Hi, I`m starting out and am mostly into Rock/Metal [Think Metallica, Iron Maiden, as down as Red Hot Chilli Peppers, then all the way back up to Disturbed =)]
What guitar do you think I should get? I heard the Ibanez RG2EX1 guitar ($299) as I'm not going after $400
I also am looking for a good amp, preferably one that will give me a nice , clean tone, as well an amazing metal sound (of course). One with built in effects will be very helpful, and it shouldn't be too expensive. (not after $150)
I am also looking for a strap, a gig bag , and a tuner.
Also, is ordering from musiciansfriend safe? I am going to order my Ibanez from there IF I decide to buy it as It is not available in any store near where I live.
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the ibanez rg2ex1 is amazing. light and fast. for lots of effects, overdrive and cleans look at valvotronix by vox, and to get a metal sound out of it buy a boss os-2 or metalcore or something along those lines. no matter what amp you get you will find that a distortion pedal on top of a clean channel always works best. for a strap and gigbag and a tuner you should get a set.you can save loads on those. a cheap-y tuner works fine,you really don't need a built in metronome and all the extra stuff they give you,although a metronome helps. i suggest trying stuff out before you buy though.ibanez's are the type of guitar that some people can play and some can't. neck shapes and bodies just don't feel right to some people.and after a while a multi effects pedal is great.saves loads on buying individual pedals.
Last edited by athlete1 at Jan 27, 2008,
I gigged with an RG2EX1 today. The neck is amazing, thin and light. Not sticky at all. I'd change the strings to some DR's, that's what I did with mine. The pickups are way good for stock pickups but dimarzios still sound better. For a 300 dollar guitar, it's awesome. just get used to tuning it as much as you would normally for a $300 guitar. Tune up before each show and you're good so long as you don't friggin' yank on the strings.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by athlete1
the ibanez rg2ex1 is amazing. light and fast. for lots of effects, overdrive and cleans look at valvotronix by vox, and to get a metal sound out of it buy a boss os-2 or metalcore or something along those lines. no matter what amp you get you will find that a distortion pedal on top of a clean channel always works best. for a strap and gigbag and a tuner you should get a set.you can save loads on those. a cheap-y tuner works fine,you really don't need a built in metronome and all the extra stuff they give you,although a metronome helps. i suggest trying stuff out before you buy though.ibanez's are the type of guitar that some people can play and some can't. neck shapes and bodies just don't feel right to some people.and after a while a multi effects pedal is great.saves loads on buying individual pedals.

I would definitely get the guitar and things, the only problem is that I am ordering it online because where I live no guitar store has this guitar, so I haven't tried it at all. I have tried an Ibanez IJX40, though, and It felt great.
Um,also, the Vox Valetronix 15W is $199.99 and there's no lower priced one, is this the one you were talking about?
And thank you so much,also, does the Ibanez RGex1 have a floyd rose bridge, because I want to change strings easily as I am a newbie
yeah,the vox is a little expensive,but very worth it. and no,the rg2ex1 has no tremolo on it.if you are looking for that the rg350mdx is where it's at.
For what you're looking for definatley save up the extra few bucks and go with the Vox.

It's onboard effects are pretty good and you should be able to geta nice metal tone out of it. A good friend of mine uses the half-stack version and he plays alot of stuff by the bands you mentioned. It's not spot-on or as good a more expensive amp+pedals or anything but it'd be great for starting out and trying out different sounds.
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...