Page 1 of 4
In your opinion what is the pain of being a
guitarist/music lover/ metalhead/ rocker

I think one of the pains of being a guitarist is to constantly want more gear....

I think the pain of being a music lover is spending a ton of cash on cds.....

I think the pain of liking rock is so many people assume you are emo...(well at least here they do)
The pain of being a classical guitarist is that many pianists find it difficult to consider you a "classical" musician.

The pain of playing guitar is that everyone pictures you in your rom with a black Ibanez playing Metal solos on the high notes and playing really fast with the ocassional "epik bend".
the major pain? to me is i'm sick of people telling me i'm a satanist for liking black metal
or that i'm throwing my life away..

am i? i have no life so theres nothing to throw away in the words of southpark

"how can you kill which has no life"
"you dont"
WORLDS LARGEST NAPALM DEATH FAN
QUOTE=Glen'sHeroicAct]wanting to be better

having a completely different view of music than most people do
+ infinity man, ppl say i have wierd tastes (coheed and cambria, the beatles, fiest, billy joel, elton john, shabutie, john mayer, silversun pickups)
The pain of being a guitarist is that I'm associated with mostly idiots, whom I can't relate to on a musical level.

The pain of being a music lover is that I'm easily distracted and can't focus because music always fill my head.

I'm not a big metal or rock fan, but the pain of telling people I like Necrophagist is that they think I'm immature or naive.

The pain of being a violinist is that it literally hurts after playing for 2 hours.

The pain of being a jazz and classical fan on UG is being disheartened at the pretentiousness of many members who mentions classical or jazz every now and then just to seem sophisticated and/or knowledgeable.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jan 27, 2008,
The pain of being a guitar player is the skin constantly falling off my finger tips from calluses even after 5 years of playing
having everyone doubt your music because no one has the same view of music as a guitarist
guitar brings me no pain. It's all good ma babies!
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
probly not the same kind of pain but i use 13/54 gauge and my fingers hurt alot when i play the blues
I hate the fact that when i say i like rock music, people think i like ****ty mainstream pop rock/emo ****.
The pain of being a rocker is that I'm always too heavy for most people and not heavy enough for others.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
The pain for me, is wanting to start a funk based rock band, but everyone at my school plays metal....
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
The pain of being a drummer is that everyone on UG thinks you're a goddamn Neanderthal because you play an instrument that involves beating drums with sticks.

The pain of being a music lover is knowing there are people out there that don't know what musical ability is. Sampling pre-recorded tracks into a computer program doesn't make you a professional musician, it makes you a douche who thinks they're a musician.

The pain of liking metal is that, like being a drummer on UG, three fourths of everyone thinks you're a caveman with no literacy or musical skills, and you will burn in hell for being a sinner.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
That people like Jeff Loomis exist >_>

*cough*

I'd say the unending craving for gear....
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
The pain for me, is wanting to start a funk based rock band, but everyone at my school plays metal....

thats like when you put an add for a punk band and the answers you get are

hey man i saw your add i sing and i like these bands

"atreyu,my chemical romance,fall out boy"

this is fkn pain
the pain of being a guitarist is

being part of the .01% of the guitarists in my area that plays more than "omfGZZ BR00talllz hxc mang" type music

granted, I love hardcore and metal.. but I'm in a band that is like, totally 80s sunset strip type of stuff (sorta) and thus, i get ridiculed to no end, because our vocalist can do something other than screaming, and that we actually play guitar solos, instead of mindless sweeping.

long story short.. I'm not in a hardcore band, so I automatically suck at guitar
Quote by Dog454
The pain of being a drummer is that everyone on UG thinks you're a goddamn Neanderthal because you play an instrument that involves beating drums with sticks.

The pain of being a music lover is knowing there are people out there that don't know what musical ability is. Sampling pre-recorded tracks into a computer program doesn't make you a professional musician, it makes you a douche who thinks they're a musician.

The pain of liking metal is that, like being a drummer on UG, three fourths of everyone thinks you're a caveman with no literacy or musical skills, and you will burn in hell for being a sinner.

Sampling is bomb. Sequencers, drum machines, sampling...love it all.

And yeah, everyone knows metal heads are going to hell because they are sinners.
Quote by The Madcap
The pain of being a classical guitarist is that many pianists find it difficult to consider you a "classical" musician.

The pain of playing guitar is that everyone pictures you in your rom with a black Ibanez playing Metal solos on the high notes and playing really fast with the ocassional "epik bend".

I'd imagine that to be quite a pain.

The whole thing where people have a generalized idea of a guitarist. Some rocker like you described. There's nothing wrong with guitarists like that, but generalizations pretty much always suck
the lack of a job and money and the necessity for so much gear.

really nasty callus,

guitarists that don't like the same music i do.

my guitar instructor insulting me to get me to practice even more.
the only "Pain" I have with music or being a musician is having to deal with music jocks. You have the assholes that think there king of the ****ing world if they can play eruption and spit on people that don't shred, then you have the assholes that completely disregard any music if it isn't ABSOLUTELY diatonic, if you hit an off note even if for the purposes of dissonance then they automatically throw any notions of it actually being music away, then there are just the assholes that make fun of what ever genre of music they don't listen to....pffft, other than that though music and everything about it is perfect....
Quote by Dog454

If they can do it well, they would be professionals at arrangement and structuring, which are definitely musical abilities in the composition department.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by milton847
thats like when you put an add for a punk band and the answers you get are

hey man i saw your add i sing and i like these bands

"atreyu,my chemical romance,fall out boy"

this is fkn pain

Yeah, that would suck.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
The fact that pretty much every guitarist in my school likes metal and shred and is an annoying prick who thinks the guitar is the only intrument that matters and is supierior to all the others. It's cool though, I suck it up and move on.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Dog454, metal drummers have some of the most difficult drum-related things to play.
If you listen to some classic rock, it is often just snare, bass, hi-hat (sp?), and the occasional symbol. Drumming for metal uses a lot more variety, I find. Plus, metal drummers are most aggressive, so we (guitars) can get bigger amps. Nothin better than getting a new amp

And for me, the worst thing is never finding that awesome tone you know instinctively in your head.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
the pain of being a guitarist (or any kind of musician..) is jackasses in your band.. or unreliable people for that matter too.. and wanting gear.. and like The Madcap stated.. people do assume that if you play guitar its UBER SHRED!11!!!!one! lol

i mean i do like to play LoG/CoB/BTBAM/AILD style stuff.. but /my/ style is more thrash fused with blues, psychobilly and punk

the pain of being a music lover is never having the money for CDs or concerts

the pain of my styles of music is that a lot of people put me down for liking so many kinds of music.. and it hurts my feelings when people rag on my music.. sad but true i kinda do care what they think. it hurts when they rag on your music ya know? but you just gotta shake it off and act like you dont care.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by Xiaoxi
The pain of being a violinist is that it literally hurts after playing for 2 hours.
I'm surprised by that. So many guitar teachers have told me to play in certain ways so that I won't do damage to my bones in the future, even though some of it I find unecessary. If it hurts you to play, can't that eventually cause you to have problems over time?
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
I'd imagine that to be quite a pain.

The whole thing where people have a generalized idea of a guitarist. Some rocker like you described. There's nothing wrong with guitarists like that, but generalizations pretty much always suck
I don't think the "generalized guitarist" is bad, however I pretty much hate the generalized guitarist...which people think I am.
Constantly wanting more gear. >.> But I can't since I need a job to get a car and more gear.

Also not being interested in anything other than music, which makes conversations very difficult to have unless it's about music or guitars.
I don't even shred
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER

if your a bassist you are mostly out of luck. a guitarist than most bassist like funk

the pain of being a bassist.

i get emotionally worked uped when the ignorant guitarist say that bass sucks and its stupid.

being a lefty bassist who's low e is on the bottom so people think i suck cause of that.

on the plus side

im black so some people think i am good.
4 bassist in the school. and im the one who would make the other guitarist drop me out cause i put in a difficult bassline. i dont like simple stuff. anyway it works well difficult.
i like heavier stuff which is what most of the guitarist are in.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
Quote by Xiaoxi
If they can do it well, they would be professionals at arrangement and structuring, which are definitely musical abilities in the composition department.

The thing is, they're not really putting any of their own creation into it. Sure, they can arrange tracks and make it sound great, but they don't have to have as much talent as an actual band to do it. You can put so much more emotion into a song you actually composed and recorded with your own instrument rather than a computer program with sampled notes that repeat. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all techno and electronica artists have no talent in composing music, but there are so many out there that produce the same recycled trash with the same samples and sounds that it really bothers me that they deserve to make any money for what they do.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
Quote by The Madcap
I'm surprised by that. So many guitar teachers have told me to play in certain ways so that I won't do damage to my bones in the future, even though some of it I find unecessary. If it hurts you to play, can't that eventually cause you to have problems over time?

Try keeping the weight of a violin on your shoulder for a good two hours, with your arm extended out and bent at the correct angle.

It helps reach and such, but it does start to hurt after a while. Especially if you are playing Viola. ugh.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by The Madcap

It's not really a matter of correct posture, because I think I play with correct posture. It's the sheer length of having to put your arms up for such an extensive amount of time and being in a fixed position that is exhausting. When I rehearse with my orchestra, we rehearse for 2.5 hours. Just sitting down for 2.5 hours in that position hurts my back to death.

Of course, this is all my own fault. Most people advise to take a break every hour or so. Ironically, I'm too lazy to take a break because I don't want to break out of the position.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
The pain of being a guitarist is constantly having idiots asking if you know a certain song.

Especially when they know you don't even like the genre of which the song is from.
The pain of being a music lover is having to deal with every pretentious music lover that says emo bands or indie bands are **** just because metal is the roxors. I do like metal too, but there's more to music than blistering solos and rocking as hard as you can.
...naked.
Where do all you people who say that the only guitarists you know are metalheads? Where I go to school, I'm literally the only kid in the school who likes metal.
Quote by Xiaoxi
It's not really a matter of correct posture, because I think I play with correct posture. It's the sheer length of having to put your arms up for such an extensive amount of time and being in a fixed position that is exhausting. When I rehearse with my orchestra, we rehearse for 2.5 hours. Just sitting down for 2.5 hours in that position hurts my back to death.

Of course, this is all my own fault. Most people advise to take a break every hour or so. Ironically, I'm too lazy to take a break because I don't want to break out of the position.
By the way, one of my friends is a very talented violinist, and she said that violinists can easily play Viola, and it's really a matter of learning to read a different clef. Is that true, at least for everyone?
Quote by Dog454
The thing is, they're not really putting any of their own creation into it. Sure, they can arrange tracks and make it sound great, but they don't have to have as much talent as an actual band to do it. You can put so much more emotion into a song you actually composed and recorded with your own instrument rather than a computer program with sampled notes that repeat. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all techno and electronica artists have no talent in composing music, but there are so many out there that produce the same recycled trash with the same samples and sounds that it really bothers me that they deserve to make any money for what they do.

It is, in part, their own creation. They're arranging and developing ideas in their own original ways. The result is what THEY wanted to do and to express.

And the bit about putting more emotions in a song than in a computer is subjective. I find a lot of songs to be utterly uninteresting and pointless, no matter how much human emotions is put into it.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Page 1 of 4