Hi, I've recently started to play the electric guitar and I've been playing for a little over a month now. I learned a couple of easy songs and riffs here and there through tabs, but I think I should learn some music theory.

Do you guys think I should start learning music theory, or should I just keep playing random riffs to practice. If i practice music theory, do you guys have any suggestions for books, websites, or should I just find a tutor?
yes learn a little, dont overwhelm yourself. i would say take a basic music course at college, helped me a little but did not overwhelm me. here is an argument. jimmy page knew music theory, stevie ray vaughan didnt know any music theory. you be the judge
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
chords and scales and such are a small part of theory so technically you are already learning it. you should definitely get a book or a teacher and continue to expand your knowledge of theory. it is really helpful for opening the box and enhancing your musical ability. teachers are a bit more helpful than a book imo, but then again you should try both and see which one works better for you.
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
^^ I'm still in high school right now, but my hs does offer a guitar class. Although, one of my friend tells me that all they teach you is how to read music sheets. Is that helpful?
sight reading is pretty useful

it applies to more than just guitar as well

do it up
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Also in guitar class you will get experience playing with other people.
sigh...
Quote by enceps
Also in guitar class you will get experience playing with other people.

^^ Oh yeah, I forgot I could do that in the class. I think I might take the class now. But, do you guys have any recommendations for videos or books to learn music theory on? I really want to learn how to do improvisation.
Check out the sticked threads in the Musician Talk forum.

The first step is to learn all of the notes on the fretboard, and from there, learn all you can about the Major Scale.

And for God's sake, don't listen to anybody who tells you not to learn music theory for any reason. Ever.
Quote by thejester
yes learn a little, dont overwhelm yourself. i would say take a basic music course at college, helped me a little but did not overwhelm me. here is an argument. jimmy page knew music theory, stevie ray vaughan didnt know any music theory. you be the judge

That's not a debatable topic. There is no justification for not learning theory if the ability to learn it is accessible to you. It can't hurt you to learn it in any way, so there's no reason to deny it if the means are available :P Every guitarist knows theory. They may not be an expert but to say something like SRV knows zero music theory is kind of absurd :P Even knowing a scale is theory...and I'm pretty sure he knows a couple of those lol
Quote by CowboyUp
Check out the sticked threads in the Musician Talk forum.

The first step is to learn all of the notes on the fretboard, and from there, learn all you can about the Major Scale.

And for God's sake, don't listen to anybody who tells you not to learn music theory for any reason. Ever.

+10000

Plus you can check out some good lessons on this site too.
ಥ_ಥ
I suggest you get a basic knowledge of, you know, how to read tabs, chords, and notes but don't get too into it yet. MAKE SURE YOU LEARN NOTES. Trust me, it helps you later on, anyone can read tabs, but notes you really have to work at.

Just keep learning songs and developing your knowledge of chords. Keep it up.