On my gibson sg I seem to have a backwards bow. Also before you say anything I have set the action and everything else but I still don't have it set how I want it. According to directions with a capo on the 1st fret and fretting the last fret on my guitar I should have a credit card's thickness of space between the fret and neck (12th fret). It is almost literally resting on the fret. A piece of paper sits snug in there. Which way do I turn the truss rod. (I know you only turn it a very little.)
i did this earlier today coz i had the same problem.
what i did was turn the truss rod 1/4 turn counter clockwise.
u need to wait a while for it to make a difference then u might need to give it another turn.
http://www.squierguitars.com/pdf/manuals/Squier_Acoustic_Electric_Guitar_Bass_Setup_Warranty_Sheet.pdf

Make sure you loosen your strings a little (just so they're a bit floppy, no need to remove them) before making adjust ments.

Like you said, make very small adjustments. What I do is after each adjustment, I'll retune, then check the neck relief again. If it still needs adjusting, I'll loosen the strings, make my adjustment, retune, then check again. Repeating till it looks ok.

I also make it just a LITTLE bit less then a "perfect" adjustment. Meaning that if I need to loosen the neck a little, I'll loosen it up to the point of where it's just a hair away from where I want it to be. Reasoning is because the wood doesn't settle immediately after each adjustment, and may actually move a little more a few hours to a day after you've made your adjustment. So I basically give it a little "room to move," if you understand my meaning.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
after you make that small adjustment, you really need to let the neck sit at least a couple hours, preferably over night.
Ok thanks a lot ill try it. Really needed the turn counter clockwise information. Just to be sure though their should be a credit cards width of space between the 12th fret right?
Yup. May be more or less depending on the size strings you have. But about the width of a credit card for .09 and .10s.
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Never mind I experimented and did a full setup. It's like the same but I guess the actions a little bit lower at higher frets without buzz.
The credit card thing is just a rough idea of what most people find ideal. Kind of like a base measurement. If you can get it at a card with or less with no buzz, then great! If it's significantly more than a card's width, and you're still getting lots of buzz, then that's a good indicator that there may be something else wrong that a truss rod and/or bridge adjustment won't take care of alone. Could be things like a fret that's popped up a little, to needing the frets filed and leveled, or in the worst case, a warped neck.
Yeah I just changed crap till it felt good, I'm happy with it but next guitar lesson I'll just ask my teacher if there's anything wrong with the set-up. I will see how I did. -___-