sooooo i just got my mesa and of course nearly 2 months after ive got GAS. so, i was thinking a new guitar since i really only have my dean. i have always liked the firebird body and shape, but have only played the gibson one. what do you guys think of the epiphone firebird? have you tried it?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Firebird-Studio-Guitar?sku=519377

i have also been checking out the schecter C-1 artist series and black jack, and the PRS SE standard. or which ever PRS was like $490.

any input?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
dude, firebirds are sweet.

motley crue and jetboy both used them are they are both in my top 10!

the bass is awesome but the guitar is rockin 2.

That would be teh Thunderbird
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
ESP KH-2
Gibson SG Standard
Marshall JVM210H
Marshall DSL50
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange 4x12 w/ Vintage 30s

Quote by druz15_UG
LPDave wins the internet!!!
i stand corrected well i like blues like johnny winters and he has 1 2.

the firebird has the look of metal and is neck through like a carvin or bc rich so it will work good.
PRS are amazing... you really cant go wrong with one of them
I like your Christ; I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
-Mohandas Gandhi
Epis can have shoddy quality control, make sure you can find one that's good. Otherwise, yeah, get a firebird. They're awesome.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Firebirds are cool, and sound awesome, but you don't get the mini-humbuckers on the epi versions, which makes the real firebird sound.

It was Gibson's answer to the strat. If you've ever played or heard a V or a VII you'd know what I mean. Truly amazing sounding axes. Strat-like bell tone with a little added Gibson snarl. I've never heard what the epi version sounds like but they're probably ok too, but just with a full on humbucker sound.
82 Ibanez artist ar105
94 Fender MIJ 72 tele custom reissue
04 prs se soapbar singlecut
97 Simon & Patrick pro flame maple
05 Art & Lutherie cedar 12
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
thanks for all the input guys. i know you cant go wrong with a PRS, but my other guitarist wants the same one, and its bad enough we have the same amp lol. we dont want to be completely identical. but yea
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
The Epi Firebird sounds roughly like an Epi SG or a Gibson LP; it's not got quite such a dark tone as the Epi LPs, but it's not as light as a Gibson SG, and is certainly quite a way away from sounding like a Gibson Firebird.

They're still nice guitars, but if you want 'the' Firebird tone, the Gibson is really your only viable option. The Epiphone is more for people who want the look but with a more standard, generic humbucker sound.
the firebird has the look of metal and is neck through like a carvin or bc rich so it will work good.

I was under the impression the epiphone birds are set neck with the body carved to look like the gibson, not actually neck through. Never played one before, but I can read just as well as anyone else.

Mini humbuckers have a very bright sound. I like them, but I suspect most folks who like high gain stuff would find them pretty weak.
in this case i am mostly going for the look for the least amount of cash.....without having to sacrifice quality too much. and i dont mind the fact im getting regular humbuckers, in fact i prefer it. i play mostly alternative and metal, so the mini hums would not be ideal for me.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
That's cool. Performing live has a visual component as well as the musical component so that's understandable as long as you don't end up getting something completely different than you expected.
So, you going for the sunburst or the red? Or maybe just put black spraypaint over whatever you get to make it more "metal"?
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
I'm kind of surprised no one has referred you to me yet, considering most forums that have Firebird in the title lead to me:P Owning the Gibson equivilant to that exact guitar (Firebird Studio) and having played that particular model extensively as well, I say I can make a fair assessment. That guitar is set neck for the fool who said neck through, the only neck through's are the Gibson V,VII and I think the II and III are (though they aren't reverse body and look weird). Now for the Epi. If you go for it, it will need a pickup change, I've played 7 different ones, all had terrible pickups. You have to play it before you buy, but that goes for most epi's anyway. They play decently, but you can tell that they are made to be less expensive. In all honesty, if you want full 'buckers, and the Firebird look, get the Gibson Firebird Studio, it's WELL worth the extra grand (a rarity for Gibson nowadays). Thought I'd give my informed input, have fun with the search (I love searching for guitars).
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix