okay im pretty new to recording vocals and pretty new to being a lead singer.

when you record vocals how do you do it?

i got a mic and im using garage band as my recording system because i kinda know it and its easy to use.
What do you mean how do you do it....

Like do you mean how do you get the sound from the mic to the computer?

If thats the case either get an audio interface, there are ALOT of threads on that, or just get an adapter and plug your mic into the line in on your mac and set your audio midi settings to recieve input from your built in input and then make an audio track and hit record.
press record and sing bro,

but not to be an ass so heres a better answer...

When recording vocals, a compressor is your best friend. It handles the volumes for you, gives you a nice sound and so much more.

have a POP filter for the mic.

as for the MIC, a nice condenser mic would work good, it picks up everything and gives the whole thing a nice crisp sound.

a super cardioid mic such as the SM57 will take beating and years of gigs but its useless for recording vocals. Well not useless but your better off using a condenser mic instead, but if you cant afford anything else, go with the sm57.

EQ is what you need to master, usually what i do is bring up some highs amd slightly bring up the mids and remove some bass.

If your vocals arent cutting through the mix, try adding some mids and cut the mids from the rest of the music.
Fender CIJ Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Fender MIM Custom Telecaster
Fender MIM Strat
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Boss SD-1
EH Small Clone
Vox Wah
Digitech Digidelay
Last edited by frank694 at Jan 27, 2008,
ok.

so mic pop filter, good compression.

do u guys record little sections like:

sing the verse then stop.

then start go to the chourse and sing it then stop.

or do you guys sing it all the way through?
im not really a singer, but as i understand it:
1) practice beforehand, so you are well acquainted with what your are going to sing, and so your voice is warmed up.
2) rough test take: sing the song all the way through, recorded, and listen to see what u want to fix, focus on, change, etc.
3) 3 more takes: sing the vocals all the way through 3 times, maybe try some changes in parts.
4) edit: take your favorite take of each section from your 3 takes. maybe u liked the verse in the 1st take but the chorus sucked; and the chorus was good in the 3rd take. i wouldn't split up takes within sections tho (like the first half of the chorus from take 1 and the second half from take 2)
5) add effects: basic effects are compression, reverb, and EQ. also sometimes used are delay and chorus.

also:
- sing confidently straight into the mic
- point the mic straight at your mouth
- dont touch the mic while recording (mic stand)
- some singers will take one ear of the headphones off their ear, so they can hear the mix and their own voice.(or you can turn the mix down, but u want to hear the mix well.)
Last edited by flyinguitar at Jan 27, 2008,
Its best to sing a verse, stop, listen to it, lay down some extra tracks behind it to make it sound good...rinse and repeat
Fender CIJ Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Fender MIM Custom Telecaster
Fender MIM Strat
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Boss SD-1
EH Small Clone
Vox Wah
Digitech Digidelay