Get rid of it - go with single coil-sized humbuckers or "noiseless" pickups.

Quiet it down - shield and properly ground your Strat.
Hi, I'm Peter
vintage noiseless pickups kick the crap out of american series and most others, but try a noise gate, grounding and try removing offending items from your playing space that cause the hum.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
i first masterbated when i was... 10, i think
or was it 9...
yeah 10
and i'm catholic, don't tell the pope, i'll be holy watered
if you play that style of music you should welcome that hum. trust me its just something to work with, been playing with it for years but it does kind of add something to your shows.
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
It was explained to me sometimes it is brought on by neck/body shifting due to humidity/temp changes. So after a while whatever you are having problems with might go back to normal.
Quote by Matt Chavie
It was explained to me sometimes it is brought on by neck/body shifting due to humidity/temp changes. So after a while whatever you are having problems with might go back to normal.

No.
if you play that style of music you should welcome that hum. trust me its just something to work with, been playing with it for years but it does kind of add something to your shows.

I'd love to hear this theory. What could extraneous electromagnetic interference do to "add" to a show?
Hi, I'm Peter
the noise adds presence, intimacy and nostalgia. it feels like a live show and not a studio.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
or was it 9...
yeah 10
Quote by Matt Chavie

o.O

like the dudes above said, get a gate or noiseless pups

isp decimator would be the way to go though imo
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
humbuckers are not an option here, as they have different tone. noiseless single coils or noise gate is the best quick solution, better to get shielding though.

also try using two pickups at once rather than 1, that helps me.

I am a strat owner myself, And I love the vintage noiseless (or hot noiseless pickups if you prefer) that came in my strat. they have balanced, classic strat tone with no noise, but I still get it from my amp and connectors, etc. don't go nuts, just try to mostly get rid of it since there is no way to 100% eliminate it.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

Quote by Lil Macker
or was it 9...
yeah 10
Last edited by rhakiath at Jan 27, 2008,
i kinda agree about the 60 cycle hum 'adding' something. i once heard someone over at the guitargeek forums talking about how they spent ages looking for the right pickups for their tele, going through loads of them looking to get the right sound without the hum. they tried pretty much every noiseless pickup out there, but they all felt like something was missing. in the end, he realised that what was missing was that 60 cycle hum. and it all ended happily ever after and he just played pickups that sounded nice and didn't worry about the hum.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
i kinda agree about the 60 cycle hum 'adding' something. i once heard someone over at the guitargeek forums talking about how they spent ages looking for the right pickups for their tele, going through loads of them looking to get the right sound without the hum. they tried pretty much every noiseless pickup out there, but they all felt like something was missing. in the end, he realised that what was missing was that 60 cycle hum.

It's not that noiseless pickups sound worse because they lack hum, it's because they aren't true singlecoils, and thus don't sound like it.

Last edited by mr_hankey at Jan 27, 2008,
Quote by mr_hankey

It's not that noiseless pickups sound worse because they lack hum, it's because they aren't true singlecoils, and thus don't sound like it.

i think you're missing the point. of course noiseless pickups don't sound like true single coils because they aren't, but besides that point, the 60 cycle hum is part of the appeal, or can be. noiseless pickups have a few things missing, and part of that is the hum. its perfectly reasonable that that hum is a part of the appeal. its one of those things that you think you don't like but when it goes you often miss it.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Last edited by Gurgle!Argh! at Jan 27, 2008,
Can't agree with you. Besides, if your setup is too noisy from interference, it can sap your tone. If I'm in my room playing and I'm not getting any hum, I don't go sit next to my computer or find a bad outlet just to increase it
Hi, I'm Peter
threadstarter, just try to shield your pickup cavity... which is basically covering the underside of the pickguard and the inside of the cavity with aluminum foil. this is the cheapest a (and least tone affecting) way to get rid of hum.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
i think you're missing the point. of course noiseless pickups don't sound like true single coils because they aren't, but besides that point, the 60 cycle hum is part of the appeal, or can be. noiseless pickups have a few things missing, and part of that is the hum. its perfectly reasonable that that hum is a part of the appeal. its one of those things that you think you don't like but when it goes you often miss it.

You don't hear the hum while you're playing anyway, so how can it add anything to the tone?

I've shielded all my (singlecoil) guitars, which has significantly silenced the hum. They don't sound better or worse than before, just quieter. If your theory was correct, they should now sound different (not as good).
this is what I did:
I attached my strat's RWRP middle pickup onto the pickguard, so it wasn't picking up vibrations, and I just have my selector on the 2nd setting (neck and middle). I have never cared for the bridge or middle pickups of a strat, so I just sacrificed my middle pickup for reduced hum. It still gives you hum, just much less, so it still has all the single coil tone, but with less hum. It's really nice when you're someplace with alot of lights or things that cause hum, but when you're in a place where there's not, just switch on just the neck pickup.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator