use the bridge.

If you don't think neck pickups give a good flowing sound for leads then you should listen to Slash. Or Gary Moore. Or Dave Murray...although for faster, highly distorted stuff I'll grant you that things can get messy unless your technique is razor sharp.

i might be wrong but i thought slash used the bridge pickup for leads
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
honestly, i only ever use the neck pickup on all of my guitars, except on one where i rewired two single coils to be in series. i just don't like the sound of bridge pickups.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
For me its 50-50 between Bridge and Neck PU of my LP, both for soloing and rhythm. I like having the choice, and the good thing about the neck PU in my LP is that it doesn't sound dull and bassy at all, its quite clear and bright IMO so is perfect for solos as well
Quote by rhakiath
neck/mids for everything but switch to neck if I need more sensitive playing, and bridge for rhythm and distorted stuff.

Isn't that basically the purpose of the pickups? They don't refer to the bridge as rhythm for nothing.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by stradivari310
Isn't that basically the purpose of the pickups? They don't refer to the bridge as rhythm for nothing.

Neck = Rhythm.
Bridge = Treble.

i play a strat copy and use mostly the mid/bridge but for heavier stuff (powerchords and palm-muting) i use neck or neck/mid
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Neck = Rhythm.
Bridge = Treble.

whaaaat?
Either way, I use my two pickups with as a big of a contrast as possible. I have the tone all the way up on my bridge and all the way down on my neck and it allows me to have two completely different sounds.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
This is a pretty dumb debate - if you have the option of using either pickup and want to, then use it by all means, there isn't a law which forbids you to do so - otherwise you will be as imaginative in your tone as *cough*tomdelonge* and his *cough*vomitcolouredsinglePU'dES335*cough*
Quote by ECwomantoneman
This is a pretty dumb debate - if you have the option of using either pickup and want to, then use it by all means, there isn't a law which forbids you to do so - otherwise you will be as imaginative in your tone as *cough*tomdelonge* and his *cough*vomitcolouredsinglePU'dES335*cough*

i think it looks nice
bridge pups are okay, imo
when i need to do some hard rockish stuff, depending on the mood of the song, ill use either the neck or the bridge.
for bright really bitey stuff, like.. "out ta get me", id go fr the bridge.
for really sweet mellow sounding stuff, ill go for the neck.
Your uncle's an idiot...
I actually do the reverse of that some times.

Almost all the time for rhythm I'm using the bridge, though.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Sep 6, 2009,
i always use the treble pickup for metal riffs and stuff.

For leads and cleans, it varies.
I always use neck for clean/leads and bridge for rhythm. It justs sounds better to my ear that way.
ಠ_ಠ