This will be my first electric guitar ever. I would play mostly metal stuff so keep that in mind.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-G400-Electric-Guitar?sku=512590

I know some people hate these guitars but I like the looks. How are the stock pups? I kinda figured when I need to I would just get new pups though I don't have a clue what pups I should get. Any recommendations on that would be nice too.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
dude it is a good choice duh dude look at enslaved and acdc dude keep rocking\,,/
Quote by vamprocker
dude it is a good choice duh dude look at enslaved and acdc dude keep rocking\,,/

dude...
Rhythm Harmony Melody
If it's your first guitar, you shouldn't worry about upgrading ANYTHING on the guitar until you're more experienced and you know more about tones & pickups & such.

I definitely recommend that guitar. AWESOME guitar for a starter, but you want to think about getting yourself an amp too! It sucks to have an electric but not be able to crank it!

Also, make sure you try before you buy if possible! Make sure that you like the way it feels, or else you'll be irritated in the future when playing that guitar.
Last edited by sektor47 at Jan 27, 2008,
That's a decent guitar to start out with. I wouldn't worry too much about getting new pups yet. The next thing on your mind SHOULD be an amp. Pups can make a difference, but considering how much really good pups cost, in comparison to other things that can make a larger difference in your tone (amps and effects pedals for example), the money's best put elsewhere. Since you like playing metal, my best suggestion to start out with would be a Roland Microcube. Great practice amp with a nice amount of different amp models and some nice built in effects to play around with. Also on the plus side is the fact that it can be battery operated and is very portable. It's one of the better, if not best small practice amp for metal, especially for the price.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
it's a good guitar for the money but i've bought my squier over it ( vintage modified fat strat the high end squier strat) suggest you look at that same price
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
high end sqier? dude that is an oxymoron!

thats like saying hi end yugo!

LOL

To the OP white is good cuz if u get sick of it you can put tape on it or make a design.

SG is good. Glen Tipton, Angus and Iomi use them for metal.

If ur into metal and want a good deal look for a brand called series 10 they are not around ne more but were sweet back in the day. plus they made crackle finishes and all the high end stuff for a low cost.

rock on bro.

epiphone is rad cuz its like a gibson so u KNOW thats good
Quote by SenorSmiley
high end sqier? dude that is an oxymoron!

thats like saying hi end yugo!

LOL

To the OP white is good cuz if u get sick of it you can put tape on it or make a design.

SG is good. Glen Tipton, Angus and Iomi use them for metal.

If ur into metal and want a good deal look for a brand called series 10 they are not around ne more but were sweet back in the day. plus they made crackle finishes and all the high end stuff for a low cost.

rock on bro.

epiphone is rad cuz its like a gibson so u KNOW thats good

I'm noticing a trend with you regarding this latest post and other posts. You really, REALLY put a lot of stock into a manufacturer's name. You also do a lot of bandwagon jumping yourself (even though you complain others do the same). I agree, that the guitar the TS is asking about is a decent guitar, but it's far from being because they simply have the Gibson name on it.

If you knew your stuff, some older, vintage Squiers were great guitars, rivaling the quality of some Fenders (non-Squier).

edit: Looks are great and all, but you don't want to sacrifice playability for the sake of looking good. Others above me have mentioned other nice alternatives you might want to try. A couple that I didn't see mentioned yet would be the Schecter Omen 6 or the Schecter 006. I said before that it's not a bad guitar, but you should really try out different guitars in your price range before plunking down your money on one simply because it looks good (or simply because it's made by whomever).
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Last edited by Hakael at Jan 27, 2008,
dude there is no such thing as a vintage squier unless a dealer or ebay type is trying to sell something.

the gibson name means it has the right shape and gives u a level of qc some other twanger may not have.

i suggested series 10 as well but ur probably too inexperienced 2 even know who that company is.

no offense, i know ur young but u gotta keep an open mind
Quote by SenorSmiley
dude there is no such thing as a vintage squier unless a dealer or ebay type is trying to sell something.

the gibson name means it has the right shape and gives u a level of qc some other twanger may not have.

i suggested series 10 as well but ur probably too inexperienced 2 even know who that company is.

no offense, i know ur young but u gotta keep an open mind

There you go with a young thing again. You really don't get it do you? And regarding an open mind, you seem to keep your closed the most. Just because Gibson's name on the stock is definitely not a measure of quality. It's a name. In fact, they're quality as of late has been quite questionable.

If you knew anything about Epiphone, Epiphone is owned by Gibson, but remains it's own seperate entity. They're not MADE by Gibson. They also have a less strict QC than Gibson (but in fact in a few times I've seen better quality instruments with the Epiphone brand than just the original Gibsons).

On your bit about Squiers. That name is older than you think it is (which I'm admittedly questioning at the moment). And some Squiers, like I've said before, rivaled their Fender counterparts in playability and quality. Instead of blindly putting stock in a manufacturer brand or model simply because they have a big name on it, you should actually do some research in the matter, try equipment out, and open your mind yourself.
This guitar is ****ing amazing, I'm going to buy one after I get my MIM Strat and then mod it.
dude squier is an old name but the guitars came out in the 80's. I remember going to NAMM when i worked at GC.

thats not a long time ago unless ur 14. i think it was about 82 when they came out cuz i have pics of that and namm and i have a quiet riot button on.

it was low cost and the quality is there cuz its fender just like epi is gibson.
We're approaching an age were some early Squires could in fact be termed vintage. We're talking the earliest ones.

And when are you going to get it out of your head that the name doesn't make the guitar?

I think I made a mistake telling you that some Squiers were actually really good guitars because now you're going to get it in your head that Affinities are great because of the Fender name.
nah. squier may be old now but its just an old beginner guitar. if u want to believe the marketing hype thats cool and ur right but i worked at GC and sold about 1000 of those twangers easy and they were not that special back then. sure they were oetk but nothing special.

i dont see how time made them better
Yes there is a vintage squier you n00b.

Not a bad guitar just like mentioned above get a amp to go with it.

UG Mods really have no sense of humour.....

I'm not going to bother anymore. It's a waste of my time. The TS should have heard everything he needs to hear by this point really. His decision.
Ugh. SenorSmiley strikes again.

You could always look for a similarly priced Washburn. The Epiphone is a good choice, but never stick exclusively to bigger brand names.
Japanese Fender "JV" Squier made in the early 80s... highly regarded as being just as good as MIA low/mid range Fenders and better than any of the MIM. Quite hard to find now though. Robin Trower played one for a couple of years after his vintage collection was stolen and remarked in an interview once that it was as good as any Fender you could pick off the rack in stores.