Okay so this is my very first guitar amp. I want to get something that will last me for a long time. I know tubes sound better but solid-stats are so much cheaper. Should I just go with a $300-400 Solidstate amp or spend an assload for a good tube amp? I need my amp to be loud enough so I can eventually practice in a band and all that. I also need money for a guitar if that means anything.

What are the pros and cons to solid states?
Rhythm Harmony Melody
Solid State
Pros: no maitenance, cheap

Cons: bad tone, some are ripoff price, eventually you want better tone, not as loud as tube (seemingly)

Tube
Pros: Good tone, seems louder than equivalent wattage SS
Cons: Eventually you need tube replacements (can happen at the worst times), expensive, dont sound good at low volumes (generally speaking)
Quote by bass-man9712
after i clicked all i could think was "please don't be goatse, please dont be goatse"

PSN: Effigyoferebus (feel free to add it)
Quote by SOCOOLITHURTS
Okay so this is my very first guitar amp. I want to get something that will last me for a long time. I know tubes sound better but solid-stats are so much cheaper. Should I just go with a $300-400 Solidstate amp or spend an assload for a good tube amp? I need my amp to be loud enough so I can eventually practice in a band and all that. I also need money for a guitar if that means anything.

What are the pros and cons to solid states?

NO.Dude Tube amps are extremely fragile and the only reason I can see in getting one is if you have the money or play in shows.Not for your first amp dude.
John 5Dimebag DarrelJimi HendrixSlash Foo Fighters

yeah the valve king would be a good first amp.
Quote by bass-man9712
after i clicked all i could think was "please don't be goatse, please dont be goatse"

PSN: Effigyoferebus (feel free to add it)
The Valvekings suggested by DiMeTiMe are about the only tube amps I'd reccomend for a first amp. They're ectremely well priced for the amazing quality you get and Peavey stuff is as reliable as it comes. A Valveking will serve you well, long after you've shed beginner status.

That said, there may be some cheaper SS options out there that suit your needs better right now.
Quote by Sirwinston89
yeah the valve king would be a good first amp.

I've heard they sound like crap though. I had originally planned on getting that amp but I was suggested otherwise. The guy who told me this had one of those Fender Blues tube amps and said they were way better. I'm sure they are but for $400 am I getting better than a $400 solid state?

btw As far as I am concerned this is what I'll be getting as my first guitar unless I can go used and get something better.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-G400-Electric-Guitar?sku=512590
Rhythm Harmony Melody
Quote by SOCOOLITHURTS
I've heard they sound like crap though. I had originally planned on getting that amp but I was suggested otherwise. The guy who told me this had one of those Fender Blues tube amps and said they were way better. I'm sure they are but for $400 am I getting better than a $400 solid state?

btw As far as I am concerned this is what I'll be getting as my first guitar unless I can go used and get something better.

You have to try the valve king yourself and see what YOU think, I tried one and it was pretty sick.

As for the guitar......... sure.
Quote by slash457
NO.Dude Tube amps are extremely fragile and the only reason I can see in getting one is if you have the money or play in shows.Not for your first amp dude.

what the ****...

how fragile do you think it is??? it's way stronger than a laptop, way stronger than an acoustic guitar in a case, way stronger than a damn TV.

people roll their Blues Jrs and Traynor amps down their stairs (accidental reasons) but surprisingly, some of them make it through.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by SOCOOLITHURTS

The only trouble with the sound of the Valvekings is that they do rely on decent gear going into them. They're not like a vintage Marshall or High end Mesa or Fender where you can plug just about anything in and it'll sound good. The Valvekings can delivera very nice tone, but they make you work for it.

The G-400 that you're looking at isn't a bad guitar, but the pickups are average, which is gonna make it harder (but certainly not impossible) to get a nice tone from the Valveking.

As for the Fender Hot Rod series against the Valvekings (Those are the closest priced fenders I could find so I assume those are the ones you mean). They're chalk and cheese. Although they both have a very american sound thanks to the 6L6 power amp tubes. The Hot Rods have a much sharper top end which is nothing like the creamy cleans on a Fender Twin, where the Valveking leans towards a mellower clean tone that tightens up considerably as you drive it harder whilst the Hot Rod gets more angular as you overdrive it.
Quote by slash457

Tube amps are NOT as fragile as people seem to like to think. If you use good common sense with your equipment (like you should with anything, tube or not), they can last a good long time.

SS Pros:
Usually come with various modeling and effects.
No need to worry about eventually changing tubes.
Fairly inexpensive in comparison to tube amps.

SS Cons:
Those same models and effects that they emulate tend to not be so good. An emulation generally does not sound as good as the real thing.
Tend to be more expensive to repair if they do (and they can) break. That's coming from a tech I spoke too earlier... Many times it's easier and more cost effective to simply replace the amp.
When turned up loud and overdriven, they clip harshly and generally sound worse because of it.
Many people claim (and depending on the model) that they seem cold sounding. Not as full or musical as tubes.

Tube Pros:
Fairly versatile in that you can buy different tubes to suit your tastes.
Have a warmer or more organic sound than SS.
Tube watts sound much louder, about 2.5 times louder than comparable SS wattage.
When overdriven, tubes don't clip harshly, and will often times sound much better, the louder they go as opposed to SS.
Because the amps are "simpler" technology wise, they tend to be easier to fix, depending on the amp. On that note, there are even groups dedicated to modding amps for special purposes (the inexpensive Epiphone Valve Junior is extremely popular for that).

Cons:
Expensive (although recent price drops are making tubes more accessible).
Tubes will eventually need to be changed, which can be an expensive endeavor depending on the amp, type of tubes, and amount of tubes. Plus labor if you don't or can't do it yourself.

edit: I've got a Valveking myself and I personally think it's a great amp. One of the first things I would suggest getting with it (and for any amp to be honest) is a simple EQ pedal. Danelectro makes a very nice, inexpensive EQ called the Fish & Chips.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Last edited by Hakael at Jan 27, 2008,
Keep your price range in mind, drop down by a local music store, try out every SS and Tube amp that is in your price range. See what cha like.
I suggest the VOX valvetronix series. You can play just about any style though those. They only use one tube to get the tube like sound and really do sound good.

OB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD7EoehgpsA
watch this and see waht you thnk of the VK -Weybl Himself- is right about a good guitar complimenting the amp n bear in mind this guy aint usin any ol peice o crap.
in your price range i couldnt suggest anything more than th VK iv been lookin for a new amp doin loads of research for weeks n im gonna get one.
also bear in mind that if ur tempted to go for the louder 212 version that being tube itll need to be played a lot louder to break up and sound as good. 50watts is more than enough to shake a house, cut through a drummer on stage and will handle smaller gigs and u can always mic it up to a PA in bigger venues.
Quote by slash457

No they aren't...eggs, butterflies, soap bubbles, rice paper lanterns...sculptures of swans made from spun sugar, those things are "extrememly fragile".

Provided you don't throw your tube amp down the stairs whilst the tubes are hot or let it roll around unsecured in a van it'll be fine.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
be sure not to play with ur tube amp on max volume for about 10 hours... itll probably explode or catch fire HAHA