So um..what's the difference? According to numerous sites, I now have my inotation perfect. But I thought it was the same as action. Will I have to take me strings off to adjust my action?
Gear
Ibanez SR400QM
Squier P-Bass
Fender Rumble 100 2x10
Concertmate-990 Keyboard
BBE Stomp Sonic Maximizer
Squier Stratocaster
Fender 15w Guitar Amp
Action is the height of the strings off of the fretboard. No, you have to leave the strings on to adjust the action or else you won't be able to tell have much you've changed it :P
Action and intonation have little in common besides where the adjustments take place.

On the length of a string, there are certain points, or nodes, where you need to press down to get the right notes. Intonation is basically adjusting the string length so those nodes on the string line up with the frets as good possible. That way, every time you fret a note (especially past the 12th), you'll be sure that the note you're hitting isn't a bit sharp or flat, but the actual note you want to play. Do you know what I mean? Again, you're lining up the spots on the string where the notes are with the frets.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
See, the problems I'm having right now is setting up my bass actually. I have the truss rod to a T what Fender says it should be. But my action is still mms too high and the saddles are almost at their lowest point. The other problem I'm having is that I fixed the intonation at the twelfth fret and it's all gravy. But the twenty-fourth fret is really far off now and all the frets in between aren't right on either. I don't know how to fix it. Any advice?
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
See, the problems I'm having right now is setting up my bass actually. I have the truss rod to a T what Fender says it should be. But my action is still mms too high and the saddles are almost at their lowest point. The other problem I'm having is that I fixed the intonation at the twelfth fret and it's all gravy. But the twenty-fourth fret is really far off now and all the frets in between aren't right on either. I don't know how to fix it. Any advice?

That sound's like the truss rod is seriously off then, as the string is getting stretched different amounts to get fretted. I would hazard a guess at way to much bow. It may be worth getting a professional setup next time you get new strings. Then it is pretty much set up for life provided global warming doesn't decide to mess with out neck
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by jazz_rock_feel

take the neck off, get a thin piece of card that's the width of the neck pocket, fold it in half so that it's still the width of the neck pocket but thicker, place it at the back of the neck pocket and replace the neck, then adjust action intonation and so forth
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
take the neck off, get a thin piece of card that's the width of the neck pocket, fold it in half so that it's still the width of the neck pocket but thicker, place it at the back of the neck pocket and replace the neck, then adjust action intonation and so forth

Personally, I think using a shim should be a last chance option, as it does reduce sustain a bit, due to a less perfect neck joint. I recon a professional setup could sort it out.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Shimming is more for action than intonation anyway, isn't it?

Yes, but it would give you more freedom to adjust the truss rod and action to allow intonation to be sorted.

However, I still stand by mypoint that a pro could get it sorted. They would shim the neck if they found it necessary. If they don't get it right, you can get your money back presumably, and you're no worse off.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
What you must realise is the raising or lowering the action alters the 12th fret intonation, if you lower the action you aren't pressing the strings down as much therefore the 12th fret intonation will be flat, if you raise the action you will sharpen at the 12th fret due to pressing the strings down further.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn