Page 1 of 2
What do you think the most overated guitar or guitar company is?

A few hours later...

My Gear:

AMP: Line 6 Spider III 30 Watt
Guitars: Gibson SG Classic (with P-90 Pickups), Martin DCX1E Acoustic-Electric, and Rouge Viola Bass
all low cost copies of american iconic guitars that people proclaim as being better just cuz they dont have the bones to buy the real thing.

like paul and ace say man only a gibson is good enough. when earl slick or erik turner is playing a import copy ill buy it
Deans, i cant stand them, and i have the feeling that most ppl that buy them do so just because their hero played one.
deans rule first off, secondly the most overated guitar is the fender strat, they are overpriced pieces of **** that have no range
i go with schecter or dean every time
I'm gonna get e-raped for this but... Gibson Les Pauls are overrated.
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
Quote by nt1440
Deans, i cant stand them, and i have the feeling that most ppl that buy them do so just because their hero played one.

+a million
deans are awful

gibson are overrated aswell.
the only reason i'd consider getting one is because they are the ultimate iconic guitar.
i'm talking about a les paul.

jacksons are way overrated also.

IMO
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Ovation for acoustics I second that....people just think they're awesome. Every Emo bar band wannabe buys an LX or elite right away and thinks they can plug in and go. They don't have the same sound as a full bodied acoustic with wooden back and sides.

When I was out West visiting my fiancee's familiy, almost all the people she went to high school with who play have Ovations and it boggled my mind since for the money they could have gotten a Seagull Performer/QII or Norman ST68 or something much nicer.

for Electrics, I'd have to say the "Gibson" name definately makes snobs out of ordinary uninitiated citizens. We're not a Gibson dealer at my store (to keep their prices high they only allow a certain # of dealers per/population or distance between stores...the more you know ), and so people come in "Where are your Gibsons?" "Unfortunately we're not a Gibson dealer BUT....." (they're already headed for the door and if it's father/son looking for first guitar we always hear this....) "This store isn't selling quality guitars, we'll go downtown tomorrow."

This despite us selling Fender/Jackson/Gretsch/Schecter/Godin/Hagstrom/Washburn/BC Rich/Yamaha/Guild/Martin/Seagull/Norman/Simon&Patrick/Alvarez Yairi/Takamine....

Some people just don't want to listen
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
thats right, everyone should just state the guitar, and provide absolutly no support for their opinion

"LIKE ZOMG!!!eLeVEN!!!! __________ ROCKS SO M"UCH!!!"
i think SG's are a bit overrated *hides behind flame shield*
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
Quote by nt1440

i kinda feel the same way as well... everyone talks about how great they are but i really just don't see it... they are only good for 1 kind of music which i think a great guitar has to be well rounded and i HATE the neck on them... sorry dean fanboys

A few hours later...

My Gear:

AMP: Line 6 Spider III 30 Watt
Guitars: Gibson SG Classic (with P-90 Pickups), Martin DCX1E Acoustic-Electric, and Rouge Viola Bass
Quote by Res_Shred_Head
deans rule first off, secondly the most overated guitar is the fender strat, they are overpriced pieces of **** that have no range

Reverse that. Fenders kick ass. Deans just take up space. Nobody even uses them. All the great guitarists in our world use Fenders (exaggeration).
i dont really believe in the more-ppl-play-them-so-theyre-better philosophy

and while i do like gibsons, they deffinatly are over rated, but something about them makes it feel like your playing a part of history.

that being said, i dont really like the feel of my (epi) les paul anymore, but love the balance and feel of the Explorer
Quote by mrwaffles
Reverse that. Fenders kick ass. Deans just take up space. Nobody even uses them. All the great guitarists in our world use Fenders (exaggeration).

I'm not defending Dean, and I'm not bashing Fender, but I'd like to add many people play Deans. Aside from the obvious (Dimebag, Trivium, MAB), a lot pf talented artists use them. Dave Mustaine, Rusty Cooley, Michael/Rudolf Schenker, and many more...
Be cool.
Quote by Res_Shred_Head

Uh, you're joking right? Please say you're a troll or something?
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
The most overrated guitar is 6 string guitar.
That, and 21 frets. Why would you get a guitar with 6 strings, if you can have guitars with more than 12 strings.
why would you have a guitar with 21 frets if you can have one with 36?!
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Non MIJ Ibanez, ESP LTD, and Schecter. You heard me. They all thrive on cramming hardware and trim on guitars that are built in Korea and Indonesia. The long term quality isn't quite there, and most of them use crappy quality wood.
Deans and Les pauls

Deans milk the hell out of dimebag
and just because someone has a les paul doesn't mean they're the best EVer. (Although I did try a les paul classic today...needless to say I fell in love with it. <3)
I don't even shred
Quote by FRDesign
Gibson, especially in current times.

hell yea dude, i picked up a les paul (musta been goth cuz it was all black)

honestly the worst les paul-esque guitar ive played, the neck was patchy (sticky spots)

the frets stuck about 1mm over the edge of the neck and one actually cut me, and there were dead spots all over.

i really hope it was a friday afternoon job, and the QC guy was drunk at the time, completely unacceptable for over a grand
Quote by mrwaffles

amen to that, Strats rock

I think that signature guitars are overrated, especially the ibanez ones like the jem. I mean come on, take an RG25503gk, swap the pups, and you have a different coloured jem for less than half the price. duh

^^unless of course you have the money to blow.....
Quote by kool98769
The most overrated guitar is 6 string guitar.
That, and 21 frets. Why would you get a guitar with 6 strings, if you can have guitars with more than 12 strings.
why would you have a guitar with 21 frets if you can have one with 36?!

I think you'd like this guy here, then.

Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by thedude051
I'm not defending Dean, and I'm not bashing Fender, but I'd like to add many people play Deans. Aside from the obvious (Dimebag, Trivium, MAB), a lot pf talented artists use them. Dave Mustaine, Rusty Cooley, Michael/Rudolf Schenker, and many more...

You got me there.
Ibanez. Any model, though especially the JEMs. Horrible, horrible guitars, though everyone has a hard-on for them. Everything Ibanez does, ESP and Kramer do far, far better.

Gibson's semi-hollowbodies too. Epiphone have always been better at making archtops than Gibson (hell, that's why Gibson bought them out in the first place), I don't know why Gibson even bother making their own. There's a reason why the most expensive archtops are Epiphones...

Agile LP copies and Michael Kelly Patriots are also hideously overrated. They're the worst LP copies I've ever come across, and yet the top end ones cost almost as much (sometimes even more than) a Gibson LP or Epiphone Elitist. It's completely retarded.
Quote by Wulver
I think you'd like this guy here, then.

You, sir just made my night.

Glad that you caught drift of my sarcasm.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
deans are good but there wayyyyyy overrated and the the price to get an american made one is ****
Gibson les paul they are overated like they sell good lp's for 5k! i would rather buy a awesome fender VG for 3k

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

hmmm... where to start.... Gibson's (minus the Firebird:P), Fender, Dean (never played one I liked) and most Ibanez (i don't see how 90% of these forums like the RG, it's horrible! (IMO)). opinion threads are fun lol.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Quote by nt1440

so true. profiting off the death of a good guitarist and brainwashing teens into thinking dean is the pwnage for metal. naughty.
Mine have already been said, but I'll say em' to add to it:

Ovation and Gibson. Especially Gibson, they need to lower their rediculous prices.

Don't even get me started on Dean. I wouldn't say they're overrated though. 90% of guitarists have very low opinions of them.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Quote by FRDesign
Gibson, especially in current times.

You're right, Les Pauls, ES-335, and all the acoustics didnt build music where it is today. They did
Quote by XianXiuHong
This guitar, it's so over-used and people say it's the best.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
You are sooooooooooooo AWESOME!!!

Also les pauls are overrated, especially the newer ones, tey got fret buzz an dead spots evriwere, the older ones are alright tho
Page 1 of 2